Pre Wed Double Portrait

Ninuninu

I have just been reading over the above comments Tony you should have held a raffle like "guess how many sweet are in the jar" or "guess the name of the Easter bunny to win it" only you could have had it "guess how many less holes Tony would have had to make if he had a shave first" ha ha ha

I will start the bid for 900 less holes lol

Gordon

19 hours ago, planeur said:

Incredible work Tony , so much details, beautiful ! And by hand only..... you just won the "Patience trophy" 😎

Question : what is the smallest  drill  you use to make your entry holes ?

Thanks

planeur

Thanks planeur

I normally use a 1 mm drill bit, which is a pretty decent sized hole for me, but on some of the things I cut when it gets really detailed I go down to 0.4 mm to give me as small an entry hole as possible. I only use that drill bit when scaling down to a 0/2 blade instead of a size 2.

Here is a pic of the drill I use, you see I have a thing against power tools when doing my fret work. I try to keep it as old school as possible. It is set up with a 1 mm bit at the moment.

Cheers and have a good one

Tony

CaptureFisfisel.thumb.JPG.f12cf25b79b08257059bb0c0e519b7d8.JPG

Edited by Ninuninu

17 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I'm almost at a loss for words!  That is an amazingly difficult portrait to cut even with a scroll saw.  With a fretsaw,,,,,, WOW!!  Very nice work.  A real treasure.

Thanks Scrappile

Have to agree it was difficult and there were times I felt like packing it in and throwing everything away but stayed with it and am very glad I did.

Cheers

Tony

15 hours ago, dgman said:

Absolutely amazing work Tony! Question, do you use a spiral blades?

Thanks Dan

No I use normal skip tooth straight blades. I have tried spiral blades but found that they rip the wood rather than cut it. I think it has something to do with the speed factor of the blades going up and down. Seeing as I am much slower than a machine I can never seem to get a clean cut.

Tony

14 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Impressive to say the least but it is time to come over to the dark side and get a scrollsaw. You can do more of that type work and enjoy it. No shame in this. It is when you start using the CNC and laser machines that to me are not scrollsawing and just are cheating. Never was impressed with those using CNC and lasers. Yea those people talk about knowledge to set up machine but what the heck is that when it comes to hand eye coordination. Won't go into that here because no one will ever change my mind on that. Hopefully we can change your mind on a scrollsaw. That still requires hand eye coordination and is scrolling as is what you do. Very well done.  

Thanks John

I have to agree with you when it comes to CNC and laser. Apart from being very clinical it takes the artistry and fun out of doing anything. They do talk about knowledge and I don't want to undermine that in any way but as you yourself said, it is the hand eye coordination. That is skill not knowledge.

Tony

14 hours ago, munzieb said:

Absolutely stunning, especially using a fret saw. I've done a few portraits and the two hardest things to get right are the "light of eye" and HAIR! I imagine shaving is out of the question but have you ever considered combining pyrography with scroll saw?

Thanks munzieb

Shaving was a little out of the question for the missus. 🙂 I have tried to dabble a little in pyrography (not with good results yet I might add) and it is probably my lack of experience in this but found some problems when it came to the difference in the grain pattern. I usually use a higher quality oak veneered plywood for  my cuttings and it is only when I am embarking on a special project that I go for solid wood. (The reasons behind this of cutting with  a fret saw are quite obvious). When I have tried with my pyrographer I have found that the difference in the grain makes it more difficult to burn equally. On thing I do want to try is a little burning on Birch plywood because it looks to be better.

Cheers

Tony

13 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Cheating?!,,,, I would bet maybe Tony, thinks all of us using fancy electric scroll saws, with variable  speed, quick change clamps, stay up top arms...etc.,,, are the ones cheating,,,, 😉

11 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Yea but we can say we are scrollsawing. Using a laser to cut the same pattern there is no way you can say you were scrollsawing. I would not have the patients to do fret work with a fret saw for sure. That was my point. Yea I bet he thinks we are cheating too. 

