1st Try at Napkin holder pattern

Foxfold

25 minutes ago, Gordster said:

You did a good job on them..nice center piece

Thank you, I'm hosting a ' Posh' BBQ on 1st June and I thought I'd make a few for then. It would have to be better cut than this first one, but hopefully now that I know the 'ins and outs' of the pattern, I'll have some good ones by then. x

You did a beautiful job. I like it. In 1964 when my wife had our first child she, being Canadian, went to a department store to purchase napkins (diapers). She was sent up to housewares. There when they showed her napkins she said "No, those are called serviettes." She has since learned how to speak as an American!

I also wondered whether one was purchasing plywood or patterns. I will have to order some patterns.

9 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

"No, those are called serviettes."

I can understand that, we call them serviettes too  🤣 Language is a funny thing, I remember going to my grandmothers and she gave me some money wrapped up in paper and said '' Go to the Chippy and give him this''  An hour later she came looking for me and asked ''What on earth are you doing child''?   I said,  ''I've looked everywhere and can't find a carpenter shop anywhere."   She burst out laughing, to her a 'Chippy' was a fish and chip shop. !!!

On 1/24/2019 at 11:26 AM, Foxfold said:

Well, this is my first attempt at the pattern I bought. Not displeased with it although there are things that I'd do differently.

My 'Napkins' must be a lot bigger than what is intended for this holder as they hide the 'bodice' of the dress.

A photo of one with Napkins and a photo of the other side without, just to show.

The gaps where the 'feet' go is my fault, I think I printed the base at 100% but I cut the doll at 95%, I'll watch for that later

NapkinHolderDone1.jpg

NapkinHolder2.jpg

Have you figured out what size napkins work best for these??  Thanks

5 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Hi John, the napkins I have are 13" square (330mm)  so the 'skirt'  would be 6½" high, I'm cutting a new pattern as I think I cut the first one too short as I didn't cut it to scale. 😒.  I will adjust the pattern to fit and cut the 'hole' for the 'cog' last so that I can put it in a place that matches where the napkins should go for the best result.  Don't know if this makes any sense.?

5 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Hi John, the napkins I have are 13" square (330mm)  so the 'skirt'  would be 6½" high, I'm cutting a new pattern as I think I cut the first one too short as I didn't cut it to scale. 😒.  I will adjust the pattern to fit and cut the 'hole' for the 'cog' last so that I can put it in a place that matches where the napkins should go for the best result.  Don't know if this makes any sense.?

Yes I was looking at a site on ebay that sold many different colored ones but they are 10" square and was wondering if they would work. 

6 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Yes I was looking at a site on ebay that sold many different colored ones but they are 10" square and was wondering if they would work. 

I think any size would work perfectly well, you'd just have to adjust the size of your pattern and 'slot' to match the napkin, especially if you want the napkin to touch the 'floor'.  I've just finished altering my own pattern to fit the napkins better. The paints still wet, but tomorrow I'll put up  before and after photo's to clarify my meaning. xx

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:23 AM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Yes, I've burnt the piece in this photo and will remake at 100% and I think then it will take my 'normal 13" square one, and I'm going to try and get some 'cocktail napkins' and make one to fit those too. Just for comparison.

3 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Yes, I've burnt the piece in this photo and will remake at 100% and I think then it will take my 'normal 13" square one, and I'm going to try and get some 'cocktail napkins' and make one to fit those too. Just for comparison.

I ordered a bunch 10 X 10 napkins and decided I will make all patterns fit that size. I like some of the pattern ideas coming through.