Small band saw needed

rjweb

What are you expecting to do with it? I have an old 12" Craftsman in perfect shape which I seldom use. I have a HF 9" band saw which is used daily. I have had it for about three years. It sits next to my scroll saw. It is just a clone of many other 9"saws but is serving me very well.  If you wish to do re-sawing I would think a 14" saw would be a minimum.

4 hours ago, rjweb said:

Good afternoon,

i am looking for a small band saw 10” or 14” does anyone have any suggestions of what would be a good reliable saw, thx RJ 

14" isn't what I would call small. I have a 14" and it is heavy. I have it on a roller base but when I brought it home in the back of my truck, I had to get help to bring it into my shop.

As I said earlier, I have the 10" Rikon.  I put the Carter Stabilizer Guide on it and with a small blade can cut very tight curves.  I also have a 16" Jet for resawing and heavy ripping or cross cuts.  The 10" works great for stuff too big for my Hegner Scroll Saw.  I end up using it a lot.

So much depends on what you want to do with it.  If it is resawing, then the 14" is much better.

As with anything.. A crap bandsaw with a good blade can make the bandsaw 2-3 times better, LOL I started out with a cheap craigslist find on a Ryobi 9" bandsaw... For a cheap saw it had a decent roller bearing blade guides set up... I wasn't impressed with the way it worked when I first bought it.. but of coarse it was used and had a cheap blade.. not to mention worn out blade too... Changing the blade made the saw actually not bad for small work.. I used that little saw a lot.. made some bandsaw boxes etc with it.. nothing too big because the max. height cut was only like 4" or there abouts..even did some max cutting height resawing with it for thin boards to make ornaments with..

That all said.. I wanted to be able to do some bigger work with resawing and larger bandsaw boxes.. so I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw with riser block and a upgraded resawing fence.. a foxshop rolling platform to make it easier to move around the shop.. Talk about a heavy saw... It's about all I want to do to move it even with the rolling stand, LOL.. To do it over again... for the amount of money spent.. if you're going to go big.. take a look at ALL your options.. I have spent right near a grand for my set up... I could have bought a much better saw with bigger HP motor etc that was more set up for the bigger stuff than what I got.. BUT you live and learn I guess.. Grizzly may have some good deals on them with their holiday sales they typically are running through the holidays...    

Over the years I've seen nothing but good reviews on the Rikon 10" bandsaw.. since I'm not resawing like I thought I'd like to do.. I kind of wish I'd have went that route.. Nothing against my saw.. just I spend a lot of money for a resaw set up and just didn't find resawing for me was not as valuable as I thought it would be. and the rikon has some nice height for making bandsaw boxes and things that I do actually use my saw for.. Anyway I guess I have the option to resaw if I need it.. and yes I have actually needed it a couple of times.. the issue with that is my set-up has to be completely changed for resawing one or two boards.. swapping blades and what have you takes a lot of time for a proper setup..

So as the others have said.. think about what you want to do with the saw... and how big a saw you'll need... weigh in on all the options with the saw cost factor.. if you're going big anyway.. as I could have had a much better saw for about the same money.. My grizzly has good reviews.. and I like it.. just spent more on a lower end saw by the time I did the upgrades...    

I'm another one who uses the Rikon 10" saw and find it cuts well.  But, I don't like either the fence or the miter gauge that came with the saw and would pay for quality replacements if I could find them..

For re-sawing, I have 400mm (about 16 inch) ACM (an Italian brand) saw and it is high quality all the way.  But, it costs a LOT.

Edited by Frank Pellow

I resaw alot and would be lost with out a large bandsaw. I have a 14" Delta with 6" riser and it is a work horse for me. If you have the room buy big. You can do everything on a large saw but not everything on a smaller one. But if you do go 10" then Rikon or Craftsman which is the same saw are the choice. My opinion.

33 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Ok I figured I would get a 14 inch saw now after hearing all the results, now here is another question, what brand and model number do you suggest for a 14” band saw, thx again, RJ 

How big is the pockets??? I love the Laguna line.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I bought my Grizzly model after asking around and many seemed to like the model I bought... which is why I bought mine.. I love it.. but like I said.. watch the spending and the options.. This is like the one I have.. mines a couple years old now and different colors etc but basically the same saw..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-35th-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LA35

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll also see the riser block like I bought for mine.. and the re-saw fence ( which one could just make one from the existing fence ) and the rolling base.. by the time I really was done he price was right up there with some of the bigger saws that actually came with the features I paid extra for.. add up the prices.. then look at this Laguna that JT mentioned.. as it already is set up to cut a 12" high board.. looks to have wheels on the base.. etc etc.. like I said... have to watch out for the features offered.. Some of the features I purchased at a later time.. so the price wasn't really considered high at the time I purchased.. otherwise I'd have bought a bigger saw with the features already to go...

Laguna is on sale from woodcraft..https://www.woodcraft.com/products/laguna-14-12-bandsaw?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6rXeBRD3ARIsAD9ni9AWka0ZsGTV-jwCXM2t_Xsj_Kp1xxLnqqVPlExVrDKdl2IDNDM4GKMaAoV-EALw_wcB 

3 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Thx for the info, what do the riser blocks do, thx RJ 

Riser block raise the top of the saw, mine raised it 6" for more clearance to resaw wood.  I went from a 93" blade to 105", from being able to re-saw about a 6" wide board to around a 12" wide board.

