BBQ Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

bbqChallenge.png

Is it summer yet?  I can't tell because of the weather.  But that doesn't stop me form firing up the grill!  This month's challenge is about BBQ season!  Post your projects that are related to outdoor cooking and dining!  Signs, cutting boards, condiment holders, napkin rings, paper towel holders, grill scrapers, drink holders, or whatever!  

And while you're at it, tell us some of your favorite things to cook outdoors?  Better yet, have a recipe to share?  I wanna see them!   Lets turn this into an epic BBQ thread.  Pass the sauce!

While I don't have any project to show for, I do have a recipe to share. The link https://www.charbroil.com/learn/how-to-smoke-ribs-in-an-electric-smoker. The instructions say electric smoker, but I can tell you from first hand experience that following the temps in a charcoal grill will get the same results. Only thing is prior to wrapping the ribs, put some olive oil and honey on them, then wrap. Just thought I would share because who doesn't like grilling? 

3 hours ago, Fedido said:

While I don't have any project to show for, I do have a recipe to share. The link https://www.charbroil.com/learn/how-to-smoke-ribs-in-an-electric-smoker. The instructions say electric smoker, but I can tell you from first hand experience that following the temps in a charcoal grill will get the same results. Only thing is prior to wrapping the ribs, put some olive oil and honey on them, then wrap. Just thought I would share because who doesn't like grilling? 

Yup...3...2...1  ribs are mouth watering!! I  just did a half rack (just wife and I) yesterday on my Traeger. Used apple & Alder pellets, apple juice 4th & 5th hour (while wrapped) and finished with Sweet Baby Rey's original BBQ sauce last hour unwrapped. I run it at 180* first 3, then 225* rest of the time...low and slow baby!!

On 6/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, Fedido said:

Thanks for the recipe link.  Just ordered a smoker for hubby's 60th birthday.  Also ordered some hardwood pellets to go with it.  He has been asking for one for a few years now.  There will be a rack of ribs wrapped to go along with the gift!   I am certainly looking forward to his birthday!!  lol

These are pictures I took at Lake of the Woods in Ontario.  This is where I keep my boat and we are able to explore the thousands of bays and island.  Turned them into puzzles.  One of my favorite, very easy meals to do while out and about is a Steak Teriyaki recipe that was my mom's.  So--- for 2 pounds of thinly sliced beef (or chicken and I will use eye of round):  2/3 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup salad oil, 6 cloves minced garlic, 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (or 2 tsp dry ginger), 2 tsp dry mustard, 2 tbsp molasses.  Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl.  Add meat.  Let stand for 24 hours. (I usually put this in a "zip" bag).  Tips for the recipe.  if you are cutting the meat yourself, partially freeze the roast before cutting.  It is easier to cut very thin slices that way.  I will often portion the meat and marinade into smaller bags and then freeze. 

Serve with rice, a big salad and garlic toast.  Very easy to prep.  Very quick to cook, basically put on the grill, turn and serve!

20190425_073007.jpg

On 6/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, OzarkSawdust said:

Yup...3...2...1  ribs are mouth watering!! I  just did a half rack (just wife and I) yesterday on my Traeger. Used apple & Alder pellets, apple juice 4th & 5th hour (while wrapped) and finished with Sweet Baby Rey's original BBQ sauce last hour unwrapped. I run it at 180* first 3, then 225* rest of the time...low and slow baby!!

Wow that is some serious grilling, yummy

Here is a drink coaster I just finished. The pattern I used came from Scroller and I reduced it down to 40%. I did this as a test to see how it would come out. It is about 1/8" thick so I'm thinking if I do this again I will stack about 6(?). Next time I will pour in a small amount of color epoxy and let that set before finishing with all clear epoxy. I think I would also use water color paint to give the coral some color. A little lighter on the shark and it should be pretty good. Happy scrolling all … 

Shark coaster.jpg

20 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

These are pictures I took at Lake of the Woods in Ontario.  This is where I keep my boat and we are able to explore the thousands of bays and island.  Turned them into puzzles.  One of my favorite, very easy meals to do while out and about is a Steak Teriyaki recipe that was my mom's.  So--- for 2 pounds of thinly sliced beef (or chicken and I will use eye of round):  2/3 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup salad oil, 6 cloves minced garlic, 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (or 2 tsp dry ginger), 2 tsp dry mustard, 2 tbsp molasses.  Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl.  Add meat.  Let stand for 24 hours. (I usually put this in a "zip" bag).  Tips for the recipe.  if you are cutting the meat yourself, partially freeze the roast before cutting.  It is easier to cut very thin slices that way.  I will often portion the meat and marinade into smaller bags and then freeze. 

Serve with rice, a big salad and garlic toast.  Very easy to prep.  Very quick to cook, basically put on the grill, turn and serve!

20190425_073007.jpg

I love the puzzles, looks so hard to do.  Great job!

Well, I'd rather *eat* BBQ than scroll it, but every good BBQ needs a couple of things:  dragon coasters, paper towels, a table, and a hammock to relax in during/afterwards.  And for me....well...there's always books if I'm not scrollin'.

Flynn seems to make it into a lot of photos.  He's Dane/Bloodhound mix.

As for grub...well, I'm a burger-n-brats kind of guy, leaning more towards the brats side of the grill.  Found an amazing recipe for bacon-wrapped brats....basically, you cook the brats, then slice em open like a hot dog bun (keep the ends closed), jam them full of spicy mustard and shredded cheddar cheese, then use the universal kitchen duct tape (ie, bacon) to wrap them and keep them closed.  Throw back in the oven for an amount of temp and time I couldn't begin to tell you off the top of my head (I've burned cold cereal, so I'm generally only allowed in the kitchen during cleanup).  Pure frikkin bliss.

(recipes vary, but this'll give you an idea) https://www.stockpilingmoms.com/bacon-wrapped-cheese-stuffed-brats/

20180204_195210.jpg

20190427_193039.jpg

68544222_10217480309032852_1872098303554879488_n.jpg

20200617_205008.jpg

20200109_210201.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Travis unpinned this topic

I have a lovely tasting mushroom recipe but I will have to give you 2 recipes.

1st recipe doesnt use the barbeque but is needed for the second recipe.

get a saucer and put 2 table spoons of olive oil in it. Next crush a garlic clove and add to the olive oil. finally add about 10 olives and mix this around and serve as a Hors d'ouvre.

2nd recipe. when all of the olives have been eaten. Peel your mushrooms and put a melting cheese in side the mushroom cup. dip the bottom of the mushroom in the remaining olive oil and garlic mixture and pour a spot inside onto the cheese then place onto a barbeque until the cheese is melted

On 6/15/2020 at 12:38 PM, Fedido said:

I don,t like grilling, yeah me!!! My first experience lighting one is with lacquer thinner. Who Would have thought the fumes from the can would catch fire 3' away but it did and it made me stoubborn me did not listensqueeze the can and liquid came out all over my bare leg. Ended up burned pretty bad but lived to tell about it.My friend keep telling at me to jump in the pool.but stoubborn me did not listen.no doctor no hospital!!!