A free pattern ? for the group and Frank EV. in particular.

Rolf

What is the policy on sharing the free patterns on this site. I posted this picture of some compound cuts on the "Scroll saw woodworking group" on FB.

Franks beautiful Two heads design is in the background. Do people need to be members of SSV (they should be anyway) or can a member share the pattern elsewhere? I of couurse said where I found the pattern.

Light houses.jpg

The common courtesy that I try to follow is to share a direct link to where a pattern can be found if I can. If I can’t find the direct link,  I would try to give a link back as best I can so here to the Village in general if I knew that was where I had found it.

So, For example, if it’s a JGR pattern (or another one I had purchased somewhere), I would  share the direct link to the pattern so it can be purchased. If I couldn’t give the direct link, I would give the link to her home page. I would do the same even when the pattern has been shared for free somewhere. For example, if it’s a Steve Good pattern, I would first try to find the original blog post where he shared the pattern and provide the direct link back to it. If I couldn’t easily find it, I would provide a link back to his home page of his blog.

in this instance, I would do as you did, say where I had gotten the original pattern from, the Scrollsaw Village website, and then provide a direct link back to where it can be found here. (I signed out and checked and you would need to be a member and signed in to access patterns shared it looks like so they would need to join to be able to see and download.)

So, for the pattern in question here, I would post a link back to it here and note you would need to be a member or join in order to see and download from here:

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/44200-two-heads-and-entwined-bodies-pdfs/

However, since in this instance, I also happen to know that Frankorona  actually first made and shared the original Image that FrankEV used to made the pattern from,  I would also share that note with the link to the pattern thread indicating such so he was acknowledged as the source for the image and photo Frank used to make the pattern from (as Frank noted when he first shared his own photos of the piece he cut here):

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/44162-two-heads/#comment-475942

And this next  thread is where Frankorona first shared his images the month prior (noting he used photo from the internet, so not his original image either 🥴)  and from which Frank made the pattern from (because Frankorona didn’t have an actual pattern to share, just his photo but gave Frank permission to create the pattern.)

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/44050-modernist-figures/#comment-474724

In this instance, sharing those three links may seem excessive to some, but to me, it’s all needed to give proper credit to Frankorona for first sharing his photo of his work, then giving Frank permission to use his photo to create his own version and to then share the pattern Frank created with members of the village. I feel it is important to give proper credit so in this particular instance, that credit would be to both Frankorona and then Frank. Normally, it would not be quite so “complicated” however. 😉☺️🙂

The only time I might “share” directly would be if someone had given specific permission to post and share elsewhere on the pattern it’s self. (I have seen this done). However, even then I would still attempt to give a link back if I could.

Since the patterns shared here are shared by members for members of the village, in my humble opinion, I would not post one I downloaded from here somewhere else or pass it on to someone but would point them back to where they could find it just as I would if it was a pattern I had purchased.

Edited by meflick
Edit to correct some info and typos

Well stated Melanie.  

When I see a request for a pattern, I do try to find the link for the person as well.  I have never shared a pattern that I have purchased, always direct them to the seller.  I also really hate those people who just say "Google it".  I think if the original poster found it, why can't they post the link?!

The original designer wants to control how their patterns are distributed.  When they upload a pattern to SSV, it's saying it is a gift to the members of SSV.  But I'm sure they'd be upset if that file is being shared among FB, other forums, other websites and blogs without their knowledge or consent.  So, if it's not a pattern you designed yourself, you should point them to the place they can download it for themselves.   

Granted, on SSV, they have to be a member (membership is free) to access the Pattern Library.  But I don't think that's too much to ask, especially if they're getting access to 5,000+ free scroll saw patterns.  We limit access to the Pattern Library to members, because a few years back, we ran into someone on EBay stealing our patterns and reselling them.  When I complained, they said it was Free and they can do whatever they want.  I eventually got Ebay to intervene and shut down the theft.

At any rate, sharing a link to where they can download the pattern themselves is the best approach.

• 2 weeks later...