Pegas-Scroll-Band-Saw?

rustynail

Thought I would provide an actual review of the Pegas bandsaw. I owned a Grizzly 19" bandsaw for years, fully intending to resaw veneer and never did.  It was typical Grizzly quality level, worked okay, but not great.  The wife and kids have all the furniture that they want for a while, so I recently started working my way through JGR Beginning Intarsia book.  I have never used a scroll saw before, but it is kind of fun.  Very happy with the Pegas scroll saw, so I sold the Grizzly and bought the little Pegas bandsaw.

It has been some time since I fell in love with a tool.  This BS is built fine.  The fit and finish is superb.  Table is flat.  Support arm is beefy.  Wheels are balanced and coplanar.  Every hole and bolt fit exactly like it should.  Well engineered, well made machine.  Setup was intuitive.  Within a couple hours, I cut a 4.5" thick curly maple blank into my first bandsaw box. This saw makes BS boxes easy.

Machine negatives:  Do remove and discard the bearing shields in order to adjust the bearings.  Assembly is better with two people due to weight, but I managed by myself.  Dust collection is average at best, but that seems typical for bandsaws in general.  Small blades mean less dust.

Yes, it is expensive.  But I am willing to pay for high quality, precision machines.  When something messes up, it is user error, not machine tolerances.

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Tony2u said:
I'm looking to buy a used Pegas. But it is an enigma, If anyone wants to part with theirs, I'm here!

Are you referring to the Pegas scroll saw or bandsaw? If scroll saw, read on.

They haven't been out all that long so finding a used one is like that perverbial needle in a haystack. BUT, there are used Excaliburs floating around there. In fact there is a very lightly used GREEN one right near me with stand and they have just reduced it to $550. It's a 21" made in Taiwan. That's the same factory as the Pegas is made in. Where are you located?

Edited by OCtoolguy

I'm looking for a scroll band saw. I work with dense foam for gun and demo cases for custom products. I outline or buy a paper outline and under cut about 5% smaller so everything fits snug. I bought some 6" thick dense foam 4'x8' sheets and it is to big for my scroll saw. This thicker foam allows me fit more accessories without tearing the foam. Laser CNC is best for this but I don't have $5k for the 7watt gas laser. Plus, I wouldn't know how to use the software. $1,500 is still a lot to only find out if it can cut the foam.

But, if it does cut this stuff without gumming up. $1,500 is not so bad. I'd be able to make real nice laser like cuts with minimal marks. Is anyone in southern California? I'd like to bring a sample of the foam to test it.

21 hours ago, Tony2u said:

I'm looking for a scroll band saw. I work with dense foam for gun and demo cases for custom products. I outline or buy a paper outline and under cut about 5% smaller so everything fits snug. I bought some 6" thick dense foam 4'x8' sheets and it is to big for my scroll saw. This thicker foam allows me fit more accessories without tearing the foam. Laser CNC is best for this but I don't have $5k for the 7watt gas laser. Plus, I wouldn't know how to use the software. $1,500 is still a lot to only find out if it can cut the foam.

But, if it does cut this stuff without gumming up. $1,500 is not so bad. I'd be able to make real nice laser like cuts with minimal marks. Is anyone in southern California? I'd like to bring a sample of the foam to test it.

Got to be very careful what you put into a laser cutter.. toxic fumes are a dangerous thing.. yes you vent it outside but don't always get 100% of it.. also have to be considerant of neighbors if they're close.. I know folks suggest cutting / carving foam with the CNC because it's easier on the carving bits for newbies.. If you don't get the feed and router / spindle speeds set right you can ruin a $50 - 100 bit in like 2 seconds.. learning these machines if you're brand-new to them can be pricey too.. Don't ask how I know, LOL