Dream Scroll Saw

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Barely clamps are the way to go. I made barrel clamps for my 16" Hawk discarding the outer brass bushing. Never understood what good they were. I then modified them for my Hegners. I also bought Jet clamps. They have a humongous through hole. I plugged one side and made a smaller hole opposite. About a #55 drill size. No need to go to all that trouble. Just plug one hole with anything. Wood sliver, round toothpick or even epoxy plug would work. Perhaps you need two holes for the Jet. I have never looked at the Jet even though Woodcraft had one on display. Round clamps are simple to use. Poke blade in hole and saw!

20210731_163902.jpg

20210731_163810.jpg

20210731_163623.jpg

How is the paint holding up on your Hegners? And the stand? 

19 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Cheaper for one thing! I had to buy a couple of bottom clamps as my saw only came with one. Add the Quick clamp plus shipping and Boom! $75 bucks.

Wish I had known, I have a bunch of Hegner clamps and some goofy looking zig zag looking springs that go at the back of the saw.. Came in a box of blades etc I picked up at a estate sale.. Must be 10 clamps in the box.. Of coarse the pack rat I am.. I probably couldn't find them now, LOL I was going to eBay them.. but I decided to hang onto them since i want to own a Hegner sometime just to play around with and see if I like them.. I'd have gave you those clamps for shipping cost.. Like I said.. probably 2 hours work just to find where i put them now though, LOL

Just now, kmmcrafts said:

Wish I had known, I have a bunch of Hegner clamps and some goofy looking zig zag looking springs that go at the back of the saw.. Came in a box of blades etc I picked up at a estate sale.. Must be 10 clamps in the box.. Of coarse the pack rat I am.. I probably couldn't find them now, LOL I was going to eBay them.. but I decided to hang onto them since i want to own a Hegner sometime just to play around with and see if I like them.. I'd have gave you those clamps for shipping cost.. Like I said.. probably 2 hours work just to find where i put them now though, LOL

Hegners really are as nice operating as they say when your cutting.  I have concerns about paint falling off and I don’t like the clamp systems a lot because certain blade clamps only hold certain blades.  But.  Hell of a machine.  Honestly.  Most of the saws out there are awesome.  

1 minute ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

They should change to AkzoNobel powder coat systems over there.  

They use the paint from the dollar store I think.. every one I look at on craigslist etc. look like crap.. I've only ever seen one Hawk that looked like that.. LOL I guess it's a good thing the paint is the only thing they skimp on.. but being a used saw buyer.. sure turns me off when looking at them.. They look terrible.

1 minute ago, kmmcrafts said:

They use the paint from the dollar store I think.. every one I look at on craigslist etc. look like crap.. I've only ever seen one Hawk that looked like that.. LOL I guess it's a good thing the paint is the only thing they skimp on.. but being a used saw buyer.. sure turns me off when looking at them.. They look terrible.

Look at the bright side.  Really the only thing to change is the dust blower free from the upper arm and that plastic dust extraction on the bottom. Lol About a week back i actually found a paint code for the hegners.  

1 minute ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

Look at the bright side.  Really the only thing to change is the dust blower free from the upper arm and that plastic dust extraction on the bottom. Lol About a week back i actually found a paint code for the hegners.  

Was going to tell you: 

I found a Hawk G4 in North Carolina on Craigslist.. Not sure how close to you that is.. I think they was asking $500 if I remember right. I use searchtempest to search craigslist by state instead of going to CL and searching each individual city..

Everyone says that about those Hegners.. I have a hard time paying $400 on a old, very old saw that looks like it was towed behind a car in the northern salt / snow / ice covered roads for about 8 years, LOL I looked at one a couple weeks back and even got the guy down to $300 from the 400 he was asking.. The rusty saw and tiny table just turned me off..  

3 minutes ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

Works awesome!

Thanks, Les.... Guess I would have to try it... I don't understand how it is easier to put the blade into a hole, that you can't see, in the bottom of a barrel clamp than sliding it into a slot in the Hegner clamp that you can see...?  Not saying it is not easier,,,I just can't understand how it is... No matter, we all have our preferences.

4 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Interesting video but I think I only understood a couple words he said.. 🤣

Its okay.  Just watch how they are made and hand painted.  Thought maybe people would like to see it. I can also put a Hegner manual link here incase people are curious as to how Hegner says to use their saws and what can be adjusted like the stroke length. And it has good pictures too. 

Well, I love my Hegner... but I understand it is not the right saw for everyone.... I also like old cars and trucks.... building wooden boats and that sort of thing... so Not for everyone... I think the SP saw is in the same catagory,,,, not all the new features, but reliable, built to last and great customer service...  Not all the conveniences of some of them more modern saws,,,,, tilting head,,, top feeding... but it fits this old man and I know it will be with me as long as I am scrolling.. 

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Thanks for the kind thought Kevin. If you look closely at them you should see that the slot appears closer & or wider. There are actually 3 sizes for the different size range of blades. I only bought 2 of the mid size. They seem to work for everything I do. Hang on to them because used saws seldom come with them. 

16 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I found the dust port on the EX to work quite well for me.. I think better than the Seyco on board dust collection system that I bought.. I just have too loud of a vac to use it all day long, LOL... and too cheap to buy a "new" festool or fein vac.. not found a used one yet that didn't look and act like it had been through a world war at a reasonable price.. But I really do like the dust port, think it'd be easy to put a T or Y in the piping to put a dust port up top side and have the saws bellows blower blow toward the above table vac port. Kinda wish I'd have went that route instead of the on board Seyco unit.. that doesn't seem like it'd have enough power to fix up a T or Y to collect from the top side.. 

"I just have too loud of a vac to use it all day long, LOL"

I solved that problem with a good pair of ear muffs. I can barely hear that loud Craftsman vac when I scrolling.

I do have some saw dust on top of the table on my new Jet. But honestly not that much.  I'm going to try and find a Y connector and hook up another small hose to vac the top. So far, not much luck finding the Y connector. I may have to investigate what's available in the plumbing section of Home Depot.

This is the Micro kit I have now. I just need to find the 1 1/4" Y connector and hook it up to vac the top of my 18" Jet.

https://www.amazon.com/MaximalPower-Micro-Vacuum-Cleaner-Attachment/dp/B00GMT0XKU/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=micro+vac+kit&qid=1627814506&sr=8-9

Edited by ben2008

1 hour ago, ben2008 said:

"I just have too loud of a vac to use it all day long, LOL"

I solved that problem with a good pair of ear muffs. I can barely hear that loud Craftsman vac when I scrolling.

I do have some saw dust on top of the table on my new Jet. But honestly not that much.  I'm going to try and find a Y connector and hook up another small hose to vac the top. So far, not much luck finding the Y connector. I may have to investigate what's available in the plumbing section of Home Depot.

This is the Micro kit I have now. I just need to find the 1 1/4" Y connector and hook it up to vac the top of my 18" Jet.

https://www.amazon.com/MaximalPower-Micro-Vacuum-Cleaner-Attachment/dp/B00GMT0XKU/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=micro+vac+kit&qid=1627814506&sr=8-9

I have noise cancelling Worktunes head phones where I can play music though the headphones while protecting your hearing.. https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B0723CYHPZ

However they compress against your head and if you wear glasses they compress hard enough to give a headache after just a few hours.. I spend 6-8 hours daily in the shop so i can't do that either.. LOL.. They little seyco dust collection system is fairly quiet so long as you keep the filter cleaned out etc.. and those high end vacs are also much quieter.. That's the route I eventually want to go. 

10 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have noise cancelling Worktunes head phones where I can play music though the headphones while protecting your hearing.. https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B0723CYHPZ

However they compress against your head and if you wear glasses they compress hard enough to give a headache after just a few hours.. I spend 6-8 hours daily in the shop so i can't do that either.. LOL.. They little seyco dust collection system is fairly quiet so long as you keep the filter cleaned out etc.. and those high end vacs are also much quieter.. That's the route I eventually want to go. 

I'm one of the very lucky old guys. I don't need glasses and my ear muffs are not a problem. I would also like to get one of those Fein  vacs though.

10 minutes ago, ben2008 said:

I'm one of the very lucky old guys. I don't need glasses and my ear muffs are not a problem. I would also like to get one of those Fein  vacs though.

I don't wear glasses in the shop at all.. really only wear them if I drive.. and mostly only at night time driving.. I've had them for about 5 years now but only remembered to actually wear them a dozen or so times.. Should just put them on eBay, because every time I put them on and look at my scrollsaw work it looks like crap.. my work looks a lot better without them.🤣 

12 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Was going to tell you: 

I found a Hawk G4 in North Carolina on Craigslist.. Not sure how close to you that is.. I think they was asking $500 if I remember right. I use searchtempest to search craigslist by state instead of going to CL and searching each individual city..

Everyone says that about those Hegners.. I have a hard time paying $400 on a old, very old saw that looks like it was towed behind a car in the northern salt / snow / ice covered roads for about 8 years, LOL I looked at one a couple weeks back and even got the guy down to $300 from the 400 he was asking.. The rusty saw and tiny table just turned me off..  

I have looked at that a few times. Fairly close to me. If you want I can “hold on” to it for you until you want to pick it up.  😀