Where to get a blade clamp screw w/some sort of "knob"?

hippygirl

I have a Skil 3335 SS and have been looking for an easier/quicker way to release the top of the blade (it uses an M4-0.7x25mm pan head screw and hex key...PAIN IN THE BUTT!). I can find them all OVER the place for M6 and up and in standard sizes (not metric), but the M4s that I've been able to find so far have been too short.

Any ideas? Lowes and HD have regular thumb screws in standard sizes in stock locally, but I'd have to re-tap the hole, but that blade clamp is an awfully small part to tap (not a lot of wiggle room, so to speak).

Thanks.

Well, I did manage to find this online at Grainger a few minutes ago...same size as what I have (M4-0.7x25mm)...looks like it'll work...

As for the DIY wooden knob, love the idea, but I don't have any forstner bits, but I could use a spade bit (as you can see, I'm thinking this mess through as I type ;) ).

Capture.JPG

Edited by hippygirl
Added info

I used to have the same problem with my old sear/craftsman. I hated it and bought a whole box of M6 hex bolts. Glad I sold it. Looked up you bolt size on the net and found some options. Check it out. https://www.bing.com/shop?q=+M4-0.7x25mm+thumb+screw&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=F519F3BDE0A643B6B3BBEA02A8FC056B

7 hours ago, hippygirl said:

Well, I did manage to find this online at Grainger a few minutes ago...same size as what I have (M4-0.7x25mm)...looks like it'll work...

As for the DIY wooden knob, love the idea, but I don't have any forstner bits, but I could use a spade bit (as you can see, I'm thinking this mess through as I type ;) ).

Capture.JPG

You do own a scrollsaw. No forstner bit needed. 

2 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

have you tried ereplacementparts.com? Put in the model of your saw & you'll get a full schematic of it. You can order the parts for it from there. Might be easier then huntin' a screw that won't work, huh?

Been there...no luck.

I have the Skil 3335-01...it uses an M4-0.7 socket head screw to clamp the blade which means I have to use an allen wrench to release the top of the blade. What I'm trying to find is an alternative to that screw so that I can quickly and easily release the top of the blade (no allen wrench needed).

The Skil 3335-07 (I assume it's a later version) has a tool-free clamp, but, IIRC, the threads are M6...won't fit my saw.

I "did" cobble together a version of Steve Good's wooden knob...M4-0.7x35mm hex-head screw (not a socket head and I figured I'd need extra length to accommodate the wood, washers, and nyloc nut), 1/4" pine...it's VERY secure in the wood and does NOT slip, but it will NOT close the clamp enough to secure the blade. Both the screws are M4-0.7, but they are different materials (the one I bought today is zinc coated...the socket head is, I think, black oxide), so perhaps...somehow...magically, that's the problem. WHO KNOWS!!!

Anyway, I'm going BACK to HD tomorrow and get the M4-0.7x40mm socket head (started to get it today instead of the hex head, but nooooo), a handful of the nyloc nuts, the epoxy resin (because now I'll have to inset the screw head) and have at it again using 3/4 pine.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of what I made today...

knob1.png

knob2.png

Edited by hippygirl
corrected ".07" to "0.7"

3 hours ago, Rockytime said:

That is one fine looking knob you made.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Looks good to me.  Just be careful.  With the knob you have more torque.  Do not over tighten or you will strip the threads on the clamp.

...but, for some reason, it won't close the clamp enough to hold the blade. To add insult to injury, the SAME screw WITHOUT the knob assembly DOES close it.

Went to HD today, picked up a few different screws of the same size (M4-0.7), extra nyloc nuts, fender washers, 2-part epoxy, and a 1/2" piece of poplar (I'm determined to get this to work!).

I can tell you one thing for certain...if I can learn to make my cuts as cleanly/neatly as what I've seen here and enjoy doing it (fighting with a piece of equipment sucks ALL of the joy out of a project!), I won't have this problem with my next SS...I don't care if it takes me a YEAR to save up for it!

Well looky here...TWO options at McMaster-Carr.

Saw a reference online to "cam levers" and "cam handles", did a search and voila!

I "think" the first one is the safer bet (it is, after all, a screw), but I'm going to call them tomorrow, tell them what I'll be using it for, and see what they can tell me about the clamping "force" of the 2nd one shown.

MC-Lever Handle.JPG

MC-Cam Lever1.JPG

Ended up ordering a 2-pack from Amazon (like the one in the first pic) for half the price as shown above, tossed in the clear test tubes for blade storage, and a $5 bowl scraper to get the order at/above $25 for free shipping. I also had a $10 credit so the entire order cost $17.

I did go to HD again for extra parts, but ended up with the same result (screw wouldn't close the clamp with the wood knob attached), so I'll return the unopened items tomorrow.

Now I can quit "fretting" over it! ;)

UPDATE - new blade clamp "handle" for Skill 3335...IT WORKS!!!

It wouldn't pull the clamp together at first (and, yes, I almost went into "hurling obscenities into the cosmos while flinging the offending item wildly across the room" mode), but once I ran the threads over some beeswax it worked like a charm and is holding tight!

Now I can start drilling some holes! :)

handle1.png

Well, so much for that...BOTH of the handles (the handle part, NOT the screw that goes through the blade clamp) have stripped or something!

When the first one failed yesterday, I was sawing away, practicing curves, and the blade suddenly came loose (scared the bejeezus outta me, too!). I thought I might not have had enough of the blade in the top clamp, so when I went to unscrew the thing to open the clamp, it wouldn't "catch". Finally got it out, took the screw and spring out of the end of the handle so I could get a look...sure enough, several of the teeth seemed to be stripped.

OK, so this is why I got TWO of them, so I popped the other one on and it worked fine for the rest of my session...loosened the tension at the top-rear of the arm, and called it a day. This afternoon, I decided to try out my new FD Jeweler's blade, removed the old blade, put in the jeweler's blade, started to close the clamp and whammo...it stripped (que "hurling obscenities into the cosmos" thing)

So I'm right back where I started. I don't know if the blade clamp that came on my machine is defective or something, but even with the original hex head screws, it's pretty hard to close the clamp...I guess that's what stripped them.

I'm going to order a replacement blade holder (only costs $4.18+$5 shipping from M&M Tools) with the hope it might close more easily, but I'm finished with this handle business...time to start saving for another machine.

In the meantime, practice, practice, practice.