A jig for a scroll saw

kardar2

5 hours ago, kardar2 said:

This pop up in my YouTube feeds  it is a couple of years old so chances are you might have already seen it. 

https://youtu.be/bhvvMcn7eYw

I need to make one of those clamps. I did some compound cuts over the weekend and found that they are tough to hang onto so this is going to be my next build. Thanks.

I do a lot of compound cutting and at one time I made a clamp.  Lost it somewhere so now I use 2 small clamps around 2 pieces of wood.  I did glue sandpaper to 2 sides to hold a little better.  Like this better than the clamp as I can change from side to side real quick.

IMG_7350.JPG

22 minutes ago, don in brooklin on said:

I do a lot of compound cutting and at one time I made a clamp.  Lost it somewhere so now I use 2 small clamps around 2 pieces of wood.  I did glue sandpaper to 2 sides to hold a little better.  Like this better than the clamp as I can change from side to side real quick.

IMG_7350.JPG

I've got a couple of the mini clamps. I wonder how they would work. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the idea.

The mini Quick clamps work fine.  When I make multiples of compound cut pieces (such as Christmas ornaments), I usually lay several out on a stick.  I made jigs last year and used wing nuts.  I liked them better than the Quick clamps, because they didn't get in my way, as I was turning the blanks in the saw.  But either method works well.

I am going to be making a votive candle holder that was in a pattern book that I have. It requires me to cut 8 of the same piece using compound cutting. I'm fairly new to this so I have been practicing on some cheap wood before trying it on the more expensive red cedar. I'm getting better but doing the tall side is a bit harder when having to hold the piece tight to the table and I have been rapped a few times in the knuckles by the saw arm. So, I'm going to make a jig. But I will also try the mini clamps too. Thanks for your help.

Edited by octoolguy

I made a clamp for compound cutting and posted it sometime ago. It was spring loaded and add sand paper on the inside.  The springs make certain to keep things held properly even after making a cut.  I added a couple of knobs to hold it better. I made a couple of different sizes 

5a2ab3be5c486_20171208_CompoundCutting(Medium).thumb.jpg.7287a084f237f85c27d7ed1ec586d948.jpg

Edited by Sycamore67

I have made at least a twenty of the compound jig holders over the years.  I give them away at demos.  Mine are little different.  I never use pine as it it to soft and warps and twist easily.  I like a hard wood like maple.  Instead of threaded rod I use carriage bolts.  1/4 or 5//16.  What ever size I use I still the non permanent piece hole one size bigger to allow easy movement.  The final step I take is to glue a piece of sand paper to the inside of the clamps.  It makes a big difference.  

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

I made a clamp for compound cutting and posted it sometime ago. It was spring loaded and add sand paper on the inside.  The springs make certain to keep things held properly even after making a cut.  I added a couple of knobs to hold it better. I made a couple of different sizes 

5a2ab3be5c486_20171208_CompoundCutting(Medium).thumb.jpg.7287a084f237f85c27d7ed1ec586d948.jpg

Very nice job. I never gave any thought to the springs. I just went and picked up all the stuff I need to make one like  yours. Except the springs.