1st time for everything

Foxfold

I couldn't fathom out why my scrolling was not going to plan today. I'm new to this scrolling stuff so it was very strange. The wood kept jumping, the blade wouldn't do a curve, my pattern was lifting at the edges.  I checked my tension, that was ok. I checked the blade was aligned, it was.. I spoke nicely to the machine, that didn't work.  I patted it on it's arm. I promised to give it a good clean later,  it didn't care one  jot.  I cursed the piece of wood I was working with, thinking I'd picked a 'bad un'' off the shelf.  Finally I came to the conclusion that the blade must be dull, although I'd not used it much, so I went to change it... and lo and behold.... I'd put it in UPSIDE   DOWN !!!    A while back I broke my first blade and today I did this, so as I say ''there's a 1st time for everything''. Now having a coffee !!!!!

Edited by Foxfold

You are not inventing anything new!  We all do these things sometimes.  The trick is after you do it few times you will know exactly what the problem is by the symptoms you are experiencing.  I've it many time, plus put then in backwards, teeth facing the rear of the saw.... Heck, just yesterday, I put the chain on my chainsaw backwards!!  Glad I was using an old chain, not good for the chain or the bar... and doesn't cut at all!!

Has anybody come up with a foolproof way of marking the top end of the blades when you first buy them. I was thinking that while they are still bundled to paint the tips with nail polish or something like that. The tiny blades are very hard to see and I can't always depend on the method of running my finger up and down the teeth. I was thinking maybe of using "Dykem" marking fluid.

I think FD-UR blades have a little crimp in the top end, so they are marked from the factory. 

I've often considered the nail polish idea, but my luck, I would get too much on and it would cause the blades to slip out of the clamps.  Then I'd end up taking twice as long to remove it all. 

What I generally do is just hold them up to a bright light.  Even though my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, I can usually still tell where the reverse teeth are, even on really small blades.

26 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

I think FD-UR blades have a little crimp in the top end, so they are marked from the factory. 

I've often considered the nail polish idea, but my luck, I would get too much on and it would cause the blades to slip out of the clamps.  Then I'd end up taking twice as long to remove it all. 

What I generally do is just hold them up to a bright light.  Even though my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, I can usually still tell where the reverse teeth are, even on really small blades.

I used to have a fantastic up close vision. Then I had cataract surgery and that went to Hell. Now, I have to rely on my reading glasses to see anything.

14 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Aww, bless you all, however, I don't think I can blame any of the above on either my eyesight or tiny blades. I use PinEnd blades and I was using a thick one to boot. You can see which way up it is from 4ft away  🤣🤣

Well see now this is your only real mistake.  You aren't supposed to admit that.  🤫

• 1 month later...