H/F Bauer ROS sander review

OCtoolguy

2 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Well, I buy the paper from H/F also, so I don't know if it is the same as any other brand. It looks to be but without buying paper to find out, I can't say. And, once the dust catcher is removed, it looks like it would be an easy hook up. I didn't try it because I don't want a hose getting in the way. I like it just the way it is.

I've used the HF paper ( actually pretty good paper for the money ) on my Bosh and also other brands of papers from Lowes and Menards etc.. they all seem to be the same standard paper.. I'm doubting they would change it... unless maybe the high end sanders might to keep business with them exclusively...  

Just now, kmmcrafts said:

I've used the HF paper ( actually pretty good paper for the money ) on my Bosh and also other brands of papers from Lowes and Menards etc.. they all seem to be the same standard paper.. I'm doubting they would change it... unless maybe the high end sanders might to keep business with them exclusively...  

Kevin, it sure seems strange to me that some folks seem to be adverse to saving money. I'm sure that there might be a tiny difference between the H/F paper and one of the high end brands but in the end, they do the same thing. I feel the same about the tools too. I'm sure if money was no object, then I guess I might be willing to spend more but for me, it's all about what gets the job done.

27 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, it sure seems strange to me that some folks seem to be adverse to saving money. I'm sure that there might be a tiny difference between the H/F paper and one of the high end brands but in the end, they do the same thing. I feel the same about the tools too. I'm sure if money was no object, then I guess I might be willing to spend more but for me, it's all about what gets the job done.

I wasn't knocking HF at all.. I have a ton of tools from them that has served me real well.. I've used their sandpaper and I found it to be the best paper I can get locally short of the Auto Body supply shop.. But.. you pay a VERY premium price for that stuff too.. I'm currently using a brand I picked up a whole big box of from Menards.. actually I bought every brand Menards sold to give them a try.. None of them are as good as the stuff I used in the past from HF... But.. buying those my the box (50 I think in a box ) it works out cheaper than HF packages.. so i been using this stuff for about 2 years now..

While talking about sand paper.. I was at my local lumber supplier and noticed they carry Freud brand sandpaper that is what I though reasonable priced.. IF you buy the large boxes.. Not sure if anyone has tried them but.. I might give them a try when i run out of paper.. Can't remember the brand I get from Menards that I like.. it's blue color papers and in a white / blue box.. seems to be good stuff.. the Master Force brand is the worst I've used yet..  

37 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Man that is a whole subject initself SANDPAPER So many types of sandpaper and not all sandpaper is the same. HF  3M is what the big box stores carry and it is at least better than HF.  Look at Norton papers, or Duragold. 

You said Norton.. that rung a bell so i looked up what papers I use on Menards site.. that's the stuff I buy.. But I don't see the bulk / box packs like I buy..  Being in the autobody work for a few years.. you sure learn quick what is good sandpaper and what isn't.. we elusively used 3M back in the day.. I know they have some new stuff out there these days... but I've always went to the 3M because that was what I know.. when working on cars... bit pricey for me with the woodwork stuff when the Norton brand works wonders for me and it's cheaper..

Have to watch the 3M stuff though.. they do or did sell a low end paper too so don't be fooled with that stuff.. 

For some reason... The duragold stuff rings a bell.. maybe what HF sells? I know the stuff they sell is about as good as the Norton that I use.. I know because I was using it up until about two years ago.. Just because it's sold at HF doesn't make it junk or cheap.. Buying bulk boxed Norton is cheaper per sheet than HF stuff is the only reason I changed..  

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/sandpaper-abrasives/power-tool-sandpaper-abrasives/norton-reg-5-8-hole-hook-sand-trade-sanding-disc-6-pack/50177-038/p-1444423450444-c-14240.htm?tid=4724280280341260904&ipos=11

Edited by kmmcrafts

It probably depends on what you are building but I find huge differences in sand paper brands.  When I am building cabinets or furniture, I want the best I can find.  I use predominately Klingspor Gold.  It cuts cleans and remains sharp. It gives me great results when finishing.

I want good consistent results and that is what I get.

I also use the Klingspor for cloth backed narrow rolls, Mac Mops, and sanding mops.

But whatever works for you is great.

Klingspor gold, Mirka Bulldog gold, and there are others that I use that are very good. I buy in bulk because I use alot of sandpaper in many forms including rolls for my drum sander. I will say again sandpaper is not all the same and if you were able to compare side by side you would see it right away. But to each their own. Happy sanding. 

The video of the sander left me a bit un-impressed. with the dust collection. The dust catcher seems to be a real pain. As we all know sanding dust is one of the worst because it is so fine.  

Just a thought on the adversity of saving money. I always bought the best tool that I could afford. In my single youth I bought whatever I wanted as I was only responsible to myself. 

