Hello from Central Florida

John Smith

I joined here back in Nov-2018 with the "anticipation" of getting a scroll saw some day . . . . well, it took awhile, but, it finally came about.

I'm 74, retired from the commercial dimensional advertising world. (carved and routed signs).
I've always used the Roto-Zip, band saw, or other tools to make my projects. (wishing many times I had a good scroll saw). Well, I finally found an old DW-788 that the original owner said "it finally gave up the ghost" and advertised it on FaceBook. (Needing much repair). After a lot of research on the Ole Tube