Nice one guys. Never thought of the cheating aspect of it. 😄 Actually I do not see it as cheating but as an extension of the craft. A couple of friends of mine use scroll saws and like the majority of people here cut amazing things. I am not against the scroll saw at all but I just love doing things with a fret saw. 

I have on occasion been 'accused' of using a laser and passing it off as hand cut because they used to say that my work was too good to be cut by hand, (their words not mine)  I used to get really offended with this but more recently I take this as being a huge compliment. If people think that my work is laser cut then i must be doing something right.  🙂

Cheers guys

Tony

11 hours ago, Gordon 121 said:

I have seen a lot of stunning work on this site but you my friend are in a league of your own, stunning work, you and your good lady should very proud of it. 

Gordon

Thanks for the high praise Gordon and both of us are very proud of the result, but I still see myself as learning with a long way to go.

Tony

7 hours ago, Gordon 121 said:

I have just been reading over the above comments Tony you should have held a raffle like "guess how many sweet are in the jar" or "guess the name of the Easter bunny to win it" only you could have had it "guess how many less holes Tony would have had to make if he had a shave first" ha ha ha

I will start the bid for 900 less holes lol

Gordon

Not a bad guess really Gordon. If I am not mistaken, the entry holes for my head alone were somewhere in the region of over 700 so i most definitely would have saved a bunch of time had I shaved. 😄

Tony

7 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Okay, let's knock off the beard comments.  What is wrong with a beard??  All men had them until some dumba** invented a razor.  I have had a beard since 1967 with no regets....  I suppose you shave your arm pits also.....🤨😂

I once shave my beard because my mother in law wondered what I looked like without it. The wife told me to NEVER do it again or I would be in deep trouble 🙂

Tony

6 hours ago, spirithorse said:

Absolutely fantastic work, Tony and I really was impressed with the pattern making skills also!

Congratulations on the recent marriage also.
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Thanks for the congrats and praise Spirithorse.

The pattern was difficult to do and one of the major problems was making sure there were no islands left bobbing around but I finally was happy with the pattern and cutting.

Tony

6 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I guess the first amazing thing I saw was the pattern. Amazingly lifelike. How did you do something that large? Second the largest fret saw I ever saw was, I think, 12". Where did you find that? Lastly the incredible finished project. Unreal!

Thanks Les

Pattern making for me is also a big chore because I do all my patterns by hand also. I convert a photo to greyscale and then ink in all the details I need by hand so sometimes the pattern making can take me almost as long as the cutting. I normally work on an A4 size sheet for the pattern and enlarge at a printing house accordingly.

Regarding the saws I use I have three in all but use two of them on a regular basis. Let me introduce you to my ladies...

CaptureSaws1.thumb.JPG.edc142c0e2145173f9f71493d3aef95d.JPG

CaptureSaws2.thumb.JPG.cff8c7494e03d58b428caefac3ffed91.JPG

CaptureSaws3.thumb.JPG.2c4ffb7e613b7d2a12b25bb203565351.JPG

The blue one was store bought and I do most of my work with this, while the yellow one is two store bought saws that were cut and welded together to give it a greater depth. At first this was a little difficult to use as was not as balanced as the store bought but managed to play around with my cutting technique and now I use it as well as the store bought one. Finally the grey one I had specially manufactured to allow me to do some really large pieces. The sizes are approx: BLUE 11 1/2 inches, YELLOW 18 inches and GREY 32 inches.

I have only used the grey one a couple of times because of a couple of drawbacks. Firstly I did not take into consideration the weight of the saw that would put a lot of pressure on my wrist but managed to overcome this problem by resting the saw on a stand to take the majority of the weight. Secondly, being so long the blade end of the saw does jump about a little and is not as rigid as I would like so it can sometimes seem to take on a life of its own. Finally and this is something I have not been able to work around yet is the reach of my arm. Seeing that my arm is beneath the wood pulling the saw down for the cut, if the blade position to the edge of the wood is longer than my arm can reach then I wouldn't be able to cut it.

Hope that this sheds some light on your questions and gives a little more insight of how I do things. 🙂

Thanks again

Tony