Packing Tape

oldhudson

I m a spray glue guy all the way.  

No tape or other stuff, no time, money or patience for that stuff.  Just a super duper light coat of spray glue on the pattern.  Then you have to let it sit for at least 20 minutes.  srs.  It wil be barely tacky.  Put it on the wood. and cut.

Will come off when you are done and stay in place for cutting.

Takes some fiddling with to figure it out but once you do you will never go back,  

1 hour ago, crupiea said:

I m a spray glue guy all the way.  

No tape or other stuff, no time, money or patience for that stuff.  Just a super duper light coat of spray glue on the pattern.  Then you have to let it sit for at least 20 minutes.  srs.  It wil be barely tacky.  Put it on the wood. and cut.

Will come off when you are done and stay in place for cutting.

Takes some fiddling with to figure it out but once you do you will never go back,  

How do you do it on compound cuts? Or do you?

On 11/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, oldhudson said:

I'm pretty sure I've read in this forum that if you cover a pattern with packing tape - it will lubricate the blade and thru prevent burning. I've tried that a couple of times and I get so many reflections from the lights in the shop that it's near impossible to keep focus on the pattern line. What am I doing wrong???  Thanks for reading.

put the pattern on top of the packing tape

On compound cuts I always use packing tape. Not to hold it together but to lube the blade. I always use a clamping jig to keep the pieces together. With packing tape on all four sides, I find the blade cuts cleaner and faster and helps prevent burning, and the blade lasts longer. It works for me.

• 2 years later...

Odd question but would there be any benefit putting clear packing tape UNDER the pattern?  (well, under your wood, the part that contacts and "slides" on your scroll table)?  Simply asking because I'm trying to figure out how to avoid the "splintering" effect mostly of the starter holes I drill.  I am using a brad drill bit.  Any advice is appreciated

54 minutes ago, CajunTitan357 said:

Odd question but would there be any benefit putting clear packing tape UNDER the pattern?  (well, under your wood, the part that contacts and "slides" on your scroll table)?  Simply asking because I'm trying to figure out how to avoid the "splintering" effect mostly of the starter holes I drill.  I am using a brad drill bit.  Any advice is appreciated

Do you use a backer board, an extra “throw away” board under your workpiece, for the drill to land when you drill? That eliminates the splintering. 

On 11/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, Foxfold said:

Must confess, this summer I stopped using blue tape as I found it a pain to remove from detailed fretwork. So now I just glue my pattern straight onto my wood and use White Spirit to remove. So much easier for me this way.

same here

12 hours ago, CajunTitan357 said:

Roberta nailed it. Also slow your drilling speed down.  No, not the speed the drill turns but how fast you drill.  Many people tend to push the bit through instead of allowing the drill to drill.

And then lightly sand the bottom of the project piece to remove any remaining splinters.  Check the holes to make sure they are open enough to get the blade through.  And wax your table so the work piece will slide freely.  

Some types of wood are more prone to splintering.  As others have said, drill slower and let the drill bit cut the hole.  Drill bits wear and get dull and you might need a new bit.  

I used to swear by the blue painters tape on my wood and under the pattern. Later I saw a person who glued the pattern directly on the wood. I tried it and liked it except for the glue residue left after using mineral spirits. I did find that a cloth dipped into the MS would quickly take off the residue. Then I discovered something more.... (one thing I was skeptical about}, only using a very light coat of spray  glue on the pattern and not on the wood itself, and waiting for 3 minutes before applying the pattern directly on the wood. My thought was...the glue wood be too dry and the pattern would raise off the wood while I was cutting it, especially if it was a small holed fret piece. To my surprised it worked better than any method I had previously used. I also found on most of the patterns I was cutting, I was able to peel off the pattern quite easily without using any MS at all. This was a blessing because I also did not have any glue residue left behind like I did with the MS. Another good thing using this method was sometimes when I did use blue painters tape on BB ply it would sometimes lift some of the wood grain and the new method has never done that on me.  It is extremely important that I always sand the wood smooth and make sure there is no sanding residue on the wood before I place the pattern on it. I even run the palm of my hand over the wood surface to make sure I see no sawdust on my hand and only then am I assured it is clean enough to place my pattern on it.

heppnerguy

6 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

I used to swear by the blue painters tape on my wood and under the pattern. Later I saw a person who glued the pattern directly on the wood. I tried it and liked it except for the glue residue left after using mineral spirits. I did find that a cloth dipped into the MS would quickly take off the residue. Then I discovered something more.... (one thing I was skeptical about}, only using a very light coat of spray  glue on the pattern and not on the wood itself, and waiting for 3 minutes before applying the pattern directly on the wood. My thought was...the glue wood be too dry and the pattern would raise off the wood while I was cutting it, especially if it was a small holed fret piece. To my surprised it worked better than any method I had previously used. I also found on most of the patterns I was cutting, I was able to peel off the pattern quite easily without using any MS at all. This was a blessing because I also did not have any glue residue left behind like I did with the MS. Another good thing using this method was sometimes when I did use blue painters tape on BB ply it would sometimes lift some of the wood grain and the new method has never done that on me.  It is extremely important that I always sand the wood smooth and make sure there is no sanding residue on the wood before I place the pattern on it. I even run the palm of my hand over the wood surface to make sure I see no sawdust on my hand and only then am I assured it is clean enough to place my pattern on it.

heppnerguy

Sounds like a winner. I always spray the pattern and let it "cure" until it's barely tacky. Less tacky than a post-it note. 

