Adhesion Problem

Rockytime

I have a problem with small parts of my pattern lifting.  I apply Duck brand shelf paper on the wood. I press it down with a rubber roller making sure it adheres well. I spray the back of the pattern liberally with 3M 45 spray adhesive. On most projects I do not have a problem. However, on patterns that have narrow areas to cut the pattern AND the shelf liner lifts from the wood. The shelf liner is rolled rigorously to assure adhesion. I think I will go back to painters tape. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I tried gluing small piece with a glue stick to no avail. Therefore I'm just guessing perhaps my roller is uneven. Right now I'm too lazy to go out to the shop and check it. I should, perhaps, use a burnisher to assure the shelf liner adheres properly.

1-20190113_130709-1.jpg

2-20190113_131429.jpg

I have that problem often and I use blue painters tape and 3M 45 or 3M 77 spray and it still does it.  I think it is more of a matter of there is not much sticking power when you get yo that small of a piece or some how dust is getting under the tape as you cut in tight areas.  I have tried the shelf sticky stuff and had the same problem AND I have a roller!  I do not use it all the time, but when I do,,, I have the same problem.  I have just learned to live with it.

18 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I have a problem with small parts of my pattern lifting.  I apply Duck brand shelf paper on the wood. I press it down with a rubber roller making sure it adheres well. I spray the back of the pattern liberally with 3M 45 spray adhesive. On most projects I do not have a problem. However, on patterns that have narrow areas to cut the pattern AND the shelf liner lifts from the wood. The shelf liner is rolled rigorously to assure adhesion. I think I will go back to painters tape. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I tried gluing small piece with a glue stick to no avail. Therefore I'm just guessing perhaps my roller is uneven. Right now I'm too lazy to go out to the shop and check it. I should, perhaps, use a burnisher to assure the shelf liner adheres properly.

1-20190113_130709-1.jpg

2-20190113_131429.jpg

What blade are you using? Just wondering, if it's the UR blade that may be lifting your patterns. How about trying a non reverse blade or a blade that only has the reverse teeth on the under side?

Thanks for the replies.  I was cutting 1/2" Poplar with a #1 Olson Blade, not a reverse tooth blade. I will experiment using a burnishing tool. It will apply much more direct pressure on the shelf liner. I'll experiment on some scrap. If that works, OK. It not I'll go back to painters tape on critical cuttings.

1-20190113_170016.jpg

I too have those issues and as stated before I have learned to live with it. It is usually the narrow areas of the pattern and I have noticed the blade is moving the small piece up and down which helps it detach. I have used tape to hold down the lifted piece, try to cut inside cut first then outside area which seems to help or a small like dental tool to hold it down while I finish the cut. 

$19.99?  That's not bad at all!  Which brand whiskey do you use as an anesthetic?

I've had this happen to me on occasion, I think it has to do with the friction of the blade warming up the glue just enough that it pops up.  Doesn't happen anywhere else because there's enough glue away from the "warm" area to keep it held down.  Usually it happens in a spot I've just finished cutting or am about to finish, so I'll trap the wayward piece under a fingernail (keeping in mind the blade and where the blade will be going at the next turn) until I'm past it, then tear it off so it doesn't snag on something or just sit there flapping and bugging the crap outta me.  I'm still on the old 3" pin-ended blades, and haven't found any reverse-tooth options (found some Pegas skip-tooth 3" pinned blades, which are awesome), so I don't think its the return stroke tooth that's pulling up your pattern. 

11 minutes ago, scrollingforsanity said:

I also use a piece of scotch tape on the small area if it starts lifting as I use the shelf liner exclusively and this seems to solve the problem so far. As Paul said there is not much surface area to hold the sticky.  Good luck

grizz

I often use Scotch Tape also.  Keep a roll mounted by the saw.  After taping, OSHA would hang me if they saw how close to the blade I put a finger to hold the taped piece down.  Could use a craft stick, but I like living on the edge.  😎

jerry

6 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

I often use Scotch Tape also.  Keep a roll mounted by the saw.  After taping, OSHA would hang me if they saw how close to the blade I put a finger to hold the taped piece down.  Could use a craft stick, but I like living on the edge.  😎

jerry

God gave us 10 fingers for a reason!  If, by the third finger, you haven't figured out how close you can get to the blade, scrolling probably isn't for you.  LOL

12 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I sometimes use a tack cloth to wipe down the wood.

I wonder if that could be part of the problem?  Years ago, the general consensus on some of the WW'ing forums, was that tack cloths could possibly contaminate the surface and cause problems with the clear finish top coat.  Don't know if that is a myth or not.  I never use tack cloths.  Personally, I would use alcohol to wipe down the surface of the wood.  I've used mineral spirits, but you have to let it fully evaporate first and it takes some time for that to occur.  Alcohol will evaporate considerably faster than MS.

12 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

I wonder if that could be part of the problem?  Years ago, the general consensus on some of the WW'ing forums, was that tack cloths could possibly contaminate the surface and cause problems with the clear finish top coat.  Don't know if that is a myth or not.  I never use tack cloths.  Personally, I would use alcohol to wipe down the surface of the wood.  I've used mineral spirits, but you have to let it fully evaporate first and it takes some time for that to occur.  Alcohol will evaporate considerably faster than MS.

I use tack cloths quite often and never had an issue with finishing. Sometimes I will wipe down a project with naptha, it flashes off a lot faster than mineral spirits.

19 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

$19.99?  That's not bad at all!  Which brand whiskey do you use as an anesthetic?

I've had this happen to me on occasion, I think it has to do with the friction of the blade warming up the glue just enough that it pops up.  Doesn't happen anywhere else because there's enough glue away from the "warm" area to keep it held down.  Usually it happens in a spot I've just finished cutting or am about to finish, so I'll trap the wayward piece under a fingernail (keeping in mind the blade and where the blade will be going at the next turn) until I'm past it, then tear it off so it doesn't snag on something or just sit there flapping and bugging the crap outta me.  I'm still on the old 3" pin-ended blades, and haven't found any reverse-tooth options (found some Pegas skip-tooth 3" pinned blades, which are awesome), so I don't think its the return stroke tooth that's pulling up your pattern. 

At $19.99, I reckon you'll need to supply your own whiskey! 😂

Rob

• 1 year later...