Baltic birch

Mabel H.

I buy mine local in the 60 x 60 inch square size.. I have them cut it into 3rds so it's easier handling on my small table saw.. They do it for free if it takes them less than 5 minutes..  I've always read that the 4 x 8 sheets is not real BB just birch plywood.... 

There use to be a website where you could find local distributors of lumber and plywood etc.. Can't think of the name of it now 

Edited to add: I just realized you're from west Michigan.. Not sure how close to Charlotte you are but I buy most my supplies from LL Johnson lumber out of Charlotte Mi.. They have a yearly " Wood Expo " where they run sales on lumber and plywood's etc.. and have demonstrations, tool  sales etc.. I try to by my years worth of supplies during this expo.. And.. it just so happens to be coming up in September.. I don't know the dates off the top of my head but.. you can google them for their web site and they should have something on there about it.. Usually first part of Sept.  Last year the 1/8" BB ply in the 60 x 60 size was like $12 a sheet normally runs about $15.00  I think..

Expo is Sept. 7-8

http://www.theworkbench.com/expo.php

Edited by kmmcrafts

On 8/10/2018 at 4:41 PM, kmmcrafts said:

I buy mine local in the 60 x 60 inch square size.. I have them cut it into 3rds so it's easier handling on my small table saw.. They do it for free if it takes them less than 5 minutes..  I've always read that the 4 x 8 sheets is not real BB just birch plywood.... 

There use to be a website where you could find local distributors of lumber and plywood etc.. Can't think of the name of it now 

Edited to add: I just realized you're from west Michigan.. Not sure how close to Charlotte you are but I buy most my supplies from LL Johnson lumber out of Charlotte Mi.. They have a yearly " Wood Expo " where they run sales on lumber and plywood's etc.. and have demonstrations, tool  sales etc.. I try to by my years worth of supplies during this expo.. And.. it just so happens to be coming up in September.. I don't know the dates off the top of my head but.. you can google them for their web site and they should have something on there about it.. Usually first part of Sept.  Last year the 1/8" BB ply in the 60 x 60 size was like $12 a sheet normally runs about $15.00  I think..

Expo is Sept. 7-8

http://www.theworkbench.com/expo.php

Kevin that is where I am going to buy my Baltic birch, so don't buy it all. I have been going there the last five years and have enjoyed it. I have gotten some great deals on machinery as well as wood.

14 minutes ago, Woodmaster1 said:

Kevin that is where I am going to buy my Baltic birch, so don't buy it all. I have been going there the last five years and have enjoyed it. I have gotten some great deals on machinery as well as wood.

LOL, I actually won't be buying much if any BB this year.. because I bought a lot of it last year and haven't used nearly what I thought I would.. But stay away from the Cherry lumber..LOL no they'll have plenty.. They should anyway.. They have a work crew that runs 24-7 365 days a year.. They use to have a mill there but that's been gone for quite a few years now.. they just contract it from other mills.. and they have a crew that just loads and unloads trucks of lumber pretty much 24-7.. They have a crew that just runs a planner and an edger 24-7.. That place turns out a lot of lumber.. every year.. place runs pretty much 24-7 365 days.. holidays and all.. LOL..

They have a store in South Bend IN.. have you been to it? Use to have several other stores but now they just have the two.. 

I use to have a lumber yard like that which was my go to source for all woods exotic to BB. They had a fire 2 years ago and never brought it back. I miss that place. I have found another not that much further from them so that is now my go to place. But what little BB I use I did get from Amazon and was excellent quality. Price wise I never did shop it around so can not comment. 

6 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

LOL, I actually won't be buying much if any BB this year.. because I bought a lot of it last year and haven't used nearly what I thought I would.. But stay away from the Cherry lumber..LOL no they'll have plenty.. They should anyway.. They have a work crew that runs 24-7 365 days a year.. They use to have a mill there but that's been gone for quite a few years now.. they just contract it from other mills.. and they have a crew that just loads and unloads trucks of lumber pretty much 24-7.. They have a crew that just runs a planner and an edger 24-7.. That place turns out a lot of lumber.. every year.. place runs pretty much 24-7 365 days.. holidays and all.. LOL..

They have a store in South Bend IN.. have you been to it? Use to have several other stores but now they just have the two.. 

The store in Charlotte is easier to get to. I just jump on I69 in less than 90 minutes I am there. South Bend store is about the same distance just not as easy a drive.

I've been to the one in GR but it's been probably 8-10 years ago.. While it's a nice store I really wasn't impressed with the wood selection they had etc.. at that time.. May have changed now since the LL Johnson work bench closed up.. I believe the work bench in GR was on Burton St? Only time I was in there was during a store closing.. didn't even know it was there.. But then I don't get up toward GR all that much.. about 2 times the distance as Charlotte...

3 hours ago, Woodmaster1 said:

The store in Charlotte is easier to get to. I just jump on I69 in less than 90 minutes I am there. South Bend store is about the same distance just not as easy a drive.

Okay I see.. I was going to say.. they normally run a wood expo sale there as well.. It's usually a week or so before the Charlotte one.. as they bring the left overs to the Charlotte one so you'd get first picks there, LOL... Maybe they no longer do that at the SB store.. I don't know.. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I've been to the one in GR but it's been probably 8-10 years ago.. While it's a nice store I really wasn't impressed with the wood selection they had etc.. at that time.. May have changed now since the LL Johnson work bench closed up.. I believe the work bench in GR was on Burton St? Only time I was in there was during a store closing.. didn't even know it was there.. But then I don't get up toward GR all that much.. about 2 times the distance as Charlotte...

I wish I could help more but it has been a few years since I've been to woodcraft as well. Ive been thinking about stopping by now that I have a reason to for scrolling!

Johnsons workbench was on Burton St and I do miss it. Especially since it was only a few blocks from my house. Now its just an empty lot unfortunately.

Ill try and make some time to head out to woodcraft and will report back if it helps.

2 hours ago, agentC said:

I wish I could help more but it has been a few years since I've been to woodcraft as well. Ive been thinking about stopping by now that I have a reason to for scrolling!

Johnsons workbench was on Burton St and I do miss it. Especially since it was only a few blocks from my house. Now its just an empty lot unfortunately.

Ill try and make some time to head out to woodcraft and will report back if it helps.

You can go to the Woodcraft website and it should tell you if your local store carries it and the price.  Be warned they are not cheap.  Locally I get a 5'x5' (25 square feet) piece of 1/8" Baltic Birch for $20.  Woodcraft near me sells a 2.5 square foot piece for $6.50.  If my math is correct that would be $65.00 for 25 square feet.

26 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

You can go to the Woodcraft website and it should tell you if your local store carries it and the price.  Be warned they are not cheap.  Locally I get a 5'x5' (25 square feet) piece of 1/8" Baltic Birch for $20.  Woodcraft near me sells a 2.5 square foot piece for $6.50.  If my math is correct that would be $65.00 for 25 square feet.

That's cheap compared to our woodcraft.. shows it at $8.99.. I just looked at the website where I go and it's $12.75 for a 5 x 5 ft sheet.. If you buy 1-3 sheets. If you get 10+ sheets like I do.. then its $11.05 per sheet.. then wait for the big sale that they do as I mentioned above and they even do much better on the price..