FrankEV

46 minutes ago, flarud said:

... not real fond of the background that you used....

The background is just the un-stained Poplar finished with poly.  Poplar is not a very pretty wood and was only used as it wsa all that I could find localy,  Did not want to use Pine and Oak was too coatly to experiment with.  Wasn't sure it was going to come out even as well as it did. 

Think I'll shoot another pic tomorrow with differet lighting to see if I can improve the view of the frame. 

Frank, it is with great pleasure that I have the opportunity to say CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first carved fretwork Eagle.  Eagles are one of my favorite subjects also.  It was a pleasure working with you on this project because you studied and evaluated your pattern prior to starting, made plans for scroll cutting and carving ahead of time, and followed instructions for power carving and for color staining and finishing.  Great job on the eye and beak. I couldn't ask for a more dedicated "student".  Job well done!!!  👍👍👍

7 hours ago, FrankEV said:

This Sculptured Fretwork portrait of an Eagle Bust (my go to subject) was made from a slightly modified and resized pattern by G&K Woodworking to suit an 11” x 14” panel. 

I used nominal 1” x 12” Poplar purchased a Lowes as I did not want to invest a lot of money for any expensive wood as this was my first attempt at doing a sculptured portrait.  The fretwork was cut using Pegas #1 Spiral blades and the panel was affixed to a painted Black 1/4” thick BB Ply Backer after sculpturing and coloring was completed. 

I would like to take this opportunity to give a big THANK YOU to Dick Mira for sharing information regarding the sculpturing and coloring process.   I was his support and encouragement that gave me the confidence to try this kind of project.

This first attempt was a very big learning experience.  The first lesson learned is that the choice for an appropriate pattern is very important.  Since I'm not capable of making my own patterns I need to utilize those made by others, and since most are not made with sculpturing in mind they may often need to be modified somewhat.   I quickly learned that the sculpturing process is not easy, requires a lot of attention to details and a lot of hand sanding.  I also learned that the sculpturing and painting process is very time consuming, especially waiting for the finishing materials to dry in between coats.

I also made a custom Poplar Frame embellished with some premade decorative trim.  The frame was stained with Minwax Red Mahogany and the trim colored with a light coat of gold(ish) colored paint.  The frame is protected with multiple coats of Wipe-On-Poly.

1812316598_EagleHead-GKWoodworks.thumb.jpg.d21beae24842a23a3b433c72c3cd5f1f.jpg

You nailed this pro was the first time out. Great job.  I expect to see a lot more of this newly discovered art.  My hat is off to you 

I am not an expert. So take my observations as my way of my learning.  I tap and zoom into the picture and I can see the gold hilights on the frame on the beads.  This takes a lot of patience and steady hands. 

The feather texture i can see the carvings around the edge of the head.  This seams like the pet bird I had.  So you caught the texture pretty well.

The dark feathers on chest seem to be the hardest.   I was thinking how would I capture this.  I have no clue.  Now that I answered my question, I zoomed out and looked at the whole scene. I seems like you captured pretty good.  The shoulders do have contours and that enhances the portrait really well. 

Maybe the background wood could be lightly blue washed for getting the viewer to think sky.  

The black backing is the best to capture the 2 tone dark feather areas.  It also captures the twisting of the white neck feathers.

I like like it.  

5 hours ago, preprius said:

...The dark feathers on chest seem to be the hardest.   I was thinking how would I capture this.  I have no clue.  ...

Maybe the background wood could be lightly blue washed for getting the viewer to think sky ...

Thank you for all you comments. 

As I mentioned in the original post, the choice of Pattern is key to a good sculpture subject.  In thjis case I found the dark feather area of this pattern did not depict the Eagle Body Fethers well.  In the simple B&W photo pattern file, the overall pattern looked good and I only realized the poor representation of the fethers after the cutting was complete (Part of lessons being learned) as I was trying to add details to make it more realalistic.

I was so focused on the sculpturing and coloring of the bust that I did not address the background - orther than trying to remove a lot of sculpturing marks left from the lowering process and present a smoooth surface.  I do like your suggestionto to use a blue coloration to represent sky. It is still possible to add color to the background and I'm seriously considersing doimg so. 

Again, thank you, I appreciate the suggestions and comments.  Great way to learn.  

1 hour ago, amazingkevin said:

And I was saving up to buy your carving tools you never used, then I no sooner turn around and here you go with this beautiful piece Right out of the box with them!!!

This work is using power carving tools with a Dremel or the like.  My carving chisels are still available if you are interested.