Feedback Wanted - Personalized Ornament Kit

Travis

Thanks everybody who chose to buy this personalized ornament kit.  I think the response has been very positive so far, which makes me happy.  If you purchased the kit and had a chance to play around with it a bit, can you leave a review on the product page?  I think other members will find that helpful in deciding if it's right for them.  Again, thank you for your support.  I greatly appreciate it. :)

I bought mine and it seems a very easy system to use. 

I followed all your instruction very easily, thank you.  However.  The first name I put into it was ''Tony''  🤣   trust me to pick a name that don't fit. 🤣   I lost the end of the  'y' in the printing  so I think I may have to move the name and attach it to the  'top'  of the box.

20 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

I followed all your instruction very easily, thank you.  However.  The first name I put into it was ''Tony''  🤣   trust me to pick a name that don't fit. 🤣   I lost the end of the  'y' in the printing  so I think I may have to move the name and attach it to the  'top'  of the box.

Steve Good uses upper case to get away from that problem.  

Hi Travis, it's 12:00 noon on Thanksgiving Day and I;m attempting to purchase your Personalized Ornament Kit through PayPal.  I get a message that PayPal is not working and I should try again, which I have.  I will continue to try through the weekend, hopefully I am not doing some thing wrong.

I hope you and your family enjoy the holiday!

On 11/27/2019 at 5:06 PM, Travis said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  That sounds like a firewall on your computer is blocking it.  It could be your computer security settings, browser security settings, or a virus scanner.  Many times when it blocks a download, there's a popup saying it won't download.  On that popup, there's usually a "Advanced" button you can click.  Click that and it will give you the option of downloading anyway.  If that doesn't work, shoot me a email and I'll email the files to you.

Absolutely.  I'd love suggestions for future ornament designs.  You can share them here, or you can PM me.  Thanks for the feedback.  :)

Yah, I can flush it out a bit more in the written tutorial.  I'll see if I can update that in the next day or so.  The ornament kit is meant for folks who are familiar with Inkscape.  I wrote in the description something to the order that you need a working knowledge of Inscape, but don't have to be an expert.

I was just thinking of more people to download it and inkscape to use the patterns more pennies in the pocket Travis I know you said people with inkscape experience don't know how many of them are out there. Hope it works out thanks for all your work in this forum you do great. :thumbs:Roly

5 hours ago, Foxfold said:

I usually like block style letters in all caps.  They seem to fit better in the name frame.  Remember, you can stretch the name frame sideways to accommodate long names.

5 minutes ago, Hudson River Rick said:

Hi Travis, it's 12:00 noon on Thanksgiving Day and I;m attempting to purchase your Personalized Ornament Kit through PayPal.  I get a message that PayPal is not working and I should try again, which I have.  I will continue to try through the weekend, hopefully I am not doing some thing wrong.

I hope you and your family enjoy the holiday!

OH No!  I've been having a few orders come in.  But, maybe PayPal is having temporary issues.  You could also try rebooting your computer.  Maybe your browser isn't connecting to PayPal fast enough.  I can't imagine that would be it, but it's worth a try.

Thanks Travis!! Super easy to download, customize, and cut! I did 5 for the grandkids I’ll see this weekend and patterns to cut and mail 3 more next week. 

Scott got me started on animal puzzles the other day. I showed one to the vet we take our cat to and they want to carry some! This idea just popped into my head...Why don’t I do a couple with “pet’s names or dog breads” and show them to the vet? Sounds like sales to me!

And nicknames for our retired running buddies on the border in S. TX...that’s another thing.

I can see a lot of uses of being able to do quick easy custom names. Have fun with it!

Edited by OzarkSawdust

Got mine right away and cut two pieces for my niece and nephew over the weekend.  Never used inkscape before, but your video instructions made it very easy to manipulate.  Thanks for coming up with this great idea.

My one question is:  Is there a way in inkscape to change the size when it prints?  I just printed them normally and they seemed a little big, so I ran it through the copier at a few different settings and decided that 80% looked the best to me.  This work around isn't terrible, but if there was a way to print the original at a different size, that would eliminate the extra printing.

Steve.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, barb.j.enders said:

Thanks Travis,  Will grab it tonight. I always give my nieces & nephews an ornament for Christmas, but don't have 5 to order from Steve.  Looking forward to this for next year!!

Ordered and paid through Paypal on November 29th but haven't received notice that I have received the download.  What do I do??  I have checked my spam folder - not there.

7 hours ago, Paladin said:

Got mine right away and cut two pieces for my niece and nephew over the weekend.  Never used inkscape before, but your video instructions made it very easy to manipulate.  Thanks for coming up with this great idea.

My one question is:  Is there a way in inkscape to change the size when it prints?  I just printed them normally and they seemed a little big, so I ran it through the copier at a few different settings and decided that 80% looked the best to me.  This work around isn't terrible, but if there was a way to print the original at a different size, that would eliminate the extra printing.

