Kris Martinson

14 hours ago, Kris Martinson said:

USING GIMP 2 TO MAKE SCROLL SAW PATTERNS
Here is the method that I have been using with GIMP 2 to create most of my scroll saw patterns. It takes time and patience and practice. But it is well worth it, and it becomes easier as you do it repeatedly.

1. It helps to choose a photo with fairly high contrast. I often use the photo editing software built into my Windows operating system to improve the contrast of a photo, before I begin with GIMP. Then save it to a file you can access easily.
2. Open GIMP 2 and click “File” in upper left corner. Click “Open” from the drop-down menu.
3. Navigate to the file containing your photo and select it. Click “Open” at the bottom right corner. [If a pop-up window with “Convert to RGB working space?” opens up, click on “convert”.]
4. Click “Image” from the GIMP toolbar. Click “Scale Image”. In the pop-up window, put in the number 300 in “X resolution”, then click the little chain next to it on the right so the chain is connected. Next to the upper “Pixels” box, click the down arrow and choose “Inches”. Put in the width you want your pattern to be, then click the little chain next to it so the chain is connected. Then click “Scale” at the bottom of this window. If the image is now too large for your screen, click on “View” on the toolbar and choose “Zoom”, then choose “fit image to window".
5. Now that your photo is sized correctly, click “Colors” on the GIMP toolbar, then click “Desaturate”. Then click OK on the pop-up window that opens. This will make your photo black and white.
5a. Click on "Filters" on the upper toolbar. Then click on "Artistic" then "Cartoon" from the successive dropdown menus. Set Mask Radius at 50 and set Percent Black at 0.280. I use these settings to start with, but you can play around with them in the preview window. Then click "Apply".
6. Again click “Colors” on the toolbar, then click “Brightness-Contrast”. In the pop-up window, slide the contrast button to the far right. Then slide the brightness button left or right until you get the pattern as close as you can to the way you want it. I usually end up using a brightness in the 90s.
7. Click “OK” at the bottom of the pop-up window.
8. If you want to clean up your pattern, choose the Eraser icon from the toolbox on the left. If you double-click it, it will open a pop-up window where you can adjust the size of the eraser (the size controller is called Scale). Remember that when cutting, you must leave all the parts of wood connected to the “mother board”. The eraser tool lets you adjust your pattern for this requirement by removing “black” areas from the pattern, so that you have NO isolated islands of white that are not connected to the main white pattern background. This is extremely important. This is the step that will take the longest time. Be patient and make it count, and it will produce a good, usable pattern.
9. To print your pattern, click "File" at the top left corner of the main screen and then select “Print”. You can adjust the size of your image print-out by selecting “Image Settings” at the top of the pop-up window.
10. To save your pattern, click "File" at the top left corner of the main screen and then click “Save As”. In the pop-up window, rename your pattern so you won’t replace your original photo, then click the “Save” button twice. Then in the new pop-up window, slide the “Quality” tab to 100, then click “Save”. The pattern will be saved to the file where you kept your original photo, unless you tell it to save it elsewhere.

Thank so much for taking your time to type and send this to me.. I just now saw it and I copied and saved it for later 'go to' . I am now going to print it and go study it and see what you have to say about GIMP.  I have used this program a few times and will see if there is anything new in what you are sharing. If not, it will be a good review. If so I am ready to learn, Either way know I appreciate it a lot and will use it as you describe. I will let you know when I attempt it and let you see my results and maybe get some further instructions on how I can improve on pattern

Thanks again

Dick

heppnerguy. 

4 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Thank so much for taking your time to type and send this to me.. I just now saw it and I copied and saved it for later 'go to' . I am now going to print it and go study it and see what you have to say about GIMP.  I have used this program a few times and will see if there is anything new in what you are sharing. If not, it will be a good review. If so I am ready to learn, Either way know I appreciate it a lot and will use it as you describe. I will let you know when I attempt it and let you see my results and maybe get some further instructions on how I can improve on pattern

Thanks again

Dick

heppnerguy. 

You and I both Dick @Kris Martinson
Fab4

I gave it a try on a random picture or a quail in some grass.  My attempt needed a lot of clean up that I don't feel like doing.  So my lessons so far, pick a better picture and play around more with the contrast to get a cleaner starting pattern.  I'll just have to try again later when I have time.