Excalibur EX-19 from early 1990's - Pre-sale advice needed

MarylandScroller

I have an Excalibur EX-19 which I purchased used 13 years ago. I updated it with the improved clamps (purchased from Seyco).
The saw works well. I would like to sell the saw, but haven't seen any of the EX-19's for sale for quite some time, so I am not sure what the saw is worth. Is there still a market for this saw? It is one of the early ones, built by Sommerville in Canada in 1993.  I recall a thread a few years ago in this forum where a was a used EX-19 being sold for $500 and the consensus was that this was way overpriced because parts are no longer available for the EX-19.  I am just trying to figure out what a fair price would be for this machine.  These machines might be old but are built like tanks and work very well.

Alan

3 hours ago, MarylandScroller said:

I have an Excalibur EX-19 which I purchased used 13 years ago. I updated it with the improved clamps (purchased from Seyco).
The saw works well. I would like to sell the saw, but haven't seen any of the EX-19's for sale for quite some time, so I am not sure what the saw is worth. Is there still a market for this saw? It is one of the early ones, built by Sommerville in Canada in 1993.  I recall a thread a few years ago in this forum where a was a used EX-19 being sold for $500 and the consensus was that this was way overpriced because parts are no longer available for the EX-19.  I am just trying to figure out what a fair price would be for this machine.  These machines might be old but are built like tanks and work very well.

Hi Alan, I hope this is of some value. I have been watching with no actual interest, a couple of old EX 19's on C/L and Facebook marketplace. Both have been offered for $400 and have been listed for a long time. Meaning more than a month. Actually more like 3 months. No action. I think anybody who knows about Excalibur saws probably already have some knowledge of the early saws and that parts are not available in most cases. So, if you really want to sell your saw quickly, I'd have to say put your price at less than $200. I'd be very surprised if you get $100 for it. Sorry. Sometimes you just have to go the "donation" route and write it off. 

1 hour ago, MarylandScroller said:

Thanks for your perspective, Ray!

I paid a few hundred for the saw, and then paid $150 for the upgraded Excalibur blade clamps.  Sounds like I would be lucky to recover the cost of the clamps.

Oh well, things are only worth what somebody is willing to pay for them. May I ask why you want to sell it? Are you giving up the hobby or buying a newer saw or ????? Just curious. If time is on your side, put it up for sale on the two spots I mentioned and sit back and wait. Be sure to post lots of pics and a good description of the saw. Pictures are what sells stuff. I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on C/L with great success. Pricing is the key. Start high enough so that you can come down but not too high to scare prospective buyers off. Figure out in your mind what would make you happy and go from there. It sounds like a great saw. Just old, like me.

Alan

Another thing you might think about is if you can't sell or it or don't want to mess with it, donate it to either a school or a local Boys/Girls club or a scroll saw group. 

8 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

May I ask why you want to sell it? Are you giving up the hobby or buying a newer saw or ????? Just curious. If time is on your side, put it up for sale on the two spots I mentioned and sit back and wait. Be sure to post lots of pics and a good description of the saw. Pictures are what sells stuff. I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on C/L with great success. Pricing is the key. Start high enough so that you can come down but not too high to scare prospective buyers off. Figure out in your mind what would make you happy and go from there. It sounds like a great saw. Just old, like me. Another thing you might think about is if you can't sell or it or don't want to mess with it, donate it to either a school or a local Boys/Girls club or a scroll saw group. 

I am selling the saw because I would like to replace it with a Pegas 16" scroll saw.  Its a bit smaller (I no longer have a dedicated shop) and has a few features that my Excalibur doesn't.

3 minutes ago, MarylandScroller said:

I am selling the saw because I would like to replace it with a Pegas 16" scroll saw.  Its a bit smaller (I no longer have a dedicated shop) and has a few features that my Excalibur doesn't.

You mean a Pegas 21" saw? Pegas only offers a 21" saw.. 

14 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

You mean a Pegas 21" saw? Pegas only offers a 21" saw.. 

It is true that Pegas doesn't offer a 16" saw in the US currently.  They do have a 16" model, the SCP16CE which they sell in many countries.  Bob Duncan, the Pegas (Grobet USA) National Sales Manager, indicated that they are trying to get the rights to sell this saw in the US, so I am hopeful.

