3 firsts

JimErn

33 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Really a nice job on all three firsts.  That is that little state down south,,, isn't it?  I can't remember the name of it.

No Paul, that is its own little Country. 😉 Nice group of Firsts, Jim.  Great looking work.  Fun to make those boxes isn't it.  I still need to try my first inlay. Thanks for showing yours.

4 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Looks good Jim. I've been thinking of doing some flocking. Did you find it hard to do?  What type of flocking did you use and where did you get it?

I ordered this starter kit from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NBZLZ8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

there are other colors too

If you order the parts separately, it uses with an adhesive, this starter kit uses paint instead.  Seems to work though.

Use sanding sealer before starting this, on the area to be flocked.  Other than that, I blue taped the area, painted it (heavy layer), then sprayed the flocking materiel.  Put the item being flocked in a tupperware container, when you are done and it is dry, turn the item over tap it a few times and the excess falls off.  when you spray spray a lot of it, much more than you think you need.  then you can reclaim the unused flocking material.

thanks for the kind words

12 hours ago, meflick said:

More nice work Jim, but I am afraid it will not be seen by as many folks since many will skip over this thread believing they looked at it already. Please, feel free to “flood” the forum with new creations, I suspect most are like me and enjoy seeing them.

I'll keep that in mind if I picture any others I make, appreciate the thoughts and kind words

I think that curly maple (Rodeo box) is my new favorite wood.  I love that optical illusion the grain provides

21 hours ago, JimErn said:

I'll keep that in mind if I picture any others I make, appreciate the thoughts and kind words

I think that curly maple (Rodeo box) is my new favorite wood.  I love that optical illusion the grain provides

Another vote for you to post more boxes from me Jim.  You made a great job of all of them.  And thanks for revealing the wood on the Rodeo box,  I was wondering what that wood was.

Rob

The boxes are beautiful.  You really have the inlay down pat.  

I have done a lot of flocking and I get mine from Lee Valley.  They only have 5 colours available.  

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=44669&cat=1,250,43298,43300,44669

Next time I am taking a road trip I am going to order a couple of other colours right from Don Jer as they have 25 colours available.  (They will ship to Canada but brokerage is an issue)

http://www.flockit.com/

Great job please keep posting.