Marquetry

Scrappile

Ray he is useing the double bevel method as you can see the table tilted at about 2:23 on the video, it is hard to see but I have the full length video and it shows a lot more than the clip I posted. Silas does some really cool 3-D works that are totally different from most marquetry, If you google his name you can bring up some of his works. 

19 hours ago, rustynail said:

Ray he is useing the double bevel method as you can see the table tilted at about 2:23 on the video, it is hard to see but I have the full length video and it shows a lot more than the clip I posted. Silas does some really cool 3-D works that are totally different from most marquetry, If you google his name you can bring up some of his works. 

@rustynail, I will, and thanks again. Where can I find the full length video? I can't find it on youtube.

Edited by octoolguy

On 2/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, Scrappile said:

I'm sorta hoping there will be enough interest here that I could request Travis add it as a forum option.. not so far but maybe..  

@rustynail,  I have looked a many plans of Chevalets, and would love to build one,,,, just to build one... but I do not have the room... That is why I am really, I think, in the double bevel marquetry.... I have scroll saw... But "come'n man" there is so much neat marquetry stuff out here...

Thanks for all the input so far... checking it all out...

Paul, I agree, marquetry should have it's own separate forum. I'm seeing a lot of interest on the subject and if enough of us are interested maybe we can get some tutorials or videos going on the site. All of a sudden, I've got my interest in marquetry renewed. I recall now why and how I got here in the first place.

Well,,,, I've been watching video and, ah, I don't know... It is easy to glue a pattern to a piece of wood and leave the white,,, cut out the black... Marquetry is much more involved... The cutting looks like it would be the easiest part after figuring out wood color, grain direction, over or under, trace, shape, shadow...etc. Just watching the videos wears out my old brain... I was going to order the videos and books talked about on here,,, but it has to wait. Too many unexpected bills this month.  I have them bookmarked..  I could not find a lot on the "packet" method...

Edited by Scrappile

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

@rustynail, I will, and thanks again. Where can I find the full length video? I can't find it on youtube.

Ray here is his web site https://silaskopf.com/   but I don't think the video is available any more, truthfully the Paul Schurch one I post above is a lot more informative and is basically a teaching tutorial from a start to finish presentation including how to work with veneers and glueing them down, but if your looking for a good teaching video on how to do the DB method I not sure what one would be the best? I am not sure but I think Mark Adams may have one out on the market. Mark always puts out good material.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Also wondering,,, has anyone ordered a marquetry kit?  I have been looking at them and wonder if would you learn much from doing one.

Paul, I bought one from Ken Cowell when I took his class. I still have it on my bench because I got sidetracked but now, with the renewed interest, I'll get to it for sure. I also bought his tool kit because it everything in it that we used in the class. Since then, I have acquired more and better ways to do the same job. Drills, bits, knives etc. The big reason for buying the kit is is included all the correct veneers that were needed for the flower that I was going to create. After watching the video that Rustynail posted, it looks a lot easier than the method I learned. Much less precise with better outcome. 

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Paul, I bought one from Ken Cowell when I took his class. I still have it on my bench because I got sidetracked but now, with the renewed interest, I'll get to it for sure. I also bought his tool kit because it everything in it that we used in the class. Since then, I have acquired more and better ways to do the same job. Drills, bits, knives etc. The big reason for buying the kit is is included all the correct veneers that were needed for the flower that I was going to create. After watching the video that Rustynail posted, it looks a lot easier than the method I learned. Much less precise with better outcome. 

Ray can I ask what is all included in Ken Cowell tool kit?

Thanks Richard

17 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Also wondering,,, has anyone ordered a marquetry kit?  I have been looking at them and wonder if would you learn much from doing one.

I did ordered some marquetry kits at least 15 years ago which consists of the solid oak board with the design printed on it and then all the different colours of veneer to cut and glue to the oak board. Also I noticed that there is still some kits available on Etsy. Here is a couple of kits that I did.

17083B86-A54D-4E89-BF7D-2A4EB54FF797.jpeg

F70D2AC6-3631-4C7D-BE14-EFA4DBFBBC21.jpeg

2 hours ago, rjweb said:

Has anyone found any marquetry forums to join, I know we are trying to get something going here but was looking elsewhere also, and not much on YouTube either, thx RJ 

There is suppose to be one here... I do not know how active it is, I am not currently a member..

https://americanmarquetrysociety.org/content.aspx?page_id=60&club_id=381939

20 hours ago, rustynail said:

Ray can I ask what is all included in Ken Cowell tool kit?

