Farm Life - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

I grew up and live in farm country and raised in the city. Worked a little on a farm when I was very young, and enjoyed it very much. My dad grew up and was raised on an orchard farm in Norway which I managed to visit many years ago. I feel the ones who were raised on a farm are much all around better people. 
Pattern of portrait attached is by Alex Fox done on ⅛” BB ply 11 x 14 placed within a 16 x 20 frame (stack cut 3). 

D1CBF681-A5AC-4977-BED8-D5B5B668C1FA.jpeg

Edited by Ron Johnson

I was raised in a farming comunity and worked on a farm one summer for $35 a weak  and got paid extra for baling  hay $0.50 per hour. I enjoyed it very much ever the bailing.I don't do anything now on the farm except picking sweet corn for myself only, too old for farmwork. Now allI do is go visiting and fishing. I still love the country.

IKE

On 11/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, teachnlearn said:

I live in South Dakota and have been looking at houses in Missouri. We drive through South Dakota, Iowa and into Missouri through the summer and early fall. Each state had farm areas surrounded by water. One farm house and car was surrounded by water looking like an island.  This year with farms has me thinking of sailboats. Bad year for these guys. RJF

Missouri is a great state to live in. I'm located in the central part.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, Ron Johnson said:

I grew up and live in farm country and raised in the city. Worked a little on a farm when I was very young, and enjoyed it very much. My dad grew up and was raised on an orchard farm in Norway which I managed to visit many years ago. I feel the ones who were raised on a farm are much all around better people. 
Pattern of portrait attached is by Alex Fox done on ⅛” BB ply 11 x 14 placed within a 16 x 20 frame (stack cut 3). 

D1CBF681-A5AC-4977-BED8-D5B5B668C1FA.jpeg

Well done.  I had that pattern about midway up my longggg to do list.  Seeing your rendition of it has moved the pattern towards the top of my list.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:47 PM, Jim Finn said:

I grew up on a gravel road outside of town (not on a farm) and one block away from a huge corn field.  I now live in a Texas city that is surrounded by cotton fields so I made this box with cotton inlay.1642489863_Cottonbollrounded.thumb.jpg.1abe604b22103c0579c97b69e5f81ff7.jpg  

That is super nice Jim.
Many years ago we travelled through cotton country in QLD. Looked like somebody had emptied a truck .load of shredded toilet paper along the verges :)

Grew up with farming life, dad had me driving tractor when I was 9 , pulling harrows, the newborn in his field stopped me for chat, he pulled out his pack of uptown cigarettes gave me one as we needed a smoke break. Life was never better then that day. Patterns and cuttings I just looked at are precious memories from a skilled craftsmen, thank you

• Travis unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I grew up on a farm/ranch here in NE Montana. Agriculture has been a huge part of my life. My brother and I definitely helped out/worked on the farm with Dad while growing up. After high school, I went on to college and majored in Animal Science and Ag Education. My first post graduate job was on a large cattle ranch in Central Montana. We most tasks the old way due to the efficency, ease, and cost of doing it that way. We worked and doctored the cattle horseback, even fed through winter with horse teams and sleds. Honestly, the most enjoyable I've ever had. I think if there had been more opportunity to grow and increased pay, I'd still be there. Now, I'm running the Credit Union back in my hometown, and we specialize in Ag Lending. I do get to help out my folks and some of the old neighbors whenever I want to get out of the office, but also get to do what I can to make our members' farming operations work financially. I think my passion for Ag and this area does show up some in my woodworking. I do quite a bit of work with old barnwood, and as you can see, do have quite a few farm/ranch based projects. I see that this topic was started in November, and apologize for not posting until now. 

Asleep at the Wheel.jpg

Buckaroos.jpg

Combine Clock.jpg

Cowboy Clock #2.jpg

23 hours ago, Scrappile said:

@MTCowpoke22 sure glad I don't know where that first picture pattern came from..... I'd just have to cut that one.... All your cuttings a very well done.

Well then, I will NOT tell you that I got it from Scrolleronline.com. I don't recall who the designer is, but could look through my patterns and see. 

I appreciate you not telling me.  It is called "Asleep at the Wheel" by JZ,  can't remember the name that those initials are for.  He doesn't make patterns anymore.  I am sitting here shaking but for right now I am resisting pushing the "add to cart" button...  Not sure how long I can hold out..

Edited by Scrappile

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I appreciate you not telling me.  It is called "Asleep at the Wheel" by JZ,  can't remember the name that those initials are for.  He doesn't make patterns anymore.  I am sitting here shaking but for right now I am resisting pushing the "add to cart" button...  Not sure how long I can hold out..

Jeff Zeforino or something like that. He got caught up in the whole copyright issue. He was making patterns of copyrighted photos without permission.

Edited by dgman