An Introduction

Badgerboy

Good morning, my name is Todd Wade and I have been a "lurker" around these parts for about 2 months.  I live outside Clemson, SC but no, I am not a Clemson fan but rather an unabashed Badger fan, hence my handle Badgerboy.  I grew up in Wisconsin with my Dad starting me on woodworking when I was about 8, been in the shop ever since.  I have been lucky to have a Dad, Grandfather, and several uncles who were all woodworkers and were all willing to share their wisdom.  I recently retired from a career as an Operations Exec in the electronics industry.  It is wonderful to have the time at home to be in the shop. 

During a November visit this past year to my wife's uncle in Minnesota, 88 yr old master carpenter, I was introduced to scroll sawing.  Bought my first saw in mid November, Pegas 21", and started to learn the craft.  SSV was a HUGE help for which I am very grateful.  After running thru several practice patterns from into book recommended on this site I decided to dive into my first project which was inspired by my uncle.  These pumpkin faces were a little rough but not a bad start.  I moved onto a few Christmas ornaments thanks to Travis and his "Business starter" package that he published in early Dec.  Most of these went to family and friends.  I did take a shot at a Sue Mey heart frame and now have my 4th frame on the table today as several friends have requested one for Valentines Day.  Lastly I have cut several of Iguanadon's dog puzzles which have been very fun.  Many thanks to Denny for all his wisdom and assistance when I sneak in a truckload of questions while I have him on the phone to order Pegas MGT blades.  Also thanks to Kevin (kmmcrafts) who has been very responsive to questions about the business side I have sent in his direction. 

I believe going forward my biggest challenge will be to decide which project to work on during my daily shop time.  I am finding it difficult to "put down" the scroll saw and go work on the two other furniture commissions I have that need to be done in the next couple of months.  Thanks again to all who have shared wisdom in this place, it is a wonderful place to hang out. 

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

I've always believed that a background in woodworking gives one a pretty good head start in learning how to scroll.  Your work would seem to bear that theory out.

Nicely done.  Those Jack-O-Lanterns are pretty clever.  Don't recall ever seeing that design before.  Are those made from commercially available patterns?

17 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

I've always believed that a background in woodworking gives one a pretty good head start in learning how to scroll.  Your work would seem to bear that theory out.

Nicely done.  Those Jack-O-Lanterns are pretty clever.  Don't recall ever seeing that design before.  Are those made from commercially available patterns?

Bill, I absolutely agree with you that a history of making and loving sawdust truly helps you progress more quickly. Thank you for the nice comments. Yes, the pattern for the jack o’ laterns can be found here: https://www.meiselwoodhobby.com/Products/ViewProduct.aspx?id=15027

2 hours ago, munzieb said:

Welcome to SSV. Your work looks great. Like you, I started scrolling after I retired and always have some sort of project going on. I am on the other side of Greenville from you. Maybe some day we can meet in the middle and talk about scrolling. 

Munzieb, that would be great to meet you in Greenville for lunch. 

• 2 weeks later...