H/F Bauer ROS sander review

OCtoolguy

24 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Exactly!!  But what gets me about these type of topics is the original poster typically is trying to help out others that are less fortunate by showing others what they think is a bargain and someone comes along and says they’d never buy that or they’d never use that. I look at it as though a cheap HF sander is an upgrade to a piece of sandpaper and your hand. 😂 

Nothing wrong with buying/owning high end or low end stuff as long as you have the cash to buy it. 

Two ways to look at that sir. Others may be trying to give their opinion as to why not to buy that tool also. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

9 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Two ways to look at that sir. Others may be trying to give their opinion as to why not to buy that tool also. 

You're right.. but how can one steer one away from a product they've never used.. just basing their opinion on a product based on the price and the store that it's sold at.. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

You're right.. but how can one steer one away from a product they've never used.. just basing their opinion on a product based on the price and the store that it's sold at.. 

How do you know they did not use it or one like it?? I am not going to argue with you. If you or anyone else wants to buy whatever tool you want have at it. I feel you are pointing this at me. I have a network of woodworkers that I hang with and most have complete shops of woodworking tools so many times when I comment on things here I think I do bring some first hand knowledge. I will refrain from now on down grading HF and any  other tool mentioned here. Good luck and happy woodworking. 

I just went back and reread the entire thread and nowhere did anyone say do not buy that sander. The sandpaper thing was a takeoff from the thread as things usually do. Weather HF sandpaper is as good as some that is out there can not be disputed but buy cheap, get cheap. Will it get the job done, probably for what we do in the scrolling world. Heck many times a paper bag can do that. ( by the way a paper bag has about 2000 to 2500 grit equivelence in case some one wants to know) 😀 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

1 hour ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

How do you know they did not use it or one like it?? I am not going to argue with you. If you or anyone else wants to buy whatever tool you want have at it. I feel you are pointing this at me. I have a network of woodworkers that I hang with and most have complete shops of woodworking tools so many times when I comment on things here I think I do bring some first hand knowledge. I will refrain from now on down grading HF and any  other tool mentioned here. Good luck and happy woodworking. 

I just went back and reread the entire thread and nowhere did anyone say do not buy that sander. The sandpaper thing was a takeoff from the thread as things usually do. Weather HF sandpaper is as good as some that is out there can not be disputed but buy cheap, get cheap. Will it get the job done, probably for what we do in the scrolling world. Heck many times a paper bag can do that. ( by the way a paper bag has about 2000 to 2500 grit equivelence in case some one wants to know) 😀 

JT, I respect your opinions and value your wealth of knowledge, I guess I get a little touchy on the low end product bashing as many of us start out buying cheap tools.. I started my business with nothing but a freebie scroll saw and even some leftover scraps of plywood and built it up over the years.. When I started out I was using a block of wood and stapled sandpapers to it.. going from that to a power sander was night and day difference.. there is a reason for those HF stores.. not everyone can afford a cheap sander let alone a Festool sander.. I do realize that you get what you pay for.. just as one gets out of business what they put into it..  

Everyone has a difference in opinions as to what a good value is.. as someone stated back a few post.. why buy high end stuff that your kids won't cherish.. and would sell for dirt cheep at an estate sale.. For me buying higher end stuff makes a little more sense because I'm business.. but I'm also realistic and do not buy ANYTHING I don't have cash money in hand for the purchase..  

JT, I respect your opinions and value your wealth of knowledge, I guess I get a little touchy on the low end product bashing as many of us start out buying cheap tools.. I started my business with nothing but a freebie scroll saw and even some leftover scraps of plywood and built it up over the years.. When I started out I was using a block of wood and stapled sandpapers to it.. going from that to a power sander was night and day difference.. there is a reason for those HF stores.. not everyone can afford a cheap sander let alone a Festool sander.. I do realize that you get what you pay for.. just as one gets out of business what they put into it..

Again Kevin 2 ways to look at it. Many newbies don't know better and think cheap is as good as better. They wind up spending twice because the first broke down quickly. I wish I had people tell me there were better tools than Craftsman when I started out. These forums were not even around. Bought 2 routers and both broke within 2 years. Rest assured you will not hear another peep from me about HF or Walmart (oh yea same type of store for the same reason) 

6 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Let me take this opportunity to apologize for starting this thread. It appears that it was a subject that was just too controversial. I will try to be more discerning from here on. Maybe the "coffee house" is a better spot to hang out.

Deleted

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

If you have enough money to burn up a wet mule, then go for the best that's out there, otherwise as was said, i'm too old to get the best to leave for someone else to enjoy.I don't care how you go about it there's always someone out there improving technology. there is no getting ahead any more!

8 minutes ago, Karl S said:

If you have enough money to burn up a wet mule, then go for the best that's out there, otherwise as was said, i'm too old to get the best to leave for someone else to enjoy.I don't care how you go about it there's always someone out there improving technology. there is no getting ahead any more!

I am up there too so my tool buying days are few and when I still buy what I want within limits. Let others sort things out when I am gone and who cares then. I worked hard to get what I have so let them work too. Why do we have to hand down the crown jewels. How are they going to learn values. But I will be darned if I deprive myself  so they do not get the good stuff. They get the left overs anyway you slice it. 

