Delta 40-560

Joe W.

Greetings from Delaware,

This will be a bit wordy but I wanted to provide as much information as possible to reduce the number of follow-up questions, so grab your favorite beverage before sitting down to read this. 
 I joined the forum a few weeks ago and have been gorging myself on the wealth of information here. And thank you to the forum owner and all of you who share your experience and knowledge in my quest to master this artform.   I am new to scrolling, having acquired a 16inch 2 speed Delta 40-560 (Type 2) from my father-in-law.  He got it from a neighbor who was clearing out his garage several years ago. My father-in-law had it in his garage for a few years since then and never used it.  Once home, I read the 3-1-1990 instruction manual, got a pack of blades from Lowes, plugged it, said a prayer, and hit the switch.
The low speed didn’t work at first, but the high speed was just fine.  So I cut a piece scrap wood and instantly found a new hobby (read passion).  However . . .
A few minutes into playing with it, the blade broke and a little black thing flew out from the upper arm near where the top blade clamp is.  From the schematic (see below) and replacement parts list that came with the machine it look like it is a Grommet (Part Number 1343631).  I just ordered one from the replacement parts website and it should be here in a few days.  Now, here’s where I ask for help. . . .
Where does it go? 
Looking at the schematic, it looks to me that it fits between the Upper Arm w/bushing and the Blade Support. 
And if that is correct, how do I put it there??  As in, do I need to disassemble those parts to put the grommet there or do I just jam it in and hope it stays there?
The saga continues – The outside of the machine looks in pretty good shape considering its age.  I did put some 0000 steel wool to the table and waxed it.  The table insert had a little saw cut in it, so I filed it down so the wood doesn’t catch on it.  And then I took the side cover off and discovered 4 mud dauber nests inside the support.  Got rid of them and then oiled screws, bushings, and everything else that looked like it needed it. 
Moved on to the low speed switch setting and got that to working – I think the inside wiring connection was loose (By the way:  good tip in the forum about covering the switch to keep dust out).
I cut a couple more practice pieces after that and the saw seems to be working fine.  But then I remembered the grommet and thought maybe I shouldn’t be using the saw until I get that replaced. 
So, I’m hoping there is an old-timer out there who can shed some light on my problem.  I use the term old-timer because, based on the majority of discontinued parts I see on the replacement.com website, I doubt there are few, if anyone, out there still using this machine.  While the machine seems to be working well, I feel like its days are numbered based on its age and the availability of parts.  And, if I know me like I think I know me, I’m pretty sure I will move on to a newer, better designed machine soon (changing blades with this one is a pain in the butt).
In closing, if you have any suggestions for maintenance on this machine, I am all ears and welcome your thoughts.  Thanks  for reading and have a good one. 

delta 40-560 grommet question.jpg

I rebuilt one of these saws back in / around 2005.. I still have the saw but haven't used it in years.. I think the part you're referring to is like a rubber washer.. I cannot remember where exactly it goes.. so I'll look my saw over and reply back later.. unless someone beats me to it.. If I remember correctly it didn't seem like I had to take anything off to put this piece in.. and the saw will work without it but it will vibrate pretty good on the high speed setting.. It's only used as a damper 

If you are referring to part #32... unscrew the tension knob #29 and push down on the blade holder #33. That grommet will sit on top of part #33 & act as a shock absorber for the upper arm # 31 & #33. As you tighten the tension knob the two parts, 31 & 33, close and will hold it in place.

In the schematic you posted there is a bolt not numbered but is shown just above the #37. The upper & lower arms pivot on these bolts and the arms contain brass bushings that ride on the bolts. This is a key location for lubrication. You can release the tension on the blade and remove these bolts one at a time. I use an ear swab dipped in 10/40 motor oil & rub a good coat on the brass in the arm. Be careful not to over tighten the bolt, it is threaded into cast metal.

These are good saws to start out on and and gain some experience. 

Thank you all for responding. 

Your information and comments are appreciated and I look forward to receiving the grommet and installing the grommet in the Delta and giving this machine some TLC with the 10/40 motor oil. 

May all your cuts never verve off the lines.     

• 1 year later...

You can view it here for free or you can purchase one on ebay.. Not sure if you'll be able to read it since I think the prints I found are maybe only in English but maybe pictures will help you..

https://www.mikestools.com/ownersmanuals/DeltaScrollSaws/40-540.pdf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185292373532