Howdy to the Village

lew

I've been off the grid for a while.....sold our house in Maryland and bought one in Vermont. Been very busy with inspections, repairs, paperwork, packing....and so on!

Shop time has been on hold for a bit.....We will be be moving Aug 21.

My first priority will be setting up the wood and tin shop.....although my wife may think otherwise!!!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the Summer!!!

Lew

2 hours ago, oldhudson said:

Good luck with the move. Remember to LIFT with your legs and not your back. 

The plan is to lift with the professional movers that we hired!!!! 

We are packing boxes but not a teenager anymore!!!

Edited by lew

6 hours ago, lew said:

I've been off the grid for a while.....sold our house in Maryland and bought one in Vermont. Been very busy with inspections, repairs, paperwork, packing....and so on!

Shop time has been on hold for a bit.....We will be be moving Aug 21.

My first priority will be setting up the wood and tin shop.....although my wife may think otherwise!!!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the Summer!!!

Lew

Thanks for the update Lew, I hope it all goes as well as it can for you. We are all anxious to see your place, your shop and of course, your scroll work.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks for the update Lew, I hope it all goes as well as it can for you. We are all anxious to see your place, your shop and of course, your scroll work.

Thanks!! I can't wait to get the shop up and running! 

I'll post some pics of the house....it's a pre civil war brick home in a small village in the foothills of the mountains.

Thanks for the nice thoughts!!

Lew- I hope your move goes well.  Mine has been very slow/ Moved in mid December from the Chesnee about 20 miles to Spartanburg , SC  At 75  its not as easy for my wife and  I as it was when 50,  Got house just about  just about settled little more and we will be finished. However my shop is moved but a real mess.  We were careful to get everything in the shop,but wouln"t you know it yesterday I found a box with my woodworking planes in the house!  Guess I will have everything set after I get power to it and can get it settled. Good luck on getting  yours settled.  Dave

AS you may know, we moved a year ago this month from Oregon to Arizona. It  was a long move, luckily my son and grandson helped a lot. They picked up a Uhaul truck, helped load it and drove it to Arizona. We sold almost all our furniture before the move and a lot of shop tools to make sure we could get everything into our U haul. Professional movers wanted over $10,000 to do the job. New furniture was less then it would have cost us to hire a mover. We ended up way ahead going that way. Good luck on your move..Getting old sure has it's drawbacks, even though it beats the alternative

Dick

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

AS you may know, we moved a year ago this month from Oregon to Arizona. It  was a long move, luckily my son and grandson helped a lot. They picked up a Uhaul truck, helped load it and drove it to Arizona. We sold almost all our furniture before the move and a lot of shop tools to make sure we could get everything into our U haul. Professional movers wanted over $10,000 to do the job. New furniture was less then it would have cost us to hire a mover. We ended up way ahead going that way. Good luck on your move..Getting old sure has it's drawbacks, even though it beats the alternative

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, back in 07 I retired from the tool business. We knew at that time that without and income, we wouldn't be able to keep our house in So.Cal. The property taxes alone would have been out of the question. Anyway, we already had a big 5th wheel trailer and a CC dually pickup so we sold everything. I mean everything, and hit the road in search of that "perfect place" to retire to. Long story short, we found many places that were wonderful. For about 6 months out of the year.  We ended up coming back to So. Cal. and found a great mobile home community a mile from the beach. It's not perfect but the weather is. There are many times in life that a person must make sacrifices in order to continue on. This was one of those times. We hate the politics, the crowds and the high cost of living. But the weather is unbeatable. Especially for us at our age. We are now closer to 80 than we are to 70 so comfort is all important. And, my wife is very happy as am I. Sure, I'd love to have my big old 3 car garage back but I'm very fortunate to have what I have now. When you are happy, nothing else matters. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:47 PM, octoolguy said:

Dick, back in 07 I retired from the tool business. We knew at that time that without and income, we wouldn't be able to keep our house in So.Cal. The property taxes alone would have been out of the question. Anyway, we already had a big 5th wheel trailer and a CC dually pickup so we sold everything. I mean everything, and hit the road in search of that "perfect place" to retire to. Long story short, we found many places that were wonderful. For about 6 months out of the year.  We ended up coming back to So. Cal. and found a great mobile home community a mile from the beach. It's not perfect but the weather is. There are many times in life that a person must make sacrifices in order to continue on. This was one of those times. We hate the politics, the crowds and the high cost of living. But the weather is unbeatable. Especially for us at our age. We are now closer to 80 than we are to 70 so comfort is all important. And, my wife is very happy as am I. Sure, I'd love to have my big old 3 car garage back but I'm very fortunate to have what I have now. When you are happy, nothing else matters. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Great story!! Especially the part about when you are happy, nothing else matters..I couldn't agree more and glad to hear it works for you!!