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(riser+AND+block)+OR+(riser+OR+block)

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I bought my Grizzly model after asking around and many seemed to like the model I bought... which is why I bought mine.. I love it.. but like I said.. watch the spending and the options.. This is like the one I have.. mines a couple years old now and different colors etc but basically the same saw..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-35th-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LA35

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll also see the riser block like I bought for mine.. and the re-saw fence ( which one could just make one from the existing fence ) and the rolling base.. by the time I really was done he price was right up there with some of the bigger saws that actually came with the features I paid extra for.. add up the prices.. then look at this Laguna that JT mentioned.. as it already is set up to cut a 12" high board.. looks to have wheels on the base.. etc etc.. like I said... have to watch out for the features offered.. Some of the features I purchased at a later time.. so the price wasn't really considered high at the time I purchased.. otherwise I'd have bought a bigger saw with the features already to go...

Laguna is on sale from woodcraft..https://www.woodcraft.com/products/laguna-14-12-bandsaw?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6rXeBRD3ARIsAD9ni9AWka0ZsGTV-jwCXM2t_Xsj_Kp1xxLnqqVPlExVrDKdl2IDNDM4GKMaAoV-EALw_wcB 

don't tempt me Kevin.  😀

On 10/20/2018 at 4:19 PM, rjweb said:

Good afternoon,

i am looking for a small band saw 10” or 14” does anyone have any suggestions of what would be a good reliable saw, thx RJ 

If your not in a big hurry I would suggest checking Craig's list   I just bought a Wilton 14" model 8201 in very good condition for $300.   The seller then loaded the saw on a trailer and delivered it right into my shop.   It is made by the same company that makes Jet, and Powermatic saws.   In fact it is the same saw as a Jet 8201K that sells for in the $1500. range.   It has a gear box, range 39 to 3300 sfpm, and can be used for wood or metal.   I don't intend to cut much metal with it but it has the capability if the need arises.  You didn't say new or used but if you are patient there may be a good deal to be had.   

Just my opinion, but I would not get riser blocks to begin with.  Resawing requires quite a bit of set up to do properly and a learning curve.  If this is your first bandsaw, I would learn with it first before the riser blocks.  Depending on the model, a 14" bandsaw can resaw anywhere from 6-12"  .  I can resaw 6-8" on my 16" Jet with relatively no problems.  However, when you get to a taller piece of wood to resaw, it gets more difficult.  

Are you going to do a lot of resawing?  If you are, then you will also need a thickness planer or drum sander to smooth out the saw marks.  

While smaller 10" bandsaw can not do everything a 14" one can do.  It is also the reverse.  I can do things with my 10" Rikon with the blade stabilizer that I can not do on my 16" bandsaw.  It is easier to run small blades and do intricate cuts. 

The best advice for you is to decide what you are going to use it for and how much you will use it.  Are you going to get into doing a lot of resawing, make bandsaw boxes, general woodworking or what.  This will help you decide what to get.

7 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

Just my opinion, but I would not get riser blocks to begin with.  Resawing requires quite a bit of set up to do properly and a learning curve.  If this is your first bandsaw, I would learn with it first before the riser blocks.  Depending on the model, a 14" bandsaw can resaw anywhere from 6-12"  .  I can resaw 6-8" on my 16" Jet with relatively no problems.  However, when you get to a taller piece of wood to resaw, it gets more difficult.  

Are you going to do a lot of resawing?  If you are, then you will also need a thickness planer or drum sander to smooth out the saw marks.  

While smaller 10" bandsaw can not do everything a 14" one can do.  It is also the reverse.  I can do things with my 10" Rikon with the blade stabilizer that I can not do on my 16" bandsaw.  It is easier to run small blades and do intricate cuts. 

The best advice for you is to decide what you are going to use it for and how much you will use it.  Are you going to get into doing a lot of resawing, make bandsaw boxes, general woodworking or what.  This will help you decide what to get.

I agree with Larry.  My two bandsaws (a 10 inch Rikon and an (approximately)  16 inch ACM ) do completely different jobs.  I would hate to have force a 14 inch saw (with or without riser blocks) to do either job.  It would definitely be a compromise and it would not do either job as well and I would always be changing blades and set-up.

Edited by Frank Pellow

6 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

You make a very good point about that.. something that I had not thought too much about.. I certainly wish I had two saws.. it seems every time I want to use mine.. I have to change over the complete set up... LOL.. If I was to buy another one.. I'd buy the 10" rikon.. because I don't do a lot of resaw work simply because I use it more for other things and don't want to change the set up.. 

I agree with Stoney. I bought my Delta 14" with the enclosed base, in like new condition, for $300 on Craigslist too. In fact, I have bought all of my larger tools used off of C/L. With the exception of my Rigid oscillating spindle sander. I got over anxious and bought it new. Not long after I bought it, one showed up on C/L for half of what I paid. So, with that said, don't be in a rush. Be patient and a deal will always come your way.