Now that I am retired I find that my wood working hobby is fully self supportive+. So I am slowly replacing all of the "affordable tools" in my shop. I try to take my projects to the max of my skill sets with a minimum of fuss and mess. I used a $5 ryoby RO yard sale for many years until my wife gave me a Festool for Christmas.( Yes their prices are insane) If you have never used one and get the chance DON'T touch it! With it connected to their vacuum there is no dust. and no vibration.

I buy all of my sanding supplies from Klingspore. I don't have much locally other than HD or Lowes and I am not thrilled with their selection. So online for my supplies.

That said, I don't ever want to question myself again on my tool choices, so I do my homework, gather my resources until I can get what I want.

I have fair number of HF tools, tools that get occasional use like buffing out the boat, pneumatic angle grinders etc. They have treated me well. 

That video that Brian posted sure does go into the whole aspect of sanding with sandpapers and the many varieties and uses. Good information. I mentioned that the topic of sandpaper is one that is not cut and dry. Depending how much you want to get involved in true finishing and optimum finishing techniques will depend on how much value you put into the sandpapers you buy. So again for those that think HF sells great sandpaper than you are the target that store is aiming at. Enjoy. 

Love the Festool line of tools. My dream of replacing all my tools with their line. We all have dreams like this I bet. 

The thought about people being adverse to buying cheap tools probably comes from experience and I can speak to that. When I first started I bought many craftsman line of tools and yes they got the job done and over the years they became the HF of tools because they became totally China made and cheap turned into expensive because you had to buy more than one. If you use tools just for the occassional use you can get by with the HF's of the world but if your use is more intense than you want comfort, ease of use, efficient tools that do not need to be replaced every year. So when people show adverse lines toward tools such as HF they probably speak from past experience so do not put them down. Everyones tool usage is not the same. If you had success with the tool you purchased and are happy then you are good to go. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Most all the info in that video.. I knew and studied at the career center when i studied auto collision repair.. The sanding pad / block is something very important.. I don't find wood nearly as critical or fussy as the autobody world of things.. For instance, I'd never use my $800 spray gun equipment for oil based.. or any based wood finishes for that matter.. 

With all that said.. I also wouldn't use ANY sanding papers from any store for autobody work.. the oils in your skin by just touching sanding papers can ruin a finish you apply on a car.. so I only buy sealed in a box sanding paper from the actual autobody supply shop.. 

Not trying to dis- woodwork here in saying this.. but.. I see no reason to spend $100 per box of each grade of sanding paper for my wood projects.. at least fretwork stuff.. maybe actual furniture and pieces made of large surfaced wood.. IF I was getting that technical about wood.. then I would need to sand the inside cuts super smooth so they took the finish the same as the face of the piece too.. So yeah I'm talking fretwork.. not a table or cabinet.. On something like this.. I would use the higher end sanding papers.. still would use a cheaper spray gun.. because any trace of a oil or whatever that gets into my spray gun will absolutely ruin a paint job on a car.. But then.. the average paint job on a table doesn't cost $4000 either.. You mess up a paint job on a car and your out some big money.. and a lot of reworking to get it right.. 

With all that said.. and the experiences I have with sanding paper.. The sandpaper that HF sells is just as good quality as the Norton brand I buy.. I just so happen to buy Norton brand because it works out cheaper when buying in quantity.. You can say what you want about HF sandpaper... I'll still tell you it's decent sandpaper.. At least the stuff I've used from them... Yes it's not the same stuff as the stuff I get at the Body Shop supply store or the Festool brand stuff.. But as I've said.. I'm not making furniture I'm doing fretwork... So maybe rather than saying what sand paper is good is better to say what sandpaper is good for a particular project.. as the video stated.. some sandpapers are better for certain projects than others.. just as with saw blades..

I have two Festool brand tools..sander and dust extractor.  I bought the sander for ergonomics and dust collection.  It has very low vibration and I need that as my wrists are totally worn out and scheduled for surgery later this year.  The Festool sand paper is well known for being high quality for woodworking. The Klingspor sand paper is also well known for quality.  The dust extractor I bought for quality, low noise, HEPA rate vac and ability to continuously run for a long time.  

It is interesting to hear about automotive painting requirements.  I knew that the paint and supplies are special and expensive.  It also takes extreme skill to paint cars.

Final thought, dust collection starts at the source either the scroll saw or sander.  All other things are secondary.

The Festool dust exstractor is one of the next tools i intend to buy.. as you said Quality, quiet, and Hepa rated.. I really looked hard at the Fien.. was set to buy because it is quite a lot cheaper.. BUT.. The reviews I read and seen on the NEW models isn't very good at all.. watched a youtube video too and the guy pointed out several cost cutting things they did between the old one he was replacing it with and the new one.. Made my mind up to wait for a Festool.. Yes expensive.. but also quality is there on that brand still.. And the price point isn't that big a difference if you get all the gadgets needed to make it a Hepa vac.. still not "certified" Hepa..If I were just a hobbyist I'd probably go with the Fien..      

