pin vise

Wichman

I have a pin vise, looks like a miniature drill chuck. I've used it in the past without any problems, but now it won't hold a small (less than 1/16th) dill bit straight. It will hold larger bits straight but not the small ones.

So, two questions:

1. can I fix it

2. whats a good brand name for a replacement/second?

On 9/12/2020 at 5:16 AM, NC Scroller said:

I put a Jacob's Chuck in my drill press.  I believe it is a #32.  It is a key type chuck.  It hold everything from 0 to 3/8" so no need for a pin vise or any other adaptor. 

I found a Jacobs chuck on A, 0 to 1/8; $335. I only paid $100 for the drill press.

I just use my Dremel that I have had for umteen years. One of the best little tools around for drilling tiny holes up to 1/8" and a multitude of other things like sanding, shaping, cutting etc. The accessories for it are endless. Worth the investment many times over.

Edited by ben2008

On 9/13/2020 at 10:45 PM, Wichman said:

It appears that the plate that the threaded rod goes through to tighten the chuck jaws is damaged, I have ordered a new pin vise from Amazon. Also got a collet set for the Dremel that will clamp the bits as a stop gap.

Dremel makes a small chuck that replaces the annoying collets.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Multi-Pro-Tool-Chuck/1002626660

11 hours ago, Rolf said:

Dremel makes a small chuck that replaces the annoying collets.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Multi-Pro-Tool-Chuck/1002626660

I checked the HD website and it showed the local store had two. The store did not have two, it did not even have a slot for the item. I talked with a member of management that I know outside of HD and he started complaining to me about how bad the website/store products interface is.

11 hours ago, Wichman said:

I checked the HD website and it showed the local store had two. The store did not have two, it did not even have a slot for the item. I talked with a member of management that I know outside of HD and he started complaining to me about how bad the website/store products interface is.

Their inventory system is terrible. I have learned that you have to go look yourself. Lowes is better but still has issues.

18 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I bought one those Rolf. Solves the dilemma nicely.

I third that.  I needed to use those very very small bits, and this chuck is pretty painless.  I've been using since Nov 2018 without any issues.  I'm thinking Dremel should toss one of these in with the higher end dremels they sell, though they are pretty cheap.

Edited by hotshot