Hello, total amateur here

padraig

Just bought on a whim an 18 inch Clarkes saw

This is a discontinued old model I picked up for 30 quid as it's about the last woodworking tool I need to buy😄. Two questions, please indulge me here. 1: how do I measure the length of the blade? Is it just the length of the toothed section disregarding the flat ends? My toothed section is coming up around 5 inches or 130mm or thereabouts but theres an inch or so either end where the pin is sited. Number 2. The table insert is a good flush fit and made of metal. But the opening is sitting east to west ( or vice versa) looking at it from the front. Should it not be north to south (or vice versa). Also looks like its held in by two little spring pins. Can I just push it out and realign.? Sorry for the long winded post. I'm eager to get this machine rocking and rolling, which it does! I'm going to have to bolt her down

Welcome to the forum... hope we can help.  Well, you measure end of blade to end of blade... I just measured several of mine,,,, pinless blades and all the "5 inch blades I have purchased all these years are more like 5 1/8" long... I have been getting a real bargain and didn't know it!!

Here is my 'Two Bits' 

The table insert is OK sitting East to West, the opening only needs to be enough so the blade is free of obstructions.

The length of the blade is made so it can be clamped top and bottom and tightened.

The toothed section length is only important to have teeth above the table top to make contact with the wood.

Have you tried cutting with the saw?  I would suggest you attach a blade and turn the saw on. 

Try cutting a piece of scrap wood. If that works then you are in business.

A pinned blade saw is not made for delicate FRET work but for cutting outlines

which is why most members have PINLESS blade saws.

Very pleased to have you as a member, the best to you and may you start pilling up the saw dust.

Edited by LarryEA

2 hours ago, LarryEA said:

Here is my 'Two Bits' 

The table insert is OK sitting East to West, the opening only needs to be enough so the blade is free of obstructions.

The length of the blade is made so it can be clamped top and bottom and tightened.

The toothed section length is only important to have teeth above the table top to make contact with the wood.

Have you tried cutting with the saw?  I would suggest you attach a blade and turn the saw on. 

Try cutting a piece of scrap wood. If that works then you are in business.

A pinned blade saw is not made for delicate FRET work but for cutting outlines

which is why most members have PINLESS blade saws.

Very pleased to have you as a member, the best to you and may you start pilling up the saw dust.

Yes, I've turned it on and it cuts with the two blades I have. One is 6 inches and the other 6½. I have just received a little conversion kit from Axminster tools which will allow me to use pinless blades. The insert is removable but its position is determined by two little pins so it will only fit transversely. I have tightened up all the Allen bolts as there was a lot of play in the frame. All good now. What blades do you suggest perhaps fine, medium and course. I believe that breakage of blades is an occupational hazard

• 3 months later...

I am not sure where you live but I do want to Welcome you to The Village and I hope you enjoy your scroll saw venture as all of us do. I might suggest that you take a look at our pattern library and see what we have for you to download for free. I would also like to give you a web site where you can find a lot of other free patterns where you can find some simple 'starter' patterns, you can also download and cut right away. 

www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com

I hope you are able to get your adapter for non pinned blade on your saw and also buy some blades that will make your sawing experience a lot of fun. 

Dick

heppnerguy

On 5/7/2021 at 3:38 PM, padraig said:

Just bought on a whim an 18 inch Clarkes saw

This is a discontinued old model I picked up for 30 quid as it's about the last woodworking tool I need to buy😄. Two questions, please indulge me here. 1: how do I measure the length of the blade? Is it just the length of the toothed section disregarding the flat ends? My toothed section is coming up around 5 inches or 130mm or thereabouts but theres an inch or so either end where the pin is sited. Number 2. The table insert is a good flush fit and made of metal. But the opening is sitting east to west ( or vice versa) looking at it from the front. Should it not be north to south (or vice versa). Also looks like its held in by two little spring pins. Can I just push it out and realign.? Sorry for the long winded post. I'm eager to get this machine rocking and rolling, which it does! I'm going to have to bolt her down

Welcome friend!!! As our newest member you have all the rights and privileges as a seasoned scroller here!!! Keep coming back and hope you can be a regular too!!! Welcme again!!!