19 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Sounds like a winner. I always spray the pattern and let it "cure" until it's barely tacky. Less tacky than a post-it note. 

I was always a little afraid to do that because I was afraid the pattern would lift when I was cutting. So glad to be a scroller and find all the different ways people do things. I have hit many places where I was sure I was doing things in the best possible way and later tried something different that  made changes for me. 

Dick

heppnerguy

17 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

I was always a little afraid to do that because I was afraid the pattern would lift when I was cutting. So glad to be a scroller and find all the different ways people do things. I have hit many places where I was sure I was doing things in the best possible way and later tried something different that  made changes for me. 

Dick

heppnerguy

There is no way that anybody can know it all. I've met some folks who thought they did though. They soon dim their lights when you show them the error of their ways. I love learning new things. I guess that's why I love Instructables and Youtube so much. Alway find what I need there.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, JimErn said:

I am the odd ball, I do not use packing or blue tape at all, no adverse effects

No, you are not the oddball. I see these methods being touted all the time and since I have been scrolling for, well let's just say a couple of years, and although I tried those methods, I find no appreciable difference, and essentially save steps and money simply using a repositioning adhesive to affix my patterns to the project. I do lightly sand the top piece though which helps the adhesive to better bond. I am not simply a sceptic either. Whenever I see a new method or idea, I do give it a fair test to see if it works. I did that and found it to be a complete waste of my time and money.

As to lubricating the blades as some say, I find the opposite. I do use blue painter's tape on the edges when stack sawing to hold the pieces together, and when I hit some of that tape, I notice it being harder/slower to cut. Slower means friction to me and what dulls blades in my opinion is heat.

But, as I will always say, people should do whatever works for them. And I will never say that this way or that is best. What's best is what works for each person. I am sure some will disagree, and that of course is the way of the world. Regardless, enjoy the journey.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, Jim Blume said:

I do use blue painter's tape on the edges when stack sawing to hold the pieces together, and when I hit some of that tape, I notice it being harder/slower to cut. Slower means friction to me and what dulls blades in my opinion is heat.

I tried the blue tape for stack cutting, then one day someone mentioned hot glue, so I tried it.  For me it works so much better.  I put a dab of hot glue on each side, by the corner and the middle while clamping the wood together.  A razor knife separates them when I am done and a small block plane removes any left overs.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, OCtoolguy said:

There is no way that anybody can know it all. I've met some folks who thought they did though. They soon dim their lights when you show them the error of their ways. I love learning new things. I guess that's why I love Instructables and Youtube so much. Alway find what I need there.

I am the same way. You never learn anything new from the words a person speaks themselves but it is the listening to others where one learns something new. Everyone has some knowledge to share if only the other shuts his or her mouth and opens their ears. I had a person make a remark to me when I tried to give him a compliment. I said to him, "You seem to have a lot of  knowledge". His reply to me was, "I have forgotten more then you'll  ever know". I bet he doesn't learn much from others.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 1/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, Jim Blume said:

No, you are not the oddball. I see these methods being touted all the time and since I have been scrolling for, well let's just say a couple of years, and although I tried those methods, I find no appreciable difference, and essentially save steps and money simply using a repositioning adhesive to affix my patterns to the project. I do lightly sand the top piece though which helps the adhesive to better bond. I am not simply a sceptic either. Whenever I see a new method or idea, I do give it a fair test to see if it works. I did that and found it to be a complete waste of my time and money.

As to lubricating the blades as some say, I find the opposite. I do use blue painter's tape on the edges when stack sawing to hold the pieces together, and when I hit some of that tape, I notice it being harder/slower to cut. Slower means friction to me and what dulls blades in my opinion is heat.

But, as I will always say, people should do whatever works for them. And I will never say that this way or that is best. What's best is what works for each person. I am sure some will disagree, and that of course is the way of the world. Regardless, enjoy the journey.

I have to totally agree. That is the one thing I have learned over the years I have been scrolling. Everyone has a some knowledge that we ourselves have not. If one is closed to others ideas, he will find themselves in a stuck position. I have learned most of the knowledge about scrolling I  have today is because of posts others have made. Some I find do not work well for me or I just like what I am already doing so I do not change. However, that said, I try to keep my ears and mind open so I do not miss an opportunity to learn.

Dick

heppnerguy