Navy Plaque

heppnerguy

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, wombatie said:

The chain really sets it off.  He will love it Dick and you.  How far is San Diego from where you are in Arizona?  🤔

Marg

San Diego is about 360 miles or so. We just picked up his mother at the airport and we are all excited to go visit her son Joe. 

Yes the chain is what attracted me to cut this one and not a different one

Dick

heppnerguy

On 9/5/2018 at 2:29 PM, heppnerguy said:

My Grandson enlisted in the Navy about 4 months ago and is now in San Diego. His mother is coming to  Arizona tomorrow and on Friday we are driving there to meet up with him. I decided last evening to cut him a plaque. I looked through  several  Navy  Plaques and decided on this Steve Good pattern. I thought all the chain centers were going to take me a long time to cut but the  whole item was less then three hours. That surprised my some, for sure

Dick

heppnerguy

navy plaque.PNG

Extraordinary job Richard!!!

I keep coming back to this pattern and really love it and I believe it is the chain design helping make it stand out, Your cutting is spot on and use of color works well. Is that maple as the main woods and what thickness did you use for both top and back layer?? Is there a particular reason you went with black as the color back piece?? what size did you make it?? Tough to tell from photo.It does work well. I have to cut this. It is pretty rare these days when I get so inspired to make a cutting. I usually just go about doing some cuttings because I need a particular type for sale but this is so cool. Thanks for posting. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, RabidAlien said:

Awesome!!!!

Go Navy!  I was stationed in San Diego (Point Loma sub base) for a while, 94-95ish.

I think that was pretty close to where we were. It was on an island real close to I-5. The name was something like Coronado. I believe.

Dick

heppnerguy 

Just now, RabidAlien said:

Yep, pretty much across the harbor, if I recall my geography correctly.

I had never been on a Navy Base before. Things sure are a lot different then when I was in the Army, in 58-60. They have a lot of interesting things to do there and a lot of different places to eat. They even have a beautiful hotel on base for family to stay in while visiting and it looks right out at the ocean. 

Dick

heppnerguy

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, scrollerpete said:

Excellent job Dick, you should be proud.

I am very proud of my grandson. We got to go to San Diego and visit with him. He liked the plaque but mostly loved the family presents there. It was my wife and I and his mother from Oregon, who came to Arizona, especially so we could all go see him

Dick

heppnerguy

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I keep coming back to this pattern and really love it and I believe it is the chain design helping make it stand out, Your cutting is spot on and use of color works well. Is that maple as the main woods and what thickness did you use for both top and back layer?? Is there a particular reason you went with black as the color back piece?? what size did you make it?? Tough to tell from photo.It does work well. I have to cut this. It is pretty rare these days when I get so inspired to make a cutting. I usually just go about doing some cuttings because I need a particular type for sale but this is so cool. Thanks for posting. 

First of all the plaque itself it cut from 1/4 inch BB Ply. I personally do not care for plaques that are much thicker then that. Steve Good sometimes suggests 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch pattern thickness. I often convert those to 1/8th inch and then I usually cut 2 of them. He did suggest 1/4 inch for this one and 1/2 inch for the backer board. I also went with both of his suggestions on this plaque. Normally for me, if  I am going to mail a plaque I always use 1/4 inch backer board material to keep the cost of shipping down.  However I hand delivered this one so I decided on 1/2 inch.  It is also BB Ply. I sprayed the backer board with black because I like the high contrast on my plaques so the finer cuts stand out best. I cut the pattern as it downloaded from Steve's site, which is approx. 8 inches.  A hint for mailing this type of item …    I will often shorten these items to about 7 1/2  inches, it I am going to be mailing them, so they will fit easily in  a bubble envelope that is 8 X 10. .  I don' t know if you ever use spiral blades but the inside of the chain I cut with a  #1 spiral and it helped me to cut the chain in a very short time. I started with the chain and I was done the the inside part in about 15 minutes or less.  Hope I answered all you questions. Feel free to ask me about anything, any time. I like to help others whenever I can

Dick

heppnerguy

Thank you Dick and yes you answered very well. I am thinking I will use maple. There is enough fret work to take any stress or warp out of that thin piece of wood so should be no problem. Not sure what color yet. May make a couple and vary the paint and see which sells better. Thanks again and terrific cutting.