Twitter login??????

OCtoolguy

I have a twitter but I used a different browser that I wasn't logged in on and it worked for me just fine.. I'm not a very big twitter or FB enthusiast.. If I want to look at unbiased unfiltered content I use Clapper or Parlor.. Not sure if you can get it on a PC.. I use them on my phone.. 

10 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

I use Parler as well, it is accessible by browser (I use firefox)

Ray, are you being asked to login to twitter when you visit this site?

Yes. A new login screen keeps coming up and gives me the option of logging in through Twitter or cancelling and going in through the regular portal. To me, it's intrusive. I don't need more choices in my short life span. I do use FB for many reasons but I have never used my Twitter account. In fact, I don't know why I have one. I'll give the others a try. Not sure why I need any of them. I have located many old friends and relatives through FB. That's really the only reason I have it.

I don't like or use the log in features these websites have for logging in.. just give me a username and password.. What it is, is instead of remembering a million usernames and passwords they'll log you in through FB Twitter, etc etc... that's just not my style.. and while it may or may not be shared with FB and these other places but I don't like giving FB and other social sites forum etc any more info on where I am online.. They can search for me if they want to and find me.. I'm not filling in all those gaps for them to make it easier for them if they want to track me in some way then they can work for the info, LOL... Should be easy for them.. All computers and service providers have a address and is most often shown to websites etc anyway..

I will say Amazon is doing it right... my login on there requires a two step process.. log in with name & password.. they send a text code.. then enter the code.. Etsy and other places are using the FB twitter etc log ins.. just seems to easy for a hacker to gain access to me having this kind of set up.. but maybe I'm old fashion.. I'll memorize the 100 forum logins and passwords before I give that info to ( especially ) FB and Twitter.. That's like just giving your info to the hacker themselves in my opinion, LOL especially as often as FB accounts seem to always get hacked.. Like sure.. let me log into my bank through FB,, DUH.. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I don't like or use the log in features these websites have for logging in.. just give me a username and password.. What it is, is instead of remembering a million usernames and passwords they'll log you in through FB Twitter, etc etc... that's just not my style.. and while it may or may not be shared with FB and these other places but I don't like giving FB and other social sites forum etc any more info on where I am online.. They can search for me if they want to and find me.. I'm not filling in all those gaps for them to make it easier for them if they want to track me in some way then they can work for the info, LOL... Should be easy for them.. All computers and service providers have a address and is most often shown to websites etc anyway..

I will say Amazon is doing it right... my login on there requires a two step process.. log in with name & password.. they send a text code.. then enter the code.. Etsy and other places are using the FB twitter etc log ins.. just seems to easy for a hacker to gain access to me having this kind of set up.. but maybe I'm old fashion.. I'll memorize the 100 forum logins and passwords before I give that info to ( especially ) FB and Twitter.. That's like just giving your info to the hacker themselves in my opinion, LOL especially as often as FB accounts seem to always get hacked.. Like sure.. let me log into my bank through FB,, DUH.. 

Most websites, including etsy don't actually require the usage of FB or Twit - you can always use your own email address which is what I do.

In addition, you don't have to remember all the pwords and id's for the sites. There are programs called Password Managers that will maintain them for you. Available on PC, Mac and phones. They are not hackable (unless you share their pword) and very useful. I use one and store over 200 pwords and Id's.

I do agree with you Kevin, I refuse to give/share my information with any site. I will give them basic info, but that's it.

Which also why I NEVER use Goog or Bng - they both track your computer. I use exclusively DuckDuckGo which does not track or cookie browsers and has several addons that block popups, ads and all the rest of the garbage many sites inflict on users.

Sorry for the rant, but it burns my butt.

Besides, all these so called pword protection services the tech companies want you to use are a farce! Fake security that you don't need! Just as anti virus software is also a scam!

Ok, getting off my soap box - my apologies

28 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

Most websites, including etsy don't actually require the usage of FB or Twit - you can always use your own email address which is what I do.

