DeWalt vs Delta

orangeman

This no doubt has been discussed before but is there any difference between the DeWalt 788 and Delta scroll saws? Lowe's has the DeWalt for $489 and the Delta for $407.

Since I wear out a DeWalt 788 in 12-18 months, the 3 yr extended service plan from Lowe's is attractive at $60.

I'm assuming the Delta fits into the DeWalt stand.

Comments?

bb

Edited by orangeman
add

It's not really a direct answer to your question, but if you are wearing Dewalts out in 12-18 months, I doubt you will see a big difference with the Delta.  I presume most of the components are the same, so subject to the same wear.  My suggestion would be to invest in a better quality saw.  Yes, they are much more money, but there are several to choose from and in the long run you will be much better off.

28 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

It's not really a direct answer to your question, but if you are wearing Dewalts out in 12-18 months, I doubt you will see a big difference with the Delta.  I presume most of the components are the same, so subject to the same wear.  My suggestion would be to invest in a better quality saw.  Yes, they are much more money, but there are several to choose from and in the long run you will be much better off.

I have a dewalt for 5 years  and It needs maintence evey couple of years The last time I had to put a new motor in it . I don't have the shop that is big enough to do the work myself The first time it cost $39 and the second time they kep it for 6 weeks , I contacted Dewalt about the time and they sent a repairman down because the repair shop repair man quit any way they put a new motor in it checked it out good changed some bearingsand did a good job and the charge was $000. When it comes time to replace it  I will think hard about a better machine.

IKE

1 hour ago, Bill WIlson said:

I also have an RBI Hawk and Hegner. I prefer the DeWalt over both of them. Currently I am using both Hegner and Hawk and blade breakage is an issue with both. Never broke a blade with the DeWalt.

bb

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

I just ordered the Delta saw from Home Depot. $399, plus $60 for 3 yr warranty, plus tax.

Knowing the history of this  DeWalt clone I fully expect to use the warranty within 18 months of purchase! And again after another 18 months!

bb

And knowing first hand of the history of Delta parts you will be S.O.L. when you need parts!

If you keep wearing out saws Why are you not going to a more reliable high end saw?  Like a Hawk or a Hegner?  

Orangeman why are you breaking blades on the Hawk and Hegner? Where are the blades breaking? Check your tension. I rarely break a blade on my Hawk G4-26 if I do it is because I pushed it too long or over tensioned it.

6 hours ago, Rolf said:

If you keep wearing out saws Why are you not going to a more reliable high end saw?  Like a Hawk or a Hegner?  

Orangeman why are you breaking blades on the Hawk and Hegner? Where are the blades breaking? Check your tension. I rarely break a blade on my Hawk G4-26 if I do it is because I pushed it too long or over tensioned it.

I have both RBI Hawk and a Hegner saws.

I'll take the DeWalt any day vs those saws even with the shorter life. Spent this morning on both Hegner and Hawk. Can't decide which one I hate most. Blade tensioning and blade changes are more cumbersome vs DeWalt. And blade breakage is a big problem. I've varied the tension and the blades still break about an inch above the bottom blade holder on both saws. Very frustrating morning.

And both Hegner and Hawk are very bad for the heart. Scares the you know what outta me when a blade breaks!

bb

15 hours ago, Rolf said:

Orangeman , What vintage Hawk? 

I contacted Bushton and they said the serial # indicated it was a late 90's model. I bought the saw for $100 a year ago. It came with a boatload of spiral blades and the hole in the table where the blade is was all ragged - have no idea how it was used in the past.

It is not my only experience with a Hawk saw. 10 years ago(+ or -) I bought a new RBI HAwk. It vibrated so bad I had  to send it back because Hawk could not solve the problem over the phone. Got a refund on the saw less my cost to ship it back.

Both Hawk and Hegner would be ideal saws if they had blade changing and tensioning like the DeWalt.

bb

On 5/28/2018 at 9:16 AM, Rolf said:

Progress on the Hegner. I switched from a #5 to a #7 blade and was able to cut out puzzles on 3/4 soft maple which was the hardest soft maple I have ever seen. No blade breakage before I had to change the blade because it dulled.

I did notice there is a slight wobble to the blade; perhaps that is why I break so many blades. Too much friction where the blade meets the wood.

bb