SVG File conversion - Inkscape & Scan n' Cut

Joe W.

I'm betting someone else out there already knows this, and it's probably already been posted before (I'm too lazy to check).
Inkscape uses the SVG format/file extension.
Turns out, so does the Brother Scan n' Cut machine.  I suspect the Cricket machine does too.
Anyway, I imported a Steve Good PDF pattern into Inkscape and then saved it.
From there, started up the Scan n' Cut program and imported the saved Inkscape SVG file, enlarged it, and cut it out using cardstock.
It took 6 minutes for the machine to cut it out.  My cutting depth was a hair shy so I had to coax a few letters out with an exacto knife.
It may come in handy for making stencils.  
1315064272_momresizedforemail.thumb.JPG.94d16380d667ec9224a0d5ebd3fb132e.JPG

What is the fun in watching a machine do the cutting for you.? 

Where is the pleasure you get when you do it yourself?

I guess it is a great thing if you are a sign maker or need to make 99 exactly the same.  However, IMHO it sure is not scroll saw work.

Although I embrace technology, I guess in this instance I'm a purest or traditionalist if you will. 

Please understand no disrespect is intended here.  I'm just not very pleased to see discussion about computer aided cutting in the SSV.  I'm sure there are other forums where it would be much more appropriate. 

On other social media sites that I belong to, lots of people use the cricket and like machines as stencils for their scroll saw projects.   Some also will use the software only (free) to create their own patterns instead of inkscape.  Apparently it is not as complicated to learn.

Edited by barb.j.enders
added info

That's all beyond my capabilities,, but my wife has a Cricut and has made several things that I have used in my woodworking.  I am on the team that thinks Cricut's, lasers, and CNC's are in a different category than woodworking, but it is a form of arts and crafts or computer crafts if you will.  I don't knock it, but it isn't something I see myself getting into.  It definitely takes skill to do the programming.. and you know what they say about opinions.  

• 2 weeks later...