Marquetry

Scrappile

The Marquetry discussion seems to have tapered off.  Since last posting I have joined the "American Marquetry Society" and participated in a few of the weekly Zoom meetings conducted by its parent, "The Marquetry Society."  This group is based in England and the attendees comprise a most helpful group of well-established marqueteers.  Their work is most impressive and their willingness to share and discuss technique reflects patience (no doubt a benefit enhanced by the practice of the art form) and experience.

For a rank beginner like me, the difficulty with this informal structure is that at present I have nothing to show or discuss.  Ernie Mills, the U.S. Rep, has a website known as "Marquetry Magic," ( See www.marquetrymagic.com) which is well worth visiting.  Be sure to check out the section entitled "Tutorials.". After selecting this option scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and select the link to "The Beginner's Guide." After introductory material is covered there is a section entitled "Basic Techniques" which is well worth your time to review.  The basic "Leaf Pattern" seems to be a classic introduction to the window method of cutting veneer.  There are also several variants of the exercise to be found on Youtube.

No matter your skill level this exercise is well worth the small amount of time and materials required to complete it.  For this novice the simple act of cutting the first piece of veneer was a learning experience, in that I quickly found that choice of knife handles and blades was important to my success. If it doesn't "feel" right to me I tend to distract myself and to begin fussing with my work.  (I also learned that not all #11 Xacto replacement blades are created equally, but that's another story.)

Although I ultimately plan to use a scroll saw for my marquetry work, I concluded that learning several different approaches to cutting and developing "windows" into my work would only be helpful.  Ernie Mills has been most encouraging and helpful in launching my efforts and I highly recommend joining the American Marquetry Society for its benefits.  Since marquetry, as opposed to inlay, is a relatively obscure approach to woodworking and art (especially in the U.S.) it would be useful to have a regular forum for exchange of ideas and information about projects on this site.

Edited by Trapper John
correction of typing

John, thank you for the update....  Since I started this thread, feel bad the I have not worked hard to keep this active. My problem is, so many projects in wood working I want to accomplish that it is really hard for me to focus on one and become proficient at it... Example, I have three projects currently active and finding it hard to stay focused on one to finish before I start the next,,  part of getting old,,, having so many interests that you want to try,,, and you know time is running out!!  

Anyway, I did rejoin the Marquetry Society after I started this thread... If nothing else,, I enjoy their news letters, and it seems like they are working hard to keep the society going... You are aware there is a chapter in Washington over on the coast.... Not that horribly far from you... Also,,, When/before, this covid BS hit I made several trips to Portland a year,,, my daughter and her family live there... If we get back to normal in this country,,,, maybe we could meet somewhere between, some time and you could teach me something and let me see some of your wor, now that would be a challenge,, to teach me,,, wow...   Also @Travis lives in the Vancouver area,,, I feel I owe him a lunch, but don't remember why, and I would like to pay my debt,,, it would be great if the three of us could some way meet up.  Let me tell you, meeting and talking with people that have the same interests is pretty amazing.. and awesomely (that a word) fun... I have done it with @heppnerguy and @scrollingforsanity, and we keep in touch with phone calls and email... Some of my most cherished friendships..

Is the leaf marquetry from "The Wood Whisperer"?  I remember watching one of his videos and he did a leaf like that..

And I rattle on,,,,, again thanks for the update.... Not sure "zoom" will work on my desktop Mac Mini, but I will look into it.  May have to dig my wife's old shattered Ipad out of the garbage and use it... She will no let me touch her brand new one..

Thanks, again, John,, please keep posting about marquetry.... gets me pumped up!!

On 3/18/2021 at 12:01 PM, Trapper John said:

The Marquetry discussion seems to have tapered off.  Since last posting I have joined the "American Marquetry Society" and participated in a few of the weekly Zoom meetings conducted by its parent, "The Marquetry Society."  This group is based in England and the attendees comprise a most helpful group of well-established marqueteers.  Their work is most impressive and their willingness to share and discuss technique reflects patience (no doubt a benefit enhanced by the practice of the art form) and experience.

For a rank beginner like me, the difficulty with this informal structure is that at present I have nothing to show or discuss.  Ernie Mills, the U.S. Rep, has a website known as "Marquetry Magic," ( See www.marquetrymagic.com) which is well worth visiting.  Be sure to check out the section entitled "Tutorials.". After selecting this option scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and select the link to "The Beginner's Guide." After introductory material is covered there is a section entitled "Basic Techniques" which is well worth your time to review.  The basic "Leaf Pattern" seems to be a classic introduction to the window method of cutting veneer.  There are also several variants of the exercise to be found on Youtube.

No matter your skill level this exercise is well worth the small amount of time and materials required to complete it.  For this novice the simple act of cutting the first piece of veneer was a learning experience, in that I quickly found that choice of knife handles and blades was important to my success. If it doesn't "feel" right to me I tend to distract myself and to begin fussing with my work.  (I also learned that not all #11 Xacto replacement blades are created equally, but that's another story.)