Steve.

After you Union the ornament so that it is in 1 object, you can

1. Choose the Selection tool
  2. Select your ornament.
  3. Hold down CTR and grab the corner of the ornament and resize up or down.

image.png

Alternatively:

1. Choose the Selection tool
  2. Select your ornament.
  3. At the top, of the screen, next to 'H', use the pulldown and change the units to Inches (in)
  4. Then click the padlock button between the W & H fields to constrain the aspect ratio
  5. Then type in either width or height to resize to an exact size

image.png

2 hours ago, danny said:

Downloaded Easily.  Was in a ZIP format.  Clicked on everything.  Instructions Great. 

Cannot locate the Patterns or any info concerning.  Probably Easy, but am missing something.    Danny  :+{

I'm not sure if I understand.  Are you looking for the SVG files?  They're all packaged within the zip file.

Make sure you extract the files from the Zip file (drag them to your desktop).  Then, be sure to open the files in Inkscape.  I ran into an issue where a user didn't have Inkscape installed and it opened in GIMP instead.  That won't work.  It has to be opened in Inkscape.  Once you open the file in Inkscape, the patterns will be there and would look similar to the video tutorial I posted in the first post of this thread.

I've highlighted the files that are Inkscape.  If you're based in the US, you only need CustomHolidayOrnaments2019_US-Letter.svg.

image.png

I hope this helps.

6 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Ordered and paid through Paypal on November 29th but haven't received notice that I have received the download.  What do I do??  I have checked my spam folder - not there.

You can go to the file and and click the Download button and it will download to your computer.  Let me know if it's not working.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, Travis said:

You can go to the file and and click the Download button and it will download to your computer.  Let me know if it's not working.

Travis,  I seem to get everything except the patterns.  I got the different dollar amounts, the instructions and the "custom pattern by" svg.

6 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Travis,  I seem to get everything except the patterns.  I got the different dollar amounts, the instructions and the "custom pattern by" svg.

Everything should be there in a single zip file.  I'm not sure what you mean by the "custom pattern by" svg.  We have a GIMP file that allows you to customize the promo.  What you want is the CustomHolidayOrnaments2019_US-Letter.svg

Make sure you extract the files from the Zip file (drag them to your desktop).  Then, be sure to open the files in Inkscape.  I ran into an issue where a user didn't have Inkscape installed and it opened in GIMP instead.  That won't work.  It has to be opened in Inkscape.  Once you open the file in Inkscape, the patterns will be there and would look similar to the video tutorial I posted in the first post of this thread.

image.png

Let me know if this isn't working.  Can you post a screenshot so I can see what you're seeing?

17 hours ago, Travis said:

Everything should be there in a single zip file.  I'm not sure what you mean by the "custom pattern by" svg.  We have a GIMP file that allows you to customize the promo.  What you want is the CustomHolidayOrnaments2019_US-Letter.svg

image.png

Let me know if this isn't working.  Can you post a screenshot so I can see what you're seeing?

This is what I see.image.thumb.png.0b45b4600716665fa8f56ef3fc9463e0.png

image.thumb.png.0b45b4600716665fa8f56ef3fc9463e0.png

3 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

image.thumb.png.0b45b4600716665fa8f56ef3fc9463e0.png

There's a few things I'm seeing.  First, you're looking at the contents of your zip file.  You need to extract them to your desktop first.  Just select everything inside the zip file and drag them to your desktop.  Your two files are at the top (I circled them on the screenshot below).  Looking at this, it appears you don't have Inkscape installed on your computer.  As a result, it is opening in Google Chrome, which won't work.  You'll need to download Inkscape and install it.  You can find Inkscape here:  https://inkscape.org/

Once installed, you should be able to double-click the files and they'll open in Inkscape.  If that doesn't work, launch Inkscape, then go to File>Open and select the file you put on your desktop. The file you want is:  CustomHolidayOrnaments2019_US-Letter.svg

Let me know if you're still having trouble.

image.png

22 hours ago, Travis said:

There's a few things I'm seeing.  First, you're looking at the contents of your zip file.  You need to extract them to your desktop first.  Just select everything inside the zip file and drag them to your desktop.  Your two files are at the top (I circled them on the screenshot below).  Looking at this, it appears you don't have Inkscape installed on your computer.  As a result, it is opening in Google Chrome, which won't work.  You'll need to download Inkscape and install it.  You can find Inkscape here:  https://inkscape.org/

Once installed, you should be able to double-click the files and they'll open in Inkscape.  If that doesn't work, launch Inkscape, then go to File>Open and select the file you put on your desktop. The file you want is:  CustomHolidayOrnaments2019_US-Letter.svg

Let me know if you're still having trouble.

image.png

Well that was way more challenging that I like!!  I had inkscape installed already.  Had to open it first and import it that way.  Thanks for your help!!