If the 21" and 16" saws share the same stand, I guess the footprint would be the same, although the 21" would be 5" deeper.

My 19" saw seems somewhat "bulky" because the motor is separate and is located behind the saw, unlike the current designs, and the stand is not meant for the saw.

I sometimes need to share my 1-car garage with a car, so space is at a premium.

-Alan

Excalibur EX-19 Scrollsaw.jpg

2 hours ago, MarylandScroller said:

If the 21" and 16" saws share the same stand, I guess the footprint would be the same, although the 21" would be 5" deeper.

My 19" saw seems somewhat "bulky" because the motor is separate and is located behind the saw, unlike the current designs, and the stand is not meant for the saw.

I sometimes need to share my 1-car garage with a car, so space is at a premium.

-Alan

Excalibur EX-19 Scrollsaw.jpg

I'd build a new stand for your saw and relocate the motor under the saw. 

3 hours ago, JimErn said:

Interesting pic of the excaliber, looks like the head does not tilt, looks like the table tilts.

If that is the case anyone know what year the ex came out with the tilting head?

The EX-19 does have the tilting table.  I am not sure when the EX-21, with the tilting table, came out.  I do see references to an EX-19VS.   Not sure what the difference is between the VS and the regular EX-19 (variable speed?).  Mine has variable speed but you need to move a belt to different pulleys to change the speed.

6 minutes ago, MarylandScroller said:

The EX-19 does have the tilting table.  I am not sure when the EX-21, with the tilting table, came out.  I do see references to an EX-19VS.   Not sure what the difference is between the VS and the regular EX-19 (variable speed?).  Mine has variable speed but you need to move a belt to different pulleys to change the speed.

I believe VS is variable speed... Your saw isn't a "variable" speed. It's a 3-4-5 or whatever many pulley - speed  options it has.. variable would be the whole range of speeds.. I may be wrong but I don't think the tilting head came out until the current style saw design was made with the motor mounted to the saw body.. which I think was around 2003 ish

5 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I believe VS is variable speed... Your saw isn't a "variable" speed. It's a 3-4-5 or whatever many pulley - speed  options it has.. variable would be the whole range of speeds.. I may be wrong but I don't think the tilting head came out until the current style saw design was made with the motor mounted to the saw body.. which I think was around 2003 ish

I wonder if the tilting head design came about when they moved the manufacturing from Canada to Taiwan.  Today's 21 inch saw looks essentially like the original EX-21.

8 hours ago, MarylandScroller said:

I wonder if the tilting head design came about when they moved the manufacturing from Canada to Taiwan.  Today's 21 inch saw looks essentially like the original EX-21.

My Ex21 was made in Canada in 2010 and it has the tilting head. So does my Ex16 but it came from Taiwan.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Just for your information, this one has been on C/L for a long time. 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tls/d/san-diego-scroll-saw-heavy-duty/7076926500.html

The one in San Diego for $125 appears to be the same model as my saw. 

The EX-19VS saw in Santa Barbara is similar but has the variable speed.  $400 seems quite high for that saw.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by MarylandScroller

4 minutes ago, MarylandScroller said:

The one in San Diego for $125 appears to be the same model as my saw. 

The EX-19VS saw in Santa Barbara is similar but has the variable speed.  $400 seems quite high for that saw.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it is. I just bought my EX16 in like new condition in Santa Barbara for $200. I paid $250 for my EX21. Both steals. 

On 2/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, MarylandScroller said:

Alan

Actually, it turns out that my saw isn't an EX-19.  It is an EX-11, which apparently is an earlier version of the EX-19.  It has a 3-position pulley for speed changes.

1 hour ago, MarylandScroller said:

Actually, it turns out that my saw isn't an EX-19.  It is an EX-11, which apparently is an earlier version of the EX-19.  It has a 3-position pulley for speed changes.

It sounds like a "collectible" and should be put up on a shelf as a conversation piece. 

25 minutes ago, MarylandScroller said:

I would do that but apparently the shelf would cost more to build than the saw is worth 🙂

The shelf could be your first project on your new Pegas saw. Or at least the decorative portion of it. If that saw still is functional, it still has value. You just have to find the right situation for it. Somebody could use it I'm sure.