Thanks Richard

I'm going from memory but if I recall, it had an angle gauge, an xacto knife, a spiral pin vise, some carbon paper, a drill bit, a couple of blades and that's all I can recall, just sitting here. I'll mosey out to the shop and have a look in a bit. It was about $25 for what was there. Not a great deal but easy at the time to buy it rather than have to hunt down all the items. Knowing what I know now, I'd not buy it. He was just making it easy to get started and cover his cost. Maybe make a couple of bucks. If there is anything important that I left out, I'll add it to this post.

Ok, I went out and checked the contents of the kit. Obviously I've used a couple of things out of the kit, the saw blades are gone and so is the carbon paper. But here is a pic of everything else. The tweezers are included because Ken taught us how to use hot sand for shading and you need tweezers for that. And in the pin vise there is a tiny counter sink bit for opening the holes on the back side of the wood after drilling. All for $25.

20210211_150628.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

2 hours ago, scrollerpete said:

I did ordered some marquetry kits at least 15 years ago which consists of the solid oak board with the design printed on it and then all the different colours of veneer to cut and glue to the oak board. Also I noticed that there is still some kits available on Etsy. Here is a couple of kits that I did.

Very well done. Thanks for posting.

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I'm going from memory but if I recall, it had an angle gauge, an xacto knife, a spiral pin vise, some carbon paper, a drill bit, a couple of blades and that's all I can recall, just sitting here. I'll mosey out to the shop and have a look in a bit. It was about $25 for what was there. Not a great deal but easy at the time to buy it rather than have to hunt down all the items. Knowing what I know now, I'd not buy it. He was just making it easy to get started and cover his cost. Maybe make a couple of bucks. If there is anything important that I left out, I'll add it to this post.

Ok, I went out and checked the contents of the kit. Obviously I've used a couple of things out of the kit, the saw blades are gone and so is the carbon paper. But here is a pic of everything else. The tweezers are included because Ken taught us how to use hot sand for shading and you need tweezers for that. And in the pin vise there is a tiny counter sink bit for opening the holes on the back side of the wood after drilling. All for $25.

20210211_150628.jpg

Thanks Ray, I was just curious what was in his kit and also I saw in the video the counter sink bit/bur and thought it would be good for regular scrolling? Do you know what size the bur is or were to just get the bur? 

Thanks Richard

2 hours ago, rustynail said:

Thanks Ray, I was just curious what was in his kit and also I saw in the video the counter sink bit/bur and thought it would be good for regular scrolling? Do you know what size the bur is or were to just get the bur? 

Thanks Richard

I think it might be a Dremel part. Not sure.

23 hours ago, scrollerpete said:

scrollerpete, ........ I forgot to mention,  nice looking work. What method did you use to cut it? 

Richard 

4 minutes ago, rustynail said:

scrollerpete, ........ I forgot to mention,  nice looking work. What method did you use to cut it? 

Richard 

It was all done with the scrollsaw.

@Scrappile, here is something to wet your taste buds. This guy is a true artist but after watching him and most of his videos, I don't see anything that we can't do with a bit of practice and plannining.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:14 AM, Scrappile said:

There is suppose to be one here... I do not know how active it is, I am not currently a member..

https://americanmarquetrysociety.org/content.aspx?page_id=60&club_id=381939

I can't seem to get rid of the last thing I posted. I've tried every way I can think of to delete this last post. I just found another great video that I think that anybody who is interested in learning the basics on marquetry will find interesting. This man knows of what he speaks. And he keeps it simple. He taught his nine year old Granddaughter how to do it and she does  a great job.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:14 AM, Scrappile said:

On 2/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, Scrappile said:

I'm just curious... Any one here do marquetry?  It has alway intrigued me... the difference between scrolling and true art... If I was young I would go all out and take classes or what ever to learn to do it,,, but I am not.... But I do want to try some of it... like the double bevel marquetry where you can still use the scroll saw... Like I said,  just curious and maybe I should be satisfied with what I know.... but I love marquetry.... anyone else...? 

Paul just try a simple 3-4 piece project to get your feet wet. You will instantly fall in love! Less mess too!!!

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I can't seem to get rid of the last thing I posted. I've tried every way I can think of to delete this last post. I just found another great video that I think that anybody who is interested in learning the basics on marquetry will find interesting. This man knows of what he speaks. And he keeps it simple. He taught his nine year old Granddaughter how to do it and she does  a great job.

Ray, you can’t delete a post here, but in an edit you can erase everything in the post including photos and videos. To edit, click on the three dots in the top right of your post.

Edited by dgman

1 hour ago, dgman said:

Ray, you can’t delete a post here, but in an edit you can erase everything in the post including photos and videos. To edit, click on the three dots in the top right of your post.

Dan I tried doing it that way and still couldn't get rid of it. Not a big deal but frustrating.