Ornaments For Charity Pattern Drive - 2019

Travis

ornaments.png

Holy Cow!  This will be our 10th anniversary of publishing the Ornaments For Charity ebook!  That's 10 years of scrollers giving back!  We're continuing our tradition here at Scroll Saw Village by publishing our annual e-Book full of Christmas ornaments. This popular e-Book was featured in the Holiday 2014 issue of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine.  Our ornament designs are exclusive to this eBook and designed by SSV members. Anyone can download the ebook in exchange for a donation to their favorite charity. Our hope is that we'd be able to raise some money for very worthy causes and provide some cool patterns at the same time.

*** But we need your help! ***

We need some volunteers to design some ornaments.

• Each designer will provide 5 patterns (no more, no less)
  • I ask that the designs are not made available anywhere else (this gives value to the e-book)
  • They have to be designed specifically by you (no posting other people's patterns)
  • Designs must be emailed (or PM) to Travis by Wednesday, November 27st (info below)

A few things to keep in mind:

• Religious and secular designs are accepted.
  • Other religions/traditions also celebrate this time of year, so let's not forget them.
  • Keep detail and size appropriate for an ornament.
  • Don't submit copyrighted or licensed patterns.
  • The due date will sneak up on you quicker than you think.  Please get them to me ASAP so I have time to work on them.

What do you get in exchange?

• Credit for your design.
  • The warm fuzzy feeling that you're helping others in need.

Submitting your ornaments:

• Email the ornaments directly to Travis (travis [at] scrollsawvillage.com) or PM me.
  • Formats accepted are JPG, PNG. Please keep the pattern in black & white only (no gray) . That way I can convert them easier when putting together the ebook.
  • I'll also accept Inkscape files (SVG). This is ideal if you know how to use Inkscape. That way I don't have to  manually convert them.

• Travis changed the title to Ornaments For Charity Pattern Drive - 2019
3 hours ago, Foxfold said:

I'd like to do one but have forgotten how to get the pattern to you and in what format or size. 😞 

Awesome!  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

All the info is in the first post.  We need it appropriate ornament size, which is around 3.5-4"  You can send it as a JPG or PNG in black or white.  Or you can save me some formatting time and send me the SVG if you designed it in Inkscape.  You can email it to me or PM it to me.

On 11/4/2019 at 7:56 PM, Travis said:

Awesome!  We have our first 4 designers!  8 more, and we'll beat last year's record.  Who else is in!?

1. @Travis
  2. @Foxfold
  3. @meflick
  4. @MrsN

Hey Fellas, the Ladies are out working you. 😉 we need some of you guys to step up and join us in providing some new ornament patterns. 🤨 Who else is in? 🤔 

Who else gunna jump in?  We'd like to beat last year's number, especially since it's our 10 year anniversary of this awesome e-book of ornament patterns!  Let me know so I can add you to the list.  I don't need the patterns until Wed 11/27!  I just need a show of hands.  👐

1. @Travis
  2. @Foxfold - Received
  3. @meflick
  4. @MrsN

(In my best auctioneer voice)  We have 4, 4, 4, who will give me 5?  5, 5, 5 to some'd to Christmas Cheer? 5't make it 't 10!  Who'd bid to get me 10?

source.gif

We'd like to hit 10 this year, being our 10 year anniversary, and all.  :)  Here's what we have so far:

1. @Travis
  2. @Foxfold - Received
  3. @meflick
  4. @MrsN - Received

Yeah, Paul, Fab4 is in. That gives us 5 - half way to Travis’ Goal of at least 10 in honor of the 10th year Edition. We need 5 patterns from 5 more. Gals still out numbering the guys 3-2. Who else is in? 🤨 I know we can do it. 6,6, we need 6, and then 7, 8, 9, and 10. 😉 (at least) I know we can get there but we need YOUR help. 

7 hours ago, don in brooklin on said:

I am in so 3 all.

Travis - do you one SVG or 5?  I have mine done in 1 svg.  They all based around a teacher theme.

Need to print and cut as I am new to this and want to make sure okay.

1 SVG with all 5 designs is good.  Thanks!

Ornaments don't have to be about Christmas.

Take a look at last year's book.  Lot's snowflakes, occupations, scenes etc.

I did mine based on a teacher's theme as my daughter wanted for a gift for her staff.

Couple of years ago I did a couple based on Harry Potter. Weird but it was a request from the secretary at the church.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

I wouldn't have a clue where to start, Christmas season was never my favorite holiday season (love the cold weather, though).  If you need patterns, though, hit me with a couple of ideas or a general direction to look in, and I'll get some patterns together.

The first time I agreed to provide some, I downloaded the book and looked through it and saw what was already in there. That helped me to develop some ideas. If you haven’t done that, it’s a good place to start. It’s also good if you develop a “theme” as it makes it easier to come up with 5 similar patterns. Doesn’t have to be similar, just makes it easier on you. As Don noted, they don’t have to be “Christmas” specific, like mistletoe, nativity, bells, Santa, elves, reindeer, etc. they can be, but almost anything works as people like ornaments of pretty much anything. Things people love, collect, etc. I haven’t gotten into my computer to get mine to Travis yet, or I would tell you what I was providing but I did a bunch last year as I got on a roll so I need to go see what those were and get them to him. 😉☺️