Although I ultimately plan to use a scroll saw for my marquetry work, I concluded that learning several different approaches to cutting and developing "windows" into my work would only be helpful.  Ernie Mills has been most encouraging and helpful in launching my efforts and I highly recommend joining the American Marquetry Society for its benefits.  Since marquetry, as opposed to inlay, is a relatively obscure approach to woodworking and art (especially in the U.S.) it would be useful to have a regular forum for exchange of ideas and information about projects on this site.

I'll never do marquetry. Too old to learn another discipline. I am curious what the difference is with #11 Xacto blades . I used to buy them in 1000 blade batches for my art department years ago and did not know there was a difference. I'm still wiling to learn but just a little. :>)

9 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I'll never do marquetry. Too old to learn another discipline. I am curious what the difference is with #11 Xacto blades . I used to buy them in 1000 blade batches for my art department years ago and did not know there was a difference. I'm still wiling to learn but just a little. :>)

Les, there is no mystery to marquetry and it is really simple to learn. It is just a slower way to make a picture. The whole idea is to make a picture using the different colors and grains of the different species of wood. I think you would find it fascinating once you learn the principle. Not difficult. If I can do it, anybody can do it. There is one video on youtube that I watched, about an hour long, and the guy starts out showing a couple of beautiful boxes and then he introduces his 9 year old daughter. She made them. Don't say no until you've given it a try.

Just now, octoolguy said:

Les, there is no mystery to marquetry and it is really simple to learn. It is just a slower way to make a picture. The whole idea is to make a picture using the different colors and grains of the different species of wood. I think you would find it fascinating once you learn the principle. Not difficult. If I can do it, anybody can do it. There is one video on youtube that I watched, about an hour long, and the guy starts out showing a couple of beautiful boxes and then he introduces his 9 year old daughter. She made them. Don't say no until you've given it a try.

I just don't have time for another hobby or the room to do it. I work in like 144 square inches on my work bench. I was making a picture frame today and gluing it up. I had to keep moving things as I would turn it to glue up the corners.

17 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I just don't have time for another hobby or the room to do it. I work in like 144 square inches on my work bench. I was making a picture frame today and gluing it up. I had to keep moving things as I would turn it to glue up the corners.

I'm not sure if you understand what it is all about Les. It doesn't take up any more space that what you are doing now. It's just another way to create something on your scroll saw. You can make artistic panels as small as you want or as large as you want. Just think about making a jewelry box with a flat lid and you want to embellish it with a flower or a bird. You can do it with this artform. Not a big thing at all. Instead of doing fretwork on a flat table square to your blade, you'll be tilting the table and cutting out the pieces at an angle so that one piece will drop into the background piece. Actually, you'll be working with the pieces that you usually toss away or get sucked up in your vacuum.

16 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Ray,

thx, I will watch it later, thinking about trying this form of art, RJ 

Be careful, you'll get hooked. The first time I ever was exposed to it, before I even thought of scrolling, my wife and I were out to our county fair and the OC Woodworkers always have a display out there. I always have to check it out. This one time, Ken Cowell was out there with a home-made foot-powered scroll saw that had a long arm that extended way out and through ropes and pulleys, he would just move his right foot up and down to power the saw blade in a very slow and controlled way. I watched him for a long time and chatted with him as he was cutting out little pieces and putting them into the pattern. That's all it took for me. I was hooked. Not long after that I bought a used Dewalt and the rest is history. I took one class from him and learned a lot in one Saturday afternoon. He suggested I buy the book that I have mentioned numerous times here and what I found after reading the book is he must have modeled his class around that book because it is identical to what is written. I've since found many great videos on youtube and watched them over and over.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Be careful, you'll get hooked. The first time I ever was exposed to it, before I even thought of scrolling, my wife and I were out to our county fair and the OC Woodworkers always have a display out there. I always have to check it out. This one time, Ken Cowell was out there with a home-made foot-powered scroll saw that had a long arm that extended way out and through ropes and pulleys, he would just move his right foot up and down to power the saw blade in a very slow and controlled way. I watched him for a long time and chatted with him as he was cutting out little pieces and putting them into the pattern. That's all it took for me. I was hooked. Not long after that I bought a used Dewalt and the rest is history. I took one class from him and learned a lot in one Saturday afternoon. He suggested I buy the book that I have mentioned numerous times here and what I found after reading the book is he must have modeled his class around that book because it is identical to what is written. I've since found many great videos on youtube and watched them over and over.

I'd like to watch videos but not being able to hear the audio it is useless.

On 2/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, Matt B said:

Based on this thread, I ordered the videos and booklets from Paul Schurch this morning.  The videos are very high quality. The camera show exactly what Paul is describing as he works.  The editing is proper and professional.  The information in the videos are recapped in the booklets.   I watched about 30 minutes of the Marquetry techniques video and so far it is very clear on how to perform the process.

The way the ordering process works is that you order and pay on his website.  The cost is $60.00 for the two videos and the two booklets.  About five minutes after paying,  you receive a link to the two videos and two booklets.  You download the videos and booklets to your computer. The videos are in a zip format, so you will need to extract the videos. I have a high speed internet connection and the whole process of downloading and extracting took less than five minutes.

