New guy from Southern California

rob w

Rob here in California. I like to do small woodworking projects (carve some birds, , etc.), nothing too fancy but I'm feeling the call of the scroll saw and I've decided to get one. I've done a ton of reading/research and have thought about either the Dewalt 788 or it's twin the Delta 40-694. I'm usually a 'buy once, cry once' guy when it comes to good tools so I've just been thinking about waiting for one or the other to go on sale from Amazon/HD/Lowes and ordering a new one . I do keep my eyes open on Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Marketplace, (and now here!) but not a big fan of some of the shenanigans that goes on online and don't want to waste too much time or energy there. Anyway, happy to be here and hope to be scrolling soon. 

Rob  

Edited by rob w

First of all, WELCOME.

A great support group here.

Next, I own two Delta 40-694's. One is 20 years old, the other is about 12 years old.

I use them both, I grease them once a year and I would buy Delta 40-694's again.

They are a great middle end saw and they do all I want for my scrolling.

Listen to the others and show us your carvings.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:54 AM, rob w said:

Rob here in California. I like to do small woodworking projects (carve some birds, , etc.), nothing too fancy but I'm feeling the call of the scroll saw and I've decided to get one. I've done a ton of reading/research and have thought about either the Dewalt 788 or it's twin the Delta 40-694. I'm usually a 'buy once, cry once' guy when it comes to good tools so I've just been thinking about waiting for one or the other to go on sale from Amazon/HD/Lowes and ordering a new one . I do keep my eyes open on Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Marketplace, (and now here!) but not a big fan of some of the shenanigans that goes on online and don't want to waste too much time or energy there. Anyway, happy to be here and hope to be scrolling soon. 

Rob  

Hi Rob

Welcome from Western Autralia,

I am also new here. please just ask for help if you need it as I have had so much help from all these wonderful people. I am also a learner.

Have a wonderfull weekend

Susan

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, rob w said:

Rob  

Welcome Rob! You've found a great home here! Well i thought the dw788 would suit my needs but i wear them out rather quickly.Rather than fix them i find low priced one for sale and stack them up for a rainy day! Wish i could help you chose but all my scrolling was on chinese saws. I enjoyed every second on them too. Then i got a Dewalt !! I thought it was a cadillac compared to the first 12 saws i wore out.Now i've wore out `12 dewalts and no money to buy another one.So i'm going back thru the dewalts to find one with some life left in it. You will laugh like a barrel full of monkeys in the coffee shop, and learn so much in the other forums here!!! Glad you found us and hope you become a regular!!! welcome again friend!!!!

On 3/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, amazingkevin said:

Welcome Rob! You've found a great home here! Well i thought the dw788 would suit my needs but i wear them out rather quickly.Rather than fix them i find low priced one for sale and stack them up for a rainy day! Wish i could help you chose but all my scrolling was on chinese saws. I enjoyed every second on them too. Then i got a Dewalt !! I thought it was a cadillac compared to the first 12 saws i wore out.Now i've wore out `12 dewalts and no money to buy another one.So i'm going back thru the dewalts to find one with some life left in it. You will laugh like a barrel full of monkeys in the coffee shop, and learn so much in the other forums here!!! Glad you found us and hope you become a regular!!! welcome again friend!!!!

Thanks for the welcome Kevin! I've already learned a lot since I've been here and now know a lot more saws to keep a look out for. I came up to speed on the RBI Hawks in the last week or so and had a good lead on a 220VS Ultra in great condition on Craigslist but the seller was non responsive to my emails and voicemail and then the listing disappeared so I guess it sold. The search goes on, keep having fun with your saws! Rob