I have pen stuff from my other hobby that can fetch big$$ and gave my brother a heads up and what he does with it is his call. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

43 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Let me take this opportunity to apologize for starting this thread. It appears that it was a subject that was just too controversial. I will try to be more discerning from here on. Maybe the "coffee house" is a better spot to hang out.

I wouldn't sweat it, Ray.  These things have a way of generating a life of their own.  Just the nature of the internet beast.  Nothing wrong with you being happy with a purchase and wanting to pass along info on a deal.  Also nothing wrong with differing opinions being offered.  Compared to the flame wars I've seen on other forums, this is nothing.  😉

3 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

I wouldn't sweat it, Ray.  These things have a way of generating a life of their own.  Just the nature of the internet beast.  Nothing wrong with you being happy with a purchase and wanting to pass along info on a deal.  Also nothing wrong with differing opinions being offered.  Compared to the flame wars I've seen on other forums, this is nothing.  😉

Boy is this the truth!!! Just go to FaceBook

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

15 minutes ago, Jim McDonald said:

This is like talking politics and/or religion: lots of smoke and heat, but little light. 

@octoolguy if I was in the market for a new ROS, I would appreciate the hands on review. (But I just got a new one in 2018)

Thanks Bill and Jim. I think I'll just lay back and watch for a while. If something piques my interest, I'll add what I have to say but no more of starting a thread. It just doesn't pay. I get the feeling that I rub feathers in the wrong way. I seem to have my best discussions using the Private Message venue.

So much discussion and ruffled feathers.  I have used a lot of different Sanders in my life including sanding blocks.  I still use them when applicable and usually put a layer of felt on the wooden block.

My favorite RO sander is my Festool.  While some say low cost tools get bashed but nothing like a Festool.  I have not used the HF  sander but have picked it up and was very uncomfortable in my hands.  I pick my tools based on the ergonomics. The Festool sander is the only one I can use with experiencing significant discomfort.  

On 7/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, octoolguy said:

Thanks Bill and Jim. I think I'll just lay back and watch for a while. If something piques my interest, I'll add what I have to say but no more of starting a thread. It just doesn't pay. I get the feeling that I rub feathers in the wrong way. I seem to have my best discussions using the Private Message venue.

My feathers are still OK Ray. Don't sweat it, you done good.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, octoolguy said:

I used Titebond III wood glue to glue my feathers back down.. I should be good for a long time now.. 😂 Uh Oh...😮 I hope everyone agrees that Tite bond glue is good...🤔  and nothing you posted raised my feathers anyway.. 

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I used Titebond III wood glue to glue my feathers back down.. I should be good for a long time now.. 😂 Uh Oh...😮 I hope everyone agrees that Tite bond glue is good...🤔  and nothing you posted raised my feathers anyway.. 

Titebond lll? That's crap! I'm terribly offended! Any fool knows Titebond lV is better! My gosh!

On 7/5/2019 at 8:13 PM, octoolguy said:

Or you could look at it as entertainment, start the thread and see where it goes. 🙂

I like your posts, and anyway, I don't have feathers, type on.

• 8 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, octoolguy said:

I went to H/F and purchased the Bauer 5" ROS sander that is on sale right now for $24.95. I am very happy to say, it is all that I had hoped and more. It is lightweight, quiet, smooth and has 6 speeds. It uses the Velcro type paper, 8 holes for dust so the paper that I had from my cheapy H/F sander works with it. The biggest thing is the variable speed. I was using it on #4 and it was just perfect at that speed. I did notice that if you tried to use it at the lowest 2 speeds, it would bog and stop with very little pressure on the plate. But, all-in-all, I'm really happy. Especially with the price. It also has a dust collector on it and it works great. I do recommend removing it and lubing the o-ring that holds it on. It's a bear taking it off the first time. I plan to also buy the 1/4 sheet finishing sander that they have on sale but maybe next month. I've exceeded my tool budget for this month already.

2019-06-10_1316.png

Yes, I know this is an old thread but since I just ordered two of these right before I saw this and could not resist. I needed two more random orbital sanders because changing sandpaper wears out the loops on the back of my sandpaper before the grit wears out. Price was one of the reasons I purchased this one. I can buy two of these for the price of one of the sanders I was considering and three in some cases. However, the big deal for me was the dust port. It's round and fits my existing system. I'm getting rid of sanders that either don't have a dust port or they have some weird shape that I can't hook up to my shop vac. Most of my corded tools are Hitachi, and I would have liked to have two more, but I was sitting on a waiting list to get Hitachi sanders at a reasonable price for months. I usually buy refurbished. A coupon turned up for the Bauer sanders for $25, so I'm going to give them a try.

I also purchased one of these for $20. I have several hundred 1/4-Sheets of sandpaper leftover from a project that didn't use near as much paper as I bought. I want to use it up, and the 1/4-sheet sanders I have either do not have a dust collection port or have ports with weird shapes that I can't connect to my vac.

https://www.harborfreight.com/22-Amp-14-Sheet-Heavy-Duty-Palm-Finishing-Sander-64146.html

I've used Harbor Freight sanders in the past that cost less than $10. The cost was so low that I could have done the project and thrown them in the trash and still come out ahead. The sandpaper was more expensive than the sander. I never had an issue with any Harbor Freight sander other than dust collection, which is why I am getting rid of them now.

64146_W3.jpg