My thoughts are the videos and the companion booklets are of a high quality and will provide the information needed to get started and to learn how to do marquetry.  I would prefer to have a hands-on class, but that is not happening right now. The price of $60.00 seems appropriate based upon the high quality and the amount of information provided.

I keep looking at the booklet and video package, but have not purchased yet... I would like to have hard copy booklets and videos on disk... That way I can lay in bed and watch and read.... I suppose I could copy the videos to disk to watch in my bed room and print the booklets.  I hate to burn the inc and paper,,, and an not sure it the videos would copy in a format I can play on my disk player..

31 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I keep looking at the booklet and video package, but have not purchased yet... I would like to have hard copy booklets and videos on disk... That way I can lay in bed and watch and read.... I suppose I could copy the videos to disk to watch in my bed room and print the booklets.  I hate to burn the inc and paper,,, and an not sure it the videos would copy in a format I can play on my disk player..

Paul, buy the book I suggested. It will tell you everything you need to know. I guarantee that it will be almost as good as a video or an in person class. I took the class and then read the book. They are/were the same. The Art of Marquetry. https://www.amazon.com/Art-Marquetry-Schiffer-Book-Woodworkers/dp/076430237X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+art+of+marquetry&qid=1616377929&sr=8-1

$16.99.

@octoolguyI use to have that book, went looking for it when you first mentioned it.... could not find it, I think I sold it in a yardsale several years ago, when  I thought I had enough hobbies.... I just ordered another copy of it from my favorite ebay used book store for $8.  Now I will find the one I thought I sold!  Best way I know to find something is to buy another...and darn there it is!!  You know what I mean? 🤓

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

@octoolguyI use to have that book, went looking for it when you first mentioned it.... could not find it, I think I sold it in a yardsale several years ago, when  I thought I had enough hobbies.... I just ordered another copy of it from my favorite ebay used book store for $8.  Now I will find the one I thought I sold!  Best way I know to find something is to buy another...and darn there it is!!  You know what I mean? 🤓

Happens all the time. My wife says "where's my ???. I reply " I'll bet it's right where you left it" and then the fight started. Lol

5 hours ago, Scrappile said:

That's why I have so many double tools and things. Went to Harbor Freight and saw a push stick for a table saw for 99 cents. I can use that so I bought it. Then found two just like it at home. Sometimes I just buy something without thinking. Old age I guess.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, Rockytime said:

That's why I have so many double tools and things. Went to Harbor Freight and saw a push stick for a table saw for 99 cents. I can use that so I bought it. Then found two just like it at home. Sometimes I just buy something without thinking. Old age I guess.

Too much expendable income? Maybe if it was your last buck, you'd think twice. I know since I have been forced onto a fixed income, I really think about what I spend. And then I spend it anyway. lol

Edited by octoolguy

Well, my problems with woodworking are largely self -inflicted. As mentioned above, one project leads to another, and to another... ad infinitum.  I make more sawdust than most.  I measure twice and still wind up on the short end of things. Any difficulty that I am having with marquetry simply points to where I am on my own learning curve because I am easily distracted.

For example, and as I may have mentioned before, I am extremely interested in applying marquetry to Pacific Northcoast indigenous painting.  As noted above, marquetry can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be, but it is basically painting using wood coloration and grain as a medium.  I have taken a sidestep to learn as much as I can about this type of cultural representation and have made a few attempts at drawing and combining with marquetry.  Thus, I spend as much time reading and organizing as I do actual cutting.

This is probably why I don't have much to show for my efforts - yet.  It must be a character flaw!

Rockytime, I too buy my blades in bulk, just 100 at a time instead of 1,000.  I need to declare that since Covid I have become increasingly reliant upon Mr. Bezos' company, which sources a lot of stuff from China.  The important thing to remember about nearly any imported product is that is is being specifically designed and produced to specs, which we are all (myself excepted) comfortable with. So ultimately the quality of an imported blade depends upon the specs, the manufacturer's quality and honesty . . . and of course, the price.

This is my explanation of why good old #11 blades are not all the same; a blade manufactured on the cheap is simply going to flex more, cut shallower, and dull faster than a higher quality blade.  It's a bit like buying a scroll saw from Arbor Fright or . . . (fill in your tool name & model #).

Or, perhaps this is not unlike a Chevy vs Ford discussion, lol.

Edited by Trapper John
correction of typing

On 3/20/2021 at 2:56 PM, rustynail said:

Trapper John, what time of day are the zoom meetings and what day of the week?  

The meetings were held on Wednesday at 7:30 pm GMT- or in my case, 11:30am (PST).  Your time depends on what time zone you are in.  You may either remove your shoes and count it out, or do what I do and ask a loved one to do it for you.😁

Sorry I didn't reply sooner!

2 hours ago, Trapper John said:

The meetings were held on Wednesday at 7:30 pm GMT- or in my case, 11:30am (PST).  Your time depends on what time zone you are in.  You may either remove your shoes and count it out, or do what I do and ask a loved one to do it for you.😁

Sorry I didn't reply sooner!

I can only hope that the time difference is never more than 10 hours. Or else you will have to use your fingers and toes.