162 Christmas Ornaments Drying

kmmcrafts

1 hour ago, DWSUDEKUM said:

Very nicely done Kevin.  That is a lot of ornaments.  One could stretch a line or two and hang them from it so that they can dry from all sides.  This way you could put it in an out of the normal walk way area and continue on.  Thanks for sharing these with us.

DW

Thank you DW

That's a pretty good idea.. My father use to do that... not sure why I hadn't thought of it before LOL.. This finishing area is actually an area that isn't used other than storage.. Its the loft above my shop.. the loft area is 14 x 32.. But I do like the idea of hanging them up better than building a drying table.. 

1 hour ago, GPscroller said:

Wow, you have been busy and it is not even the of May yet.  Good plan.  Nicely done.

Jeff

Thank you,

Yeah, right now I'm just trying to restock the ornaments I've sold out of last winter.. I normally stock about 200 different styles.. and try to keep at least 10 of each style on hand.. and 20+ of the more popular styles.. sometimes the 20 isn't enough.. especially when companies order them for the employees Christmas party.. not too uncommon to get a order of 200.. and usually a week before they need them, LOL has happen 3 years in a row now..  luckily I can stack cut 4-6 at a time :)   

21 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Wow! You are sure getting a jump start on Christmas. I use large paper clips opened up to hang mine.

Thank you,

That is another great idea.. I wonder how many ornaments would fit on a line that is 32 ft long.. :) ... I'm about to find out.. LOL 

2 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Wow! You are sure getting a jump start on Christmas. I use large paper clips opened up to hang mine.

This is what I do and hang from a makeshift line in basement. I do this alot with things like wall plaques and wall clocks too.  Nice group and good head start for the season. Never too early.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I hang my stuff as well, keep in mind you must be cognizant that there are not any runs or drips when you hang them, I also use paper clips for mine but I also do use thin gauge wire.

When there may be drips I usually hang about for 5 minutes and take a small paint brush(foam) and wack them so that they spin on and around the road, it throws the ships off and its all good...

you have been a busy guy!

well done

Edited by WayneG

6 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

This is what I do and hang from a makeshift line in basement. I do this alot with things like wall plaques and wall clocks too.  Nice group and good head start for the season. Never too early.

Thanks JT..

I know you mentioned using Danish oil in many post.. Doesn't this stink up the house doing that in the basement? I will say Danish oil doesn't smell too awful compared to the Blo / Mineral spirits I mixed up.. and I even used what was called low oder mineral spirits...  I do my finishing in the loft above the shop.. closed off from the dust etc from the downstairs and I open up the windows.. I still can't stand the smell in my shop for a couple of days.. even with the big garage doors open and the windows open in the shop area, LOL 

Going to use the stuff up.. but never making it again.. I'll stick to the Danish oil, LOL and my beeswax mineral oil mix that I use in the winter for rush orders..  

5 hours ago, WayneG said:

I hang my stuff as well, keep in mind you must be cognizant that there are not any runs or drips when you hang them, I also use paper clips for mine but I also do use thin gauge wire.

When there may be drips I usually hang about for 5 minutes and take a small paint brush(foam) and wack them so that they spin on and around the road, it throws the ships off and its all good...

you have been a busy guy!

well done

Thanks Wayne, 

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Thanks JT..

I know you mentioned using Danish oil in many post.. Doesn't this stink up the house doing that in the basement? I will say Danish oil doesn't smell too awful compared to the Blo / Mineral spirits I mixed up.. and I even used what was called low oder mineral spirits...  I do my finishing in the loft above the shop.. closed off from the dust etc from the downstairs and I open up the windows.. I still can't stand the smell in my shop for a couple of days.. even with the big garage doors open and the windows open in the shop area, LOL 

Going to use the stuff up.. but never making it again.. I'll stick to the Danish oil, LOL and my beeswax mineral oil mix that I use in the winter for rush orders..  

Kevin I use Danish oil on 99% of all projects I make. I always do the staining outdoors and like you I try to get 95% of my work done by the fall so that when I stain outdoors I can leave to dry for a good 10 to 12 hours. I also do most my staining as a huge group. Unlike you I do not sell during the entire year so I can stock pile easier.  I bring in house and down to shop and stage either on the line as mentioned or on a drying plywood rack. The worse part of the smell is gone in 24 hours and I have used this for so many years I have gotten use to and actually like the smell . The smell does not permeate over the house at all which has not affected anyone else so that is a good thing. Love my Danish oil.