In addition, you don't have to remember all the pwords and id's for the sites. There are programs called Password Managers that will maintain them for you. Available on PC, Mac and phones. They are not hackable (unless you share their pword) and very useful. I use one and store over 200 pwords and Id's.

I do agree with you Kevin, I refuse to give/share my information with any site. I will give them basic info, but that's it.

Which also why I NEVER use Goog or Bng - they both track your computer. I use exclusively DuckDuckGo which does not track or cookie browsers and has several addons that block popups, ads and all the rest of the garbage many sites inflict on users.

Sorry for the rant, but it burns my butt.

Besides, all these so called pword protection services the tech companies want you to use are a farce! Fake security that you don't need! Just as anti virus software is also a scam!

Ok, getting off my soap box - my apologies

No apologies needed for me, I love this kind of talk..

As for Etsy and the likes login.. I know you can login via username and password ( how I do it ) BUT what gets me is... WHY would they offer such a thing? Being a seller there.. I have banking info and all sorts of info ( Tax info etc etc.. and it's linked to my banks so i can get my money from my selling etc.. )  with my business account there... and to me.. third party login ( especially FB and Twitter ) shouldn't even be an option... at least for sellers.. Like I said...my Amazon seller account requires 2 step login like I described in my last reply.. I think it's a pretty dumb idea to login to banks and business accounts via third party login like FB and Twitter... just asking for trouble there in my opinion.. I can understand if you wanted to use it for forums and things like that I suppose.. I don't do it.. but I just don't think it should be even offered on selling sites etc.. where you have sensitive info 

9 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

No apologies needed for me, I love this kind of talk..

As for Etsy and the likes login.. I know you can login via username and password ( how I do it ) BUT what gets me is... WHY would they offer such a thing? Being a seller there.. I have banking info and all sorts of info ( Tax info etc etc.. and it's linked to my banks so i can get my money from my selling etc.. )  with my business account there... and to me.. third party login ( especially FB and Twitter ) shouldn't even be an option... at least for sellers.. Like I said...my Amazon seller account requires 2 step login like I described in my last reply.. I think it's a pretty dumb idea to login to banks and business accounts via third party login like FB and Twitter... just asking for trouble there in my opinion.. I can understand if you wanted to use it for forums and things like that I suppose.. I don't do it.. but I just don't think it should be even offered on selling sites etc.. where you have sensitive info 

Agreed - they do it because not everyone, if fact most do not know how to protect themselves and have no problem sharing their personal information.

Here's a prime example: Millennials have no qualms about using their phones for everything, banking included, I doubt most even have a computer opting more for their phone and an Xbox!

I personally wouldn't even consider using my phone for banking. The reason being the phone is by far the easiest device to hack, track and steal personal information.

I do banking online (actually I allow the wife to with my precautions in place) but only on our home computers. I do have square up attached to one of our bank accounts, but it's an account specifically used for our new vendor event business only. Any hacking will at most get $50 bucks or so

Edited by new2woodwrk

Ok, it's morning and I just tried to log in to SSV. Here is a screen shot of what I see upon trying to log in. I have to click on 'cancel" and then find the actual log in link on the right side. I want to know what is going on and who is responsible for it. Thanks for your patience.

2020-10-19_11-06-01.png

6 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Ray, Are you logging in on a PC or phone?

Doesn't it auto log you in?

I'm using my pc. I use Roboform as my password keeper. Once logged in to it, allI have to do is click on the login I want, in the case SSV, and it goes there and fills in the i d. & pw. But all of a sudde, 3-4 days ago, this Twitter crap came up and was giving me the choice as shown. None of the regular fields were there so my pw keeper couldn't fill any in. So it was confused. As am I. Maybe @Travis can solve this. 

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I'm using my pc. I use Roboform as my password keeper. Once logged in to it, allI have to do is click on the login I want, in the case SSV, and it goes there and fills in the i d. & pw. But all of a sudde, 3-4 days ago, this Twitter crap came up and was giving me the choice as shown. None of the regular fields were there so my pw keeper couldn't fill any in. So it was confused. As am I. Maybe @Travis can solve this. 

