Marquetry

Scrappile

I'm just curious... Any one here do marquetry?  It has alway intrigued me... the difference between scrolling and true art... If I was young I would go all out and take classes or what ever to learn to do it,,, but I am not.... But I do want to try some of it... like the double bevel marquetry where you can still use the scroll saw... Like I said,  just curious and maybe I should be satisfied with what I know.... but I love marquetry.... anyone else...? 

Hi, Scrappile,
I love marquetry also but, I have not yet tried it.
I was curious about the difference between inlay and marquetry techniques and found this
article Double Bevel Marquetry - David J. Marks
The same David J. Marks seems to have quite a few DVD's on the subject and there also seem
to be a lot of YouTube videos by several different people.

I can hardly wait to see your efforts because I anticipate you will have the itch to try this soon than later.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Paul, I do marquetry and I have taken two different class, one at the American School of French Marquetry with Patrick Edwards and learned how to cut with a Chevalet ( In fact I made one of the Chevalets to cut with) and also, I took a class at Mark Adams School of Woodworking with Paul Schurch and we cut on a scroll saw but not the double bevel cut method but instead we did the packet cut method (much easier). The classes were great and I learned a lot. But if you want to learn without taking a class, I highly recommend Paul Schurch's two videos ( in fact they are part of taking his classes requirements ) and they have everything you need to know on how to do the marquetry packet cut method and has the same information in them that we learned at the class. I guarantee that you will be able to do marquetry if you get them … given your ability of being a good scroller.  

Richard

http://americanschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/WPASFM/

https://schurchwoodwork.com/

Edited by rustynail

Here is a box I did not two long ago that I cut out on a scroll saw with the packet cut method . I have since put a velvet liner in the box after these pictures. Also the inside of the box looks like it has one very light peice of wood but it does not look like that, its just the picture for some reason?

IMG_3984[87].jpg

IMG_3985[88].jpg

Edited by rustynail

Paul, I did take a marquetry class. In fact, marquetry is what started me in scrolling. I was at our County Fair about 5 years ago the the woodworkers group was out there as usual but this year was different. There was a guy there who had built his own foot powered saw that was different than anything I had ever seen and it intrigued me so I stood and watched him cut a few pieces of his picture. Anyway, long story short, he gave me his card and invited me to come attend one of his classes. I did that and was so interested I just had to buy my first saw. If you want to try it the same way he taught the art, I recommend buying this book. "The Art of Marquetry" by Craig Vandall Stevens. I bought it from Amazon and I think it was only about $15. It gives great pictorial views on exactly the same method that I was taught by Ken Cowell. The strange thing is though that I never went any further with it. I got side-tracked on other forms of scrolling. What I did learn from it though is that you have to have some project intended to use your finished marquetry on. A box, a cabinet, a table top or something to use it for. And, whatever you apply it to, you have to attach something to the back of whatever you attach it to. I guess it's like any other laminated object in that you have to have offsetting pressures so the board doesn't warp in one direction. Am I making myself understood? I'm not sure. Anyway, get the book and read it. You'll have a much better understanding once you do. I did this little leaf/stem as the first project. I bought another pattern/kit from him along with the woods. They are still laying on my bench where I put them 5 years ago.

DSC_0454.JPG

36 minutes ago, rustynail said:

Paul, I do marquetry and I have taken two different class, one at the American School of French Marquetry with Patrick Edwards and learned how to cut with a Chevalet ( In fact I made one of the Chevalets to cut with) and also, I took a class at Mark Adams School of Woodworking with Paul Schurch and we cut on a scroll saw but not the double bevel cut method but instead we did the packet cut method (much easier). The classes were great and I learned a lot. But if you want to learn without taking a class, I highly recommend Paul Schurch's two videos ( in fact they are part of taking his classes requirements ) and they have everything you need to know on how to do the marquetry packet cut method and has the same information in them that we learned at the class. I guarantee that you will be able to do marquetry if you get them … given your ability of being a good scroller.  

Richard

http://americanschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/WPASFM/

https://schurchwoodwork.com/

I have meet Paul Schurch and have seen some of his work. He did a presentation at our woodworking club, then held a class in his Santa Barbara studio. I didn’t attend the class as I could not afford it at the time, but I wish I had. He does some amazing work!

Edited by dgman

I'm sorta hoping there will be enough interest here that I could request Travis add it as a forum option.. not so far but maybe..  

@rustynail,  I have looked a many plans of Chevalets, and would love to build one,,,, just to build one... but I do not have the room... That is why I am really, I think, in the double bevel marquetry.... I have scroll saw... But "come'n man" there is so much neat marquetry stuff out here...

Thanks for all the input so far... checking it all out...

Edited by Scrappile

Based on this thread, I ordered the videos and booklets from Paul Schurch this morning.  The videos are very high quality. The camera show exactly what Paul is describing as he works.  The editing is proper and professional.  The information in the videos are recapped in the booklets.   I watched about 30 minutes of the Marquetry techniques video and so far it is very clear on how to perform the process.