6 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I have two Festool brand tools..sander and dust extractor.  I bought the sander for ergonomics and dust collection.  It has very low vibration and I need that as my wrists are totally worn out and scheduled for surgery later this year.  The Festool sand paper is well known for being high quality for woodworking. The Klingspor sand paper is also well known for quality.  The dust extractor I bought for quality, low noise, HEPA rate vac and ability to continuously run for a long time.  

It is interesting to hear about automotive painting requirements.  I knew that the paint and supplies are special and expensive.  It also takes extreme skill to paint cars.

Final thought, dust collection starts at the source either the scroll saw or sander.  All other things are secondary.

Yeah there are many colors in the auto paints that cost $300 for a pint.. and that pint only covers 1-3 panels.. so like a fender and two doors.. That was prices from when I was doing the work 25 years ago, LOL..  Thats not including activators reducers etc.. that's just the can of paint.. and you cannot use it without the activators etc.. So with that said.. you sure don't want to screw it up with cheap sandpaper and end up having to redo the work and buy the supplies again.. In these cases.. it's best to use the best IMO.. 

My older brother restored a 1971 Nova SS and did top of the line stuff to the whole car but cheaped out on the paint itself.. I tried to tell him he shouldn't use the paint.. He bought a gallon of burgundy for like $75.. normally that'd have cost me about $300 ish.. 2-3 months after painting the car faded to kinda a dark pink looking color.. He had to strip the whole car and start completely over.. Doing a whole car paint job is quite a big job..   

If you get the Hepa filter for the Fein, it makes it as expensive as the Festool, almost.  I've had no problems with my Fein,,, yet, but I agree with you that there is not enough price difference to not go with the Festool.  Being certified,,,, not sure that means much to me, other than maybe Fein didn't get it certified, maybe they were late for the test,,,, but the Festool is a little quieter, and maybe could last longer, I don't know.  But my Fein is, so far, serving me well.  I do not have a Hepa filter.... I am 75, I smoked for many years... is a Hepa filter going to save my life.....🙄  I'm just rambling here.  I can't say one is better than the other, I think maybe Festool is better, because everyone say so...  I have never even touched a Festool product.... I would really like to, but I am not paying for one to just leave to my un-interested kids, in a few years,  they would sell it in an estate sale for like $20.....

13 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

If you get the Hepa filter for the Fein, it makes it as expensive as the Festool, almost.  I've had no problems with my Fein,,, yet, but I agree with you that there is not enough price difference to not go with the Festool.  Being certified,,,, not sure that means much to me, other than maybe Fein didn't get it certified, maybe they were late for the test,,,, but the Festool is a little quieter, and maybe could last longer, I don't know.  But my Fein is, so far, serving me well.  I do not have a Hepa filter.... I am 75, I smoked for many years... is a Hepa filter going to save my life.....🙄  I'm just rambling here.  I can't say one is better than the other, I think maybe Festool is better, because everyone say so...  I have never even touched a Festool product.... I would really like to, but I am not paying for one to just leave to my un-interested kids, in a few years,  they would sell it in an estate sale for like $20.....

If I remember correctly Fein only has one speed? or was it two speed.. the Festool does have two speeds or variable? I do not remember now but last year when i was doing the research on the two.. that was another deciding factor... I have really bad allergies.. not so much to wood dust.. but the wood dust is an irritant to my existing allergies.. so the Hepa  would be a plus for me.. even though I'm quite certain I'll still be wearing my mask anyway.. LOL.. 

16 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Well said Paul. If a young had the money and the where withall, it would be wise to purchase the best of everything. But as you pointed out, it would nuts for us to buy the best just to leave it to our kids. But another thing is that you can never stay up with technology. Everything is pretty much obsolete when you buy it.

25 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Well said Paul. If a young had the money and the where withall, it would be wise to purchase the best of everything. But as you pointed out, it would nuts for us to buy the best just to leave it to our kids. But another thing is that you can never stay up with technology. Everything is pretty much obsolete when you buy it.

I'm not that old yet but I still like to buy low cost things.. unless it's something I intend to use for business that would require a lot of use.. that said i still cannot see $400+ for a random orbital sander.. maybe I'm just not seeing the value as others do in that.. I'm not knocking them in anyway.. If I was retired and rich like some of the others and just scroll for fun to give away my projects.. Sure I'd buy the best.. Maybe.. But I'm feeding a family of 5 and putting one of the kids through college etc etc... I can't afford not to sell my crafts.. as I couldn't afford the wood and electric to run my shop otherwise, LOL  So in my eyes.. many of the lower end tools and stores like HF etc.. really appeal to me..for many tools that may end up getting limited use..  

9 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Same old debate just as what is the better saw or what is the best blades. Buy and use what you can afford. 

Exactly!!  But what gets me about these type of topics is the original poster typically is trying to help out others that are less fortunate by showing others what they think is a bargain and someone comes along and says they’d never buy that or they’d never use that. I look at it as though a cheap HF sander is an upgrade to a piece of sandpaper and your hand. 😂 

Nothing wrong with buying/owning high end or low end stuff as long as you have the cash to buy it.