Ray

Have you tried clearing your cookies?

I use my PC for every thing. Banking, ordering online, bill paying, email, webmaster of my own website (12 years) using the old Microsoft FrontPage for e commerce, PayPal. In 25 years online I have never had one issue. I never use my cell phone for anything, except to talk. Oh, lots of irritating things have popped up, but I managed to figure it out. Never ever, give personal info to anyone you don't know. Scams are everywhere, don't fall for them. Do your homework. I no longer answer the phone unless I am expecting a phone call. If you can't leave a message, I don't want to talk to you period.

Clearing cookies is a good idea.. I went to the cupboard and it appears they've already been cleared.... dang it.. 😂

I take it you all don't just click to stay logged in.. man that'd drive me nuts to login every day... I don't use any password keepers.. other than my brain.. Actually never gave it much thought to use one.. Windows pops up and ask to remember them.. I do that only on sites that are just forums and whatnot.. where I don't really have any real info to worry about.. They say hackers can hack the windows password keeper and get access to all your passwords and logins.. so I only use my brain...

14 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Clearing cookies is a good idea.. I went to the cupboard and it appears they've already been cleared.... dang it.. 😂

I take it you all don't just click to stay logged in.. man that'd drive me nuts to login every day... I don't use any password keepers.. other than my brain.. Actually never gave it much thought to use one.. Windows pops up and ask to remember them.. I do that only on sites that are just forums and whatnot.. where I don't really have any real info to worry about.. They say hackers can hack the windows password keeper and get access to all your passwords and logins.. so I only use my brain...

I don't understand why you need to memorize all those  login IDs and passwords. Nearly every website i frequent has a feature "remember me". I use it all the time for the websites I frequent. Never had a problem in all my years online. I use it for banking, e commerce, bill paying, etc. Works for me.

I forgot to add in my posting above I do not have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or any social median. Email for my family and friends is all I need. That's just me and 25 years of experience online. I understand you sell online. You have a different situation than mine. 

18 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Agreed, I stay logged in to any site I visit often.

As to hackers... Fake news. In order for that to happen, a hacker has to know you are there and has to find you. Which means they are scanning your ISP for back doors hoping to find one they can hack through. This requires a program to be running for their scan to find, or they're doing it manually in which case they are amateurs LOL

Another way to get in is if you visit a disreputable site that has a phishing virus, which are easily avoided with an add in for a browser. I use Noscript for firefox which blocks every script on a site and only the ones I allow, will run on the site. Stops all virus and phishing scams

Real hackers tend to be more interested in picking a single, well financed target rather than thousands of little targets with little to no value. Little targets take a lot of time to gain any financial benefit. If they are in it just for harassment sake, again they are amateurs playing around.

The ones that go after small single targets are the "prince" and "Dearest Heart" email idiots hoping you'll send them $1000 in exchange for them sending you $100,000 on Wednesday! Believe it or not, this one is the most profitable as there are so many people that fall for this garbage.

A few weeks back there was a big "scare" about Ring doorbell videos being hacked. Real amateur stuff. A neighbor found an unprotected network, entered and used it to scare the people and kids in the house.

Think about it: You have a food shopping list with 20 items. When you go shopping, do you go to 20 different stores to buy the items, or do you go to one place to get everything? Same logic applies.

Oh my, longer than I thought LOL

Sorry for the soap box rant... yet again 😞

4 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Agreed, I stay logged in to any site I visit often.

As to hackers... Fake news. In order for that to happen, a hacker has to know you are there and has to find you. Which means they are scanning your ISP for back doors hoping to find one they can hack through. This requires a program to be running for their scan to find, or they're doing it manually in which case they are amateurs LOL

Another way to get in is if you visit a disreputable site that has a phishing virus, which are easily avoided with an add in for a browser. I use Noscript for firefox which blocks every script on a site and only the ones I allow, will run on the site. Stops all virus and phishing scams

Real hackers tend to be more interested in picking a single, well financed target rather than thousands of little targets with little to no value. Little targets take a lot of time to gain any financial benefit. If they are in it just for harassment sake, again they are amateurs playing around.