The way the ordering process works is that you order and pay on his website.  The cost is $60.00 for the two videos and the two booklets.  About five minutes after paying,  you receive a link to the two videos and two booklets.  You download the videos and booklets to your computer. The videos are in a zip format, so you will need to extract the videos. I have a high speed internet connection and the whole process of downloading and extracting took less than five minutes.

My thoughts are the videos and the companion booklets are of a high quality and will provide the information needed to get started and to learn how to do marquetry.  I would prefer to have a hands-on class, but that is not happening right now. The price of $60.00 seems appropriate based upon the high quality and the amount of information provided.

Ok, color me confused.

Someone please explain the exact difference between marquetry and inlay.  I only see one difference and that is that marquetry uses veneer.  And it often is just a hand held coping saw or xacto knife

Both use the bevel style cut where the blade is an an angle to the base.

JimErn

I copied this response from a Google search.  I think in reality, the two are used interchangeably. 

Marquetry is a decorative technique where wood veneers are sawn into a pattern and then assembled like a jigsaw. Inlay is similar but instead of assembling a large panel of veneer, the decoration is inset into a recess cut into a larger panel of wood.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

Maybe one of our marquetry pros can put together a step-by-step tutorial of a simple project and we could all get started. Wink, wink. I'd be willing to join in.

I am positive that the best way is to buy that book. It would be so much better than trying to teach it here. Even watching videos is tough. Having the book and watching the videos is the best way. If anybody on here is in the Orange County/L.A. County or Riverside County of So. Cal. I strongly recommend taking Ken Cowell's class. If his price is still the same, it was $50 for a 4 hour class on a Saturday afternoon in his garage. He has a bunch of scroll saws but also asks for anybody who can to bring their own saw. Here is his info.
KenCowellStudio.com

714-524-6278

I always felt that marquetry was the true measure of a man as they say when it came to the scroll saw.  It just seems like the master level stuff we all would eventually want to stride for. 

I have watched a few videos and tried it but it looked terrible. 

Now I might have to give it another go with these links and tips here.

When I took the class, we were using veneers that were about .050 in thickness. Less than a 1/16th of an inch. The whole idea is to incorporate different colors and species of wood to create a picture. Using the grain of the wood and a pan of hot sand for shading it all comes together a small piece at a time. That little leaf that I did was made up of 5 different pieces cut and inlaid. The secret is knowing where to drill your blade hole so that it ends up in the waste portion of the wood. Drilling at an angle of about 8 degrees if I recall. The book that I mentioned has this exact same project as it's teaching example and explains move by move exactly what to do and how to do it. It's not all that difficult if you take your time and try  to think about what you are doing a step or two ahead. It's a lot of fun. I just got sidetracked on making other stuff. I'm going to circle back now and start making boxes so that I can use the marquetry creation on the lids. As RustyNail did. Gorgeous work!

When doing marquetry with the double bevel method (tilted table) a lot of instructors want you to use the thicker veneer which is hard to get and costs more or you have to cut your own. With the stacked or packet method you use regular veneers which are easy to get and cost less with more options. If you really get into marquetry you will find there are lots of ways of doing it. Some easier than others and some faster than others. I have read lots of books and watched a lot of videos, and classes and now there are the lasers to cut it as well. Good luck with what ever method you try. 

Matt when you finish the videos and books you got from Paul Schurch let us know if you feel the same as your quick positive review of them and of course show us what you made. :) 

Here is a video from Silas Kopf which shows the double bevel method. His works are top end work. I prefer the stacked or packet method as they are much easier to do as you can stack up to 16 layers of veneer in one cutting and cut every thing all at once and then just assemble it in the back ground which you just cut as well.

Also octoolguy thanks for the complement....:) and it seems there are a lot of  marquetry class and iinstructors out there in Cal , as one of them that I took was in San Diego.

Edited by rustynail

At long last I may have found my niche - on this site, as well as in my scrolling.

I am a rank amateur when it comes to scrolling and marquetry and have read many of the books referenced by others.  I am addicted to watching videos offered by popular streaming services.  I began with a Craftsman saw and, having gotten my feet wet, soon replaced In with a Dewalt DW 788. In an era of Covid, traveling from my location, and at my age, are out of the question. That rules out formal classes, such as many responders have reported experiencing.

A forum dedicated to marquetry would serve two purposes.  First, it would allow for a more focused set of sub-topics.  Veneer sources, diy veneer presses, discussion of practical issues - these are a few examples of what I am referring to.

The second purpose is simply this:  to provide an opportunity for the camaraderie that goes with sharing a common interest and assisting others with our own experiences and ideas.

Count me in for further discussions!

On 2/6/2021 at 5:25 PM, rustynail said:

Here is a video from Silas Kopf which shows the double bevel method. His works are top end work. I prefer the stacked or packet method as they are much easier to do as you can stack up to 16 layers of veneer in one cutting and cut every thing all at once and then just assemble it in the back ground which you just cut as well.

Also octoolguy thanks for the complement....:) and it seems there are a lot of  marquetry class and iinstructors out there in Cal , as one of them that I took was in San Diego.

Thanks for posting this video. I've never seen it done this way before. I didn't see any mention of a table tilt or drill holes. Whatever his method is, the finished product is amazing.