Printer/Inkscape problem

@TravisI've run up a stump on a project. I'm using a pattern that was shared by FrankEV for a tissue box cover and it calls for dimensions of 5/0" x 5/5". I imported the pattern into Inkscape and broke it apart using the Object/Ungroup command to get just the pattern off the page that also held instructions for building. That all went well. I isolated the pattern and specified document settings of 8/5" x 11.0" letter size paper. The pattern will not print the actual size. I've sized the pattern for the above dimensions but it keeps printing a 1/4" short on both sides. I'm tired of wasting paper and toner trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can anybody give me some help? I'm using my Brother laser printer and I've never run into this problem before. Frank's patter came on 11" x 17" format but specified 8.5 " x 11.0" paper. I'm stumped. HELP!

Seahorse-tissue-box.pdf

Edited by OCtoolguy

16 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Ray, sorryI can't help, inkscape is like living in a foreign country. I was lost at what you have done already, someone will have the answer, RJ

PS this is martins week

I hope so. He needs a win just to stay in the running. His luck sucks. As does his pit crew. I hope he doesn't retire.

It is a rectangle.  Use a pencil and ruler to make the copy the right dimensions for the perimeter by drawing a new rectangle around it 1/8" off set from the copy lines..  The internal pattern will be slightly smaller, but no one will ever know.  No need to make it complicated.

If you want complicated, since the pattern is supposed to be 5" wide and measures 5 1/4", use a reduction percentage in "transform" of:

5/5.25 x 100 = 95.24%

Tom

16 minutes ago, jollyred said:

It is a rectangle.  Use a pencil and ruler to make the copy the right dimensions for the perimeter by drawing a new rectangle around it 1/8" off set from the copy lines..  The internal pattern will be slightly smaller, but no one will ever know.  No need to make it complicated.

If you want complicated, since the pattern is supposed to be 5" wide and measures 5 1/4", use a reduction percentage in "transform" of:

5/5.25 x 100 = 95.24%

Tom

Thanks but the pattern within the rectangle has to be increased by the same ratio. I'm really looking for the reason why this is happening and what the fix is. 

32 minutes ago, Wichman said:
Ray,     I've been looking at the pattern. Are you sure you got all three lines of the outside of the pattern (the squares)? If you only got the dashed inside lines it would print 1/4" short.
I've printed it a few times in my efforts to find a fix and have had it come out multiple ways. I've cut the outer panels and now need 5 copies to make stencils/masks for painting the colored details that will show through. So they must be a correct match to the scrolled pieces. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. 

Have you checked your printer settings?  Many times your printer will have options like Fit to Page or something similar.  If that is checked, it will scale your image to fit.  You don't want that.  Make sure you don't scale anything on the printer.  

19 minutes ago, Travis said:

Looking at your PDF, it looks like it's 11x17.  So when it prints to 8.5x11, it is shrinking it down.

You can try pullint it into Inkscape and just printing the sections you need.

image.png

I did that. I ungrouped, resized and grouped. I've checked printer settings. There are none that would affect the size. 

It's because your document is 11x17, which is too big for your printer.  So I'm guessing your printer is scaling it down when it prints.  

If you go to File>Document Properties, you can see the size.

The easiest way would be to just copy the stuff you want to a new 8.5x11" document and print that.  I've attached a .svg that might work (depending on how your printer deals with margins)

box.svg

I just took the PDF and imported to Inkscape.

Deleted all the text. Including the sizes.

grouped each box and moved to an 8 1/2 x 11 page and printed on my Lenmark laser printer and the boxes are exactly 5 x 5 and 5 x 5 1/2.

I would assume it is your print driver.

I have had issues in the past, so I saved the svg as a PDF and print from Acrobat Reader and it will show you what is printing exactly.  

I have been doing a lot of designs larger than 8 1/2 x 11 so I just select all the items and group and then export to PDF making sure I specify the selection (not the page).

Open in Acrobat and use the poster feature.  

On 6/7/2024 at 4:42 PM, OCtoolguy said:

I hope so. He needs a win just to stay in the running. His luck sucks. As does his pit crew. I hope he doesn't retire.

Martin is snakebit. Somebody should inform him that 19 is his car number. Not where he's supposed to run. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 8:03 AM, rjweb said:

Ray,

yes that was a tough one, but nobody was going to beat the 5 car, I hate when he wins that whole hendrick group are stinking up the leauge, will see what next week brings, RJ

Yeah, a 2nd would have been ok. 

Edited by OCtoolguy

1 hour ago, crupiea said:

I would insert it into excel.

Then you can size it any size you want big or small and it will print it properly.

if you dont have excel any spreadsheet program will work.  no need to play around with printer settings and all that hassle. 

For some reason I never think of doing that. Could you maybe PM me and give me a short tutorial on how to do it? I can send you the pattern if it would help to explain it. 

I do not really like how Good Kyle Larson is and is up front almost every race,

but I gotta admit that He Is a Good Nascar Driver.  Almost as Good as Jimmy and Jeff.

Some of the New Drivers are showing they know how to drive and win.  Oh well.  :+}