Piano Music Box

MarieC

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dgman said:

Beautiful work Marie! Did you do the inlay?

Thank you!  None of it is inlay.  The music notes on the front of the box is gold leaf burnished on the wood directly and then finished over that.  A bit risky so next time I will figure out a way to scroll saw it and fill it with gold epoxy. 

Edited by MarieC

WOW Marie!!!!!  That is beautiful.  My wife used to collect music boxes, I know she would have loved this one.  About a year ago I bought a book of music box patterns but haven't quite figured out how to do everthing.  Maybe some day.  Any way, beautiful work Marie, simply beautiful.

Jerry

18 hours ago, Peter N White said:

First class work for sure your daughter will surely love it.

Thank you.  I will be giving it to her this Saturday.   My husband bought a necklace to go in it.  I do hope she likes it.😊

18 hours ago, Denny Knappen said:

That is a work of art.  Lots of time into that one.

Thank you!  Yes, it seemed to take forever.   I made a prototype first with a lot of boo-boos but made quite a few corrections for this one.  Thanks again.🙂

18 hours ago, jerry walters said:

WOW Marie!!!!!  That is beautiful.  My wife used to collect music boxes, I know she would have loved this one.  About a year ago I bought a book of music box patterns but haven't quite figured out how to do everthing.  Maybe some day.  Any way, beautiful work Marie, simply beautiful.

Jerry

Jerry, thank you!  My daughter also loves music boxes...ever since she was a little kid. I would love to know the name of the book.  I hope to make more of them. Thanks again! 

3 hours ago, MarieC said:

Jerry, thank you!  My daughter also loves music boxes...ever since she was a little kid. I would love to know the name of the book.  I hope to make more of them. Thanks again! 

Got it from Fox Chapel Publishing.

Custom Wooden Music Boxes for the Scroll Saw – Fox Chapel Publishing Co.

9 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Marie,  That is a stunning piece of artwork.  I am sure it will become a treasured piece immediately.  And then loved for a long time. 

Can you describe how you burnished the gold leaf?  It sounds like an intriguing process.

So this I believe was meant to go on glass.  I have done glass gilding with real gold leaf.  I think this was the imitation stuff.   Anyway, not meant for wood. It didn't really want to stay....would recommend sanding the wood to probably 800 grit before applying it.   I bought the stuff awhile back...can't remember where I purchased it.  This was pre-cut for this design...You use a small wooden tool to burnish it on. Thanks again! 😊

3 hours ago, Charlie E said:

Holy cow! That is fantastic, Marie! I really like all the sideways veneer. Makes everything pop. Wonderful!

Charlie, thank you...  Coming from you that is quite the compliment!....Veneer is tricky because they seem to vary in thickness so some fit great and others not so much.... especially when you are trying to fill in for the size of the wood that was removed by the kerf of the saw blade.  It was a crazy idea anyway.  Thank you again. 😊