Sanding Mops?

OCtoolguy

Ray you don't have to start out buying the 2x6 inch kit and mandrill.   I have two of the the 1x4 inch kits and mandrills and it works for most anything I need a sanding mop for.   For the price of the 2x6 inch kit and mandrill you can almost get two 1x4 kits wth different grit sandpaper.   

When a 1x4 inch kit gets broken in it spreads out to about 2 to 21/2 inches thick.   Works for me.

8 minutes ago, stoney said:

Ray you don't have to start out buying the 2x6 inch kit and mandrill.   I have two of the the 1x4 inch kits and mandrills and it works for most anything I need a sanding mop for.   For the price of the 2x6 inch kit and mandrill you can almost get two 1x4 kits wth different grit sandpaper.   

When a 1x4 inch kit gets broken in it spreads out to about 2 to 21/2 inches thick.   Works for me.

I have not found anything but the 6 inch one. Where did you find it?

R

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I have not found anything but the 6 inch one. Where did you find it?

R

Well Ray I'm looking on page 20 of the latest Klingspor's catalog No. 172.   On the left side of the page they list Sanding Mop Refills in 1"x4" and 2"x6"  in 48 packs.   On the same page they have the Mandril's listed for each size.   It would seem to me they would be listed on their web site also.  

Edited by stoney

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I can certainly see why it becomes a hassle to make your own but I still feel that $75 is a bit much for that first one. I guess they want to put some money in their pocket at least once. I'll have to give some thought as to how I can beat that price. There has to be a way. I still have my wholesale resale number so maybe I can buy wholesale. Who knows?

Ray

Ray - I'm not sure what $75 mop kit you're talking about. At Klingspor, a pack of 48 pre-cut strips cost $29.95, with the mandrell = $39.80. You don't need to buy a kit.

If you make your own, a 2" wide roll of the gold sand paper cost $14.95 and the mandrel cost $9.95 = $24.80.

Ray sanding mop the smallest you would want is 6" Dia. anything smaller you start launching missiles look at Rockler or Carvewright for the 2X6.Klingspor has the Mac Mop with spindle I believe it is 2X6 or 7 for 40.00 Take my word for it they are worth the money I have a box full of sanding stuff I bought because i did not want to spend the money for the Real stuff. Now they are collecting dust from my Mac mop and sanding mop

Edited by tonylumps

20 hours ago, stoney said:

Well Ray I'm looking on page 20 of the latest Klingspor's catalog No. 172.   On the left side of the page they list Sanding Mop Refills in 1"x4" and 2"x6"  in 48 packs.   On the same page they have the Mandril's listed for each size.   It would seem to me they would be listed on their web site also.  

I don't have one of their catalogs. I just followed the link that was posted at the top of this post. Not sure who posted it but when I went there I saw that price. I'll check out Klingspor's site. Thanks.

This is the link I followed: Woodworkingshop.com and here is a pick of what I was talking about.

R

2018-02-25_1402.png

Edited by octoolguy

24 minutes ago, dgman said:

You don't need all the crap in the starter kits. All you need is the mandrel and the refill strips.

I'm not sure what all is included but I think besides the mandrel and the sandpaper, they are including spacers for between the strips. Sort of like a package of hose washers might do. All in all, a giant rip off. 

R

Actually, all that c*** is interesting.  I have a bunch of mop and the ones with spacers make the mop act a little differently in aggressiveness.  Also, old mops leave a finer finish than new ones.  Until you have tried and compared how they work I would hold off on calling them c****.

The Mac mop is entirely different and much better for more delicate work.

Yes, the kits have 2 packs of 48 strips and not a bad deal.  I do not think it is a rip off at all.   I have been using them for years and that is my experience.

Ok, it's starting to get a bit "testy" here. Not sure where we veered off the correct track. If I am wrong, I humbly apologize. From what I could see on their website, it showed one mandrel, one pack of sandpaper strips and a bunch of spacers. I didn't see any written description of what is included. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong site. Can one of you folks who feel this is a good deal please post a link to the site that you patronized. I tried going to Klingspor and it was a lesson in frustration trying to find the "mops" so I gave up. The other site that was listed early on here is where I saw the picture and pricing. Maybe, I should have been more careful in opening this topic in the first place. I sure didn't want to get anybody upset. Sorry.

R

On 2/21/2018 at 6:22 PM, octoolguy said:

I'm curious about sanding mops. I keep seeing some of you folks referring to them. I did go out looking but only really found one source and size. Is that all there is? I was hoping to find something a bit smaller that what I'm seeing. Is $30 the going price? Any info appreciated.

Ray

I designed one and is simple to load,I need to refine the pattern for it so it's self explanatory.No idea where it is but remember all the info to draw it out again.Besides sandpaper, you need the mandrel washers and nuts and 1/8th dowel rods. Will except any sand paper in strips!

14 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

I designed one and is simple to load,I need to refine the pattern for it so it's self explanatory.No idea where it is but remember all the info to draw it out again.Besides sandpaper, you need the mandrel washers and nuts and 1/8th dowel rods. Will except any sand paper in strips!

Kevin, what you are talking about would be for a Dremel or similar mini tool. I'm wanting something bigger with at least a 1/4" shaft.

R

Ray did you make the same mistake I did When you searched Kingspor for sanding mop there are more than just the one page There are about 150 items that show up.My new set just came in It has 48 sheets 2 arbors spacers and plastic end caps for polishing This one is 320 grit .Now just the 6" refills  are 19.00 and use allthread for an arbor.

6 hours ago, tonylumps said:

Ray did you make the same mistake I did When you searched Kingspor for sanding mop there are more than just the one page There are about 150 items that show up.My new set just came in It has 48 sheets 2 arbors spacers and plastic end caps for polishing This one is 320 grit .Now just the 6" refills  are 19.00 and use allthread for an arbor.

Thanks Tony, I'll do another search. If you still have the link, it might help.

R