Hi there, I have scoured the internet trying to find an answer to my issue or even someone who has experienced the same issues I’m having with my dewalt 788. 

I purchased it new in March of 2019. I use it fairly often but average about 5-10 hours per week of cutting. I had to take it to factory repair in the summer ( after owning it for 2 months) because in the middle of a project it stopped working. I moved from one pilot hole to another and it wouldn’t turn on. They replaced the switch and that was that. 

Now it’s happened again however this time is different, the saw will start to sputter and I could hear by the sound of it that something was wrong. It stopped working again. My father in law happened to be in here that evening and for some reason pushed down on the top blade holder arm and the thing started going again. It isn’t useable as just as soon as it gets going again if you attempt to cut anything it sputters and slows down until it stops again and the only way to restart it is by pushing on the arm. 

Im at a loss as to what could be happening, dewalt factory service isn’t open until Monday and is over 2 hours drive each way so I was really hoping to find something to try and attempt to make this useable this weekend. 

You might try taking the motor brushes out of their recesses and blowing out any dirt or residue that is in the holes. It appears that it's a "sticky" spot on the motor/armature. By pushing down or jiggling the top arm it is rotating the motor to a slightly different spot and picking up current again. Might require a motor replacement. This is my best guess.

it's possible that one of the wires to the switch s loose. Try taking it apart and see wha is loose in there. When pushing down on the arm you might be causing it to make contact and run.It's probably an easy repair. Try bypassing the switch to see if it's possibly a bad switch. Just because it is a new one it doesn't mean it is a good one??

Edited by Karl S

I ran across this when researching the Dewalt 788. On another forum someone had the same problem, it was the switch. Another user said the Dewalt 788 is notorious for this problem and to cover the switch with a plastic bag to keep the sawdust out and also said to install a foot pedal to end it once and for all.

If this is a new saw I would not take it apart, not touch it just get it back to the dealer and ask for either a new saw or a back up while they work on this one. Still under warrenty. Now if this is a used saw then say that here and maybe someone will come up with some help.  Make an identifying mark on the saw somewhere that you can see that this is your saw when you get it back. I do this all the time when I have any tool repaired. too many shady things happen in the world. 

Thanks for the two cents everyone. We did a little surgery tonight and from what we can tell it’s a motor issue. We live a fair drive away from dewalt service and they aren’t open on the weekend so although I intended to bring it up as soon as possible to be looked at, I was hoping to not lose cutting time this weekend. 

thanks again! 

43 minutes ago, Jamie563 said:

Thanks for the two cents everyone. We did a little surgery tonight and from what we can tell it’s a motor issue. We live a fair drive away from dewalt service and they aren’t open on the weekend so although I intended to bring it up as soon as possible to be looked at, I was hoping to not lose cutting time this weekend. 

thanks again! 

If this is the second time you've had to take it in, I'd tell them you want a new saw or your money back.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

If this is the second time you've had to take it in, I'd tell them you want a new saw or your money back.

Yeah, I’m fairly convinced I received a lemon from the beginning since the reviews are pretty decent for the price point. At this point I’m going to fight for a replacement. 

I had a dewalt 788 and I hac everything go rong with it I took it into the repair station and they kept it for 1 month I contacted dewalt they came out and fixed it at no charge ( The saw was 4 years old0 It ran good fro about a month so I took it back and they fixed again but charger me It lasted about 2 months and broke down. i junked it and bought a Dewalt and i have had no lproblems yet and it is under 5 years warentee. I am on the 3rd year of use with it.I like it much better than the Dewalt 788 basicly tlhe same design It's not as agressive as the 788 and is reliable.

I am on a fixed income and don't have enough money for the high end saw.I did make enough money ;on the saw to buy one this year but I think I will stick to the Deltya.

IKE

3 hours ago, ike said:

I had a dewalt 788 and I hac everything go rong with it I took it into the repair station and they kept it for 1 month I contacted dewalt they came out and fixed it at no charge ( The saw was 4 years old0 It ran good fro about a month so I took it back and they fixed again but charger me It lasted about 2 months and broke down. i junked it and bought a Dewalt and i have had no lproblems yet and it is under 5 years warentee. I am on the 3rd year of use with it.I like it much better than the Dewalt 788 basicly tlhe same design It's not as agressive as the 788 and is reliable.

I am on a fixed income and don't have enough money for the high end saw.I did make enough money ;on the saw to buy one this year but I think I will stick to the Deltya.

IKE

Sometimes you have to know when to say enough is enough and fold the hand of cards you were dealt. There are lemons in anything we buy. Happy Scrolling.

12 hours ago, Jamie563 said:

Yeah, I’m fairly convinced I received a lemon from the beginning since the reviews are pretty decent for the price point. At this point I’m going to fight for a replacement. 

Sorry to say this but I am not sure where you saw the reviews but the newer De Walts are notorious for failures.  Once upon a time they were very good but no longer.  My advise is try to get your money back.

3 hours ago, ike said:

IKE

I used my Delta for years with no problems.  Contrary to what a lot of you folks say about warranties, I unpacked mine, made sure it ran & took apart the brand new saw and greased it.  Greased it again annually.  Only thing I'd add about the switch is that the Delta (& most likely the 788) has a hole in both sides of the switch housing.  Insert a zip tie in one side, up & over the "ON" part of the switch & you can thread it out the hole on the other side.  Next, swing the tie towards you (holding the switch back) and tighten the zip tie.  That locks the switch ON and sawdust isn't any longer a problem. That's why God created foot switches.

jerry

• 2 weeks later...

If pushing on the upper arm will cause it to start, you quite likely have dead spots in the motor armature. If it stops on one of those spots the motor won't restart until it's shaft is rotated  rotated to get the brushes to contact good places. Take the saw back to DeWalt and tell them that the motor has dead spots. They will either give you a new saw or replace the motor in your saw. I think your saw is still under warranty, so this shouldn't cost you anything, except separation time of you and your saw.

Charley