50/50 BLO

Rockytime

I just replenished my BLO with a new gallon each of Mineral Spirits and boiled linseed oil. I was using it to apply to some oak name plaques. For some reason the mixture turned white. That has never happened before. I shook the mixture turning it milky and used it. Very quickly it separated as shown in the photo. It seemed to work well but leaves me curious. This happen to anyone else in the Village?

1-20191016_152253.jpg

2-20191016_152028 (1).jpg

3-20191016_152003.jpg

It hasn’t happened to me. Looking at the label it says CLEEN STRIP GREEN. It also says 65% Renewable content which means its recycled. Also in Spanish it say SUBSTITUTE ODORLESS MINERAL SPIRITS. A few years ago I accidentally bought a gallon of the green stuff. I saw that it was milky. I only used it to clean my soaking pan and brushes. Did not use it for my 50/50 mixture because I didn’t know what it would do.

DANGER! I used this new stuff on several  oak board plaques. Just now trying to glue on letters I find nothing sticks. I put down painter's tape for alignment purposes but it will not stick. Scotch tape will not stick. Turning the board over which has no BLO the tape sticks very well. I'm done for today. I'm PO'd!

26 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

DANGER! I used this new stuff on several  oak board plaques. Just now trying to glue on letters I find nothing sticks. I put down painter's tape for alignment purposes but it will not stick. Scotch tape will not stick. Turning the board over which has no BLO the tape sticks very well. I'm done for today. I'm PO'd!

Les, what part of boiled linseed OIL did you not understand?