The ones that go after small single targets are the "prince" and "Dearest Heart" email idiots hoping you'll send them $1000 in exchange for them sending you $100,000 on Wednesday! Believe it or not, this one is the most profitable as there are so many people that fall for this garbage.

A few weeks back there was a big "scare" about Ring doorbell videos being hacked. Real amateur stuff. A neighbor found an unprotected network, entered and used it to scare the people and kids in the house.

Think about it: You have a food shopping list with 20 items. When you go shopping, do you go to 20 different stores to buy the items, or do you go to one place to get everything? Same logic applies.

Oh my, longer than I thought LOL

Sorry for the soap box rant... yet again 😞

Like to hear others thoughts on these types of subjects..

My son is in his second year of computer networking class at a local career center where the high school kids go.. Last year ( his first year ) he signed up to do these competitions and he ranked in the top 100 in the world.. including the military... I know a little about internet security but if I don't, I know who to ask, LOL The one competition he is in is called cyber patriots.. I can't think of the other competition now but anyway.. his teacher is very impressed with him.. Funny but last year the teacher gave the kids permission to "TRY" to hack his computer in class.. my son not only hacked his computer.. but hacked the schools server and messed with the whole schools system.. he thought it was funny because the school was supposed to be a secure system.. he didn't get in trouble because he didn't cause any trouble.. in fact they thanked him for finding the security threat in the schools system, LOL

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I did that recently and this cropped up afterwards. I'll do it again. I also deleted my Twitter account. I have no idea why I ever had it anyway. Useless!

Ray, Just curious.. not sure what browser you use.. but have you tried a different browser to see if the same thing happens? I'm wondering if this is some sort of setting that has been changed or something.. I always stay logged in but I went to Microsoft Edge and tried logging in.. I didn't get this type of login screen.. I did have a option to login via FB / Twitter or just manually but I didn't get that annoying screen..

I keep a few different browsers on my PC so I can see how my website looks on different browsers.. I normally use Chrome but have Firefox and Edge too.. sometimes each browser will act or look different from each other.. 

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Ray, Just curious.. not sure what browser you use.. but have you tried a different browser to see if the same thing happens? I'm wondering if this is some sort of setting that has been changed or something.. I always stay logged in but I went to Microsoft Edge and tried logging in.. I didn't get this type of login screen.. I did have a option to login via FB / Twitter or just manually but I didn't get that annoying screen..

I keep a few different browsers on my PC so I can see how my website looks on different browsers.. I normally use Chrome but have Firefox and Edge too.. sometimes each browser will act or look different from each other.. 

I use Opera. I haven't tried logging in with either Chrome or Firefox. I think it was JimErn who put me onto Opera and I really like it. This is a problem that has just cropped up over the last few days. Now that I've deleted my Twitter account, we'll see what happens. I am also going to dump my "cookies". Why does that sound strange. I don't drink so I haven't tossed my cookies in years. Oh well..........

5 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I use Opera. I haven't tried logging in with either Chrome or Firefox. I think it was JimErn who put me onto Opera and I really like it. This is a problem that has just cropped up over the last few days. Now that I've deleted my Twitter account, we'll see what happens. I am also going to dump my "cookies". Why does that sound strange. I don't drink so I haven't tossed my cookies in years. Oh well..........

Man I vaguely remember those days. 😀🤮🤕

I think you may have linked SSV and FB at some point.  I'm not sure why it's asking for authorization again, though.  Maybe they're just making sure?  I haven't had anybody else report it, so I can't imagine they'd make everyone do it.  Maybe your FB password changed,  or you changed your FB preferences?  Not sure.  I'll keep an eye on it.  I'll be updating the SSV software soon, so maybe that will fix it.  FB is always changing their stuff, which is probably good.