Spray Finish

edward

I use "Deft Clear Wood Finish".  I love it, but I have read you cannot get it in some parts of the U.S.   I get it a Home Depot.  Great stuff.  Only down side they are starting to use steel ball bearings in the can instead of the glass marbles...  I prefer glass marbles....

I too like the Deft Clear Wood Finish which is a lacquer. It is hard to find here in California. I used to get it at Home Depot and Lowes. I can now only get it at a small chain called Orchard Supply or Osh. Deft also sells a water bourn finish, which I hate. 

I don’t know what difference a metal ball over a glass ball makes unless you collect balls! 😂

I went to Home Depot the other day to buy some MinWax stain. They have it all on close-out sale. I asked why they only had 3 colors of gel stain and they told me that Sherwin-Williams has bought out MinWax so H/D is dropping them. Have any of you folks heard that or is it B.S.? I know Lowes still has it but I didn't go there yet. At least they have it online. H/D doesn't even show it anymore online. Nothing but Verathane.

5 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I went to Home Depot the other day to buy some MinWax stain. They have it all on close-out sale. I asked why they only had 3 colors of gel stain and they told me that Sherwin-Williams has bought out MinWax so H/D is dropping them. Have any of you folks heard that or is it B.S.? I know Lowes still has it but I didn't go there yet. At least they have it online. H/D doesn't even show it anymore online. Nothing but Verathane.

I was there earlier today. Now understand all the YELLOW tags on some of the products 

I used to love the Deft spray also but, have not seen it available in this area for a long time.

Now I use either Rustoleum which says it is a crystal clear enamel or Krylon which their web-site says is a clear acrylic.
Both are fast drying. The Krylon says on the can non-yellowing and, although not stated on the can, I have not had any
problems with iRustoleum yellowing either. The last time I bought Rustoleum because they now have a 15 ounce can cheaper than
the 12 ounce can of their own product or the 12 ounce can of Krylon.

There are lots of warnings about health issues like cancer, nerve disorders, birth defects and respiratory problems with
both of these products but, that seems to be normal with practically any of these type products.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I was using Valspar Gloss lacquer that I bought from Lowes and was very happy with the results. I went back and could not find it on the shelf? Asked the paint manager and he said that Sherman Williams had bought them and discontinuing some of the spray lines. Got the same answer from Home Depot. Tried S/W's Krylon product. Their phrase on the can is " No runs, Nor Drips, No Errors. Not so much. I used a black lacquer for the backing of one of my car projects, well it didn't cover well and dripped out of the nozzle all over the project! I probably would not have seen that on the gloss Clear Lacquer. I bought the Min-wax Spray and it works well but it scares me to think that Sherman-Williams have bought them out also! I have also used the Deft Lacquer with good results. I am concerned that there are fewer  choices available...…..

3 hours ago, Karl S said:

Let all of the pressure out of the can and turn it over and punch the bottom with a "Church Key"

and remove said ball from the can.

Karl S., now you are going to have to "educate" the younger folks here on what a "church key" is. A lot of them have no idea what they missed in their short lives.

6 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Karl S., now you are going to have to "educate" the younger folks here on what a "church key" is. A lot of them have no idea what they missed in their short lives.

I had to go look it up. Turns out it is what I use to open up my cans, I just didn't know what it was called. 

My students love when I open up a can, most of them don't believe me when I tell them a marble is in it.

55 minutes ago, MrsN said:

I had to go look it up. Turns out it is what I use to open up my cans, I just didn't know what it was called. 

My students love when I open up a can, most of them don't believe me when I tell them a marble is in it.

Beer was at one time in cans that had no pull tab. So, a church key was necessary. A lot of us used to have one on our key chain.

Edited by octoolguy

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Beer was at one time in cans that had no pull tab. So, a church key was necessary. A lot of us used to have one on our key chain.

I have five of them that belonged to my dad, they have been around for a long time. He owned a tavern in his early days, back when I was born 83 years ago They were advertising give aways back then.

14 hours ago, Karl S said:

I have five of them that belonged to my dad, they have been around for a long time. He owned a tavern in his early days, back when I was born 83 years ago They were advertising give aways back then.

I still have 5 of them but the only reason is because they have bottle openers on the other end. I drink Corona and Heineken. Those two companies still haven't figured out the screw cap.