Scrolling 101

I have volunteered to do a series of sessions on scrolling. 

With the members who have never scrolled -  I first discuss the basics of patterns, blades and basic techniques and then get into cutting techniques.  I have the basic template below which does all the corners etc.  They will get 2 key chains (cat and bear).    

1.   I would appreciate any comments on the template.

2.  Then - I need a basic project to do that would be a good take home project.  I tried to do a keychains with their name and it was too difficult for some of the students. Probably have about 1/2 hour or so to devote to section.   I will glue up some extra small stuff for the real keeners.  (Always happens)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

g1167.png

Thanks for doing this.  I remember first starting out and it was tough to follow a line.

I first practiced by following various lines starting with gentle curves and gradually going to sharper turns and eventually square corners. I think the snowflake maybe too difficult for a beginner.  

Along with patterns,it might be good to suggest various woods or blades to use.  One of the biggest questions from newbie is what blade to use.

I like to start with simple silhouettes sometimes turning them in to simple puzzles. Another thing that often goes over well is letters or simple wordart.

When working with my students I find that sparking a desire to make a project can be far more helpful than tons of random practice.

When I first started I found the practice patterns were boring. I found some simple objects like cars, boats, airplanes etc were far more fun even if they looked like dung when finished. I still have my first cut, a duck, signed and dated so I can look back at where I started. Thanks for promoting the hobby and keeping the interest going.

Thanks for all your input.

When I did lessons before I used to have a whole section of squiggles and waves but I found that students got bored quickly (they are woodworkers ya know).  I will remove the snow flake (thanks Sycamore67)  and replace with a simple fish.  I am also going to replace the teddy bear key chain too.

Thanks Denny for the idea about Scroll Saw Workbook.  I was able to get the ebook from our library and his ideas are really great.  I haven't read completely but there are some great patterns especially for the follow up sessions.  

As Ray and Katie discussed it is nice to have a take home to say to the significant other "Hey honey- Look what I did - I need another tool".  I may do the cell phone stand from Steve Good with an easy pattern in the middle or a simple puzzle.

Thanks 

PS:  I just need the mask mandate to be eased in Ontario so we can schedule the sessions.  I did a survey for interest and so far 8 for never scrolled and then 8 that want refresher and then lots of interest in other topics like bowls, puzzles etc.  I probably will do weekly session from now to Christmas. 

23 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

When I first started I found the practice patterns were boring. I found some simple objects like cars, boats, airplanes etc were far more fun even if they looked like dung when finished. I still have my first cut, a duck, signed and dated so I can look back at where I started. Thanks for promoting the hobby and keeping the interest going.

Funny you should mention the duck, Ray.

Thats how I got into this whole scrollsaw thing.  I wanted to cut out a little wooden duck and tried it with a jigsaw.  It looked terrible so I reserached what tool would do it better.  Thats when i discovered this scrolling world of ours. 

1 hour ago, crupiea said:

Funny you should mention the duck, Ray.

Thats how I got into this whole scrollsaw thing.  I wanted to cut out a little wooden duck and tried it with a jigsaw.  It looked terrible so I reserached what tool would do it better.  Thats when i discovered this scrolling world of ours. 

Great minds think alike!