Hello from the East Coast of Central Florida

FrankEV

Born and raised on LINY and retired and relocated in 1996 to the Mountains of Western North Carolina and subsequently moved to Florida in 2014.  In NC I had a 24'x 32' fully equiped wood workshop where I did alot of wood turning and flatwork projects.  I had a scrollsaw in the shop but it did not see much uses as other woodworking projects kept me busy.  When I moved to Florida losing the wood shop broke my heart.  A few of the  major shop tools I did take with me was a rdial arm saw, a sanding station, a router table and the scrollsaw. I moved into a small duplex with no garage so most of the tools had to go into a rented storage unit until recently.  A few months ago I placed a concrete a slab and built (assembled) an 8' x 12' resin shed that I have made into my MINI woodshop.  Cannot do any large projects but a small work bench, a fold up contractors table saw, my sanding station and the scrollsaw at least got me back being able to do some woodworking...now mainly scrollsaw projects.  At least I'm making sawdust again!  

I'm also an advid motorcyclye rider so a few of my early projects relfected that subject.  I also made a desk sign that reflects my look on life.

Looking fowward to participating in this forum.     

Bar and shield finished.jpg

I Ride A Harley.jpg

open road therapy.jpg

the road rules.jpg

wind therapy.jpg

Grumpy old man.jpg

Another Tennessee welcome to the Village. Glad you have joined us and look forward to your participation. Nice projects you have crafted there. Glad you found a way to create a new mini shop and create some saw dust. It too can be good therapy for when you cannot be out on the open road on your bike.😉

6 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Frank when you were up here did you belong to the LIWWC?

No, did not get into woodworking until I retired in '96 and moved to NC and built my shop.  Worked for LILCO for 36 years and most of the time it was 6 days a week, so other hobbies came an went but woodworking was not one of them until I retired.  I did belong to the SCWWC for a while, but the trip to their facility in Greenville, SC was a little too far to make it practicle to be an active member.  They had a great place and it was nice to be able to buy wood through them.

Now, my age is creeping up on extinct, but I just needed something to keep me active.  I enjoy my MC but the heat and rain can keep me at home for days at a time, so I decided to jump back into making sadust even if it is only a dustpan full at a time.s

BTW, grew up In Babylon, moved to Bayport for 3 years after getting out of the service and getting maried, then moved to Hauppauge before excapeing South.  My daughter and Son-in-law still live in Mastic Beach whil my son had followed us down to NC and still lives there.

Probably more than you really wanted to know.😎

16 hours ago, FrankEV said:

BTW, grew up In Babylon, moved to Bayport for 3 years after getting out of the service and getting maried, then moved to Hauppauge before excapeing South.  My daughter and Son-in-law still live in Mastic Beach whil my son had followed us down to NC and still lives there.

Probably more than you really wanted to know.😎

Mastic beach is about 8 miles east of me. 

On 8/3/2020 at 9:39 PM, Rockytime said:

Welcome from the middle of Colorado. I appreciate your love of bikes. When I was 16 I had a 1938 knucklehead Harley. That is when my mother's hair began to turn grey. I had to put down riding when I was 79. Sad day! 

At age 76 and over 40 years since I last rode, I returned to riding in '17 when I bought a new Harley Heritage Softail. In '19 I upgraded to a Harley Bagger (Street Glide). Just turned 78 and hope to be riding for a while yet.  You know they say: "You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because You stop riding".

On 8/3/2020 at 8:41 PM, amazingkevin said:

Already your acklamated to SSV!!! You,LL fit in like a glove here. World wide members chime in daily so jump on in and make some scrolling friends.look what you can make on the scroll saw. This one took me  the better part of 4days. No hurry just didn't want any  mistakes. Welcome friend!!!

Screenshot_20200728-153733.png

NICE WORK-GREAT SUBJECT.

I'm lucky if I can scroll a few hour in the early morning.  My mini workshop is not air conditioned and it gets unbearably hot these days here in Florida. A project like that would take me forever! 😜 

On 8/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, FrankEV said:

... A few months ago I placed a concrete a slab and built (assembled) an 8' x 12' resin shed that I have made into my MINI woodshop...

Just thought I'd follow up with a pic of my MINI workshop that I had mentioned previously.  Also, to let you know that I have also purchased a Pegus Scrollsaw from Denny Knappen (Artcrafters) that should be arriving in about a week that will replace the Porter Cable Scrollsaw I'm currently using that I had purchased from Lowes a while ago.  Knowing that good tools can help me do better work it was a no brainer.  It is only my childrens inheritance I'm spending.

mini shop.JPG

Welcome, I am new to. Been working wood since age 25, when i got married 1st time. Made cabinets, furniture. Then the last 15 years switched to woodturning in a effort to scale back, and stop the back bending work. That is why i am going to take up scrolling and wood burning . My shop is in the basement, cool in summer and warm in winter. I will be 76 before the year ends, so i move slower. I am interested in inlay cutting, i thought that would be neat to apply to some boxes i make now and again. Maybe you can rig up some kind of AC for your shop so you can play longer.  Regards  Carl

I am new on this site. I live in Clearwater, Fl. Been here since 1981. I purchased a used De Walt 10 yrs ago and have scrolling since.

I did have it rebuilt just after i bought it  its been very good to me. I enjoy the different post on this site it always interesting to see what other scrollers are doing.

The workmanship i have viewed is amazing.

There seems to be a relaxing feeling when i am busy scrolling.

For fathers day i received a new scroll saw  machine that has not lived up to my expectations.

On 8/5/2020 at 4:21 PM, FrankEV said:

NICE WORK-GREAT SUBJECT.

I'm lucky if I can scroll a few hour in the early morning.  My mini workshop is not air conditioned and it gets unbearably hot these days here in Florida. A project like that would take me forever! 😜 

Lol, I,m south of you and the heat,s here too!. They do sell a ceramic paint you can paint your shed walls and ceiling outside any color and heat cannot go thru it.If that will help you!20 years ago it was just over $120 a five gal.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:22 PM, FrankEV said:

Just thought I'd follow up with a pic of my MINI workshop that I had mentioned previously.  Also, to let you know that I have also purchased a Pegus Scrollsaw from Denny Knappen (Artcrafters) that should be arriving in about a week that will replace the Porter Cable Scrollsaw I'm currently using that I had purchased from Lowes a while ago.  Knowing that good tools can help me do better work it was a no brainer.  It is only my childrens inheritance I'm spending.

mini shop.JPG

Very nice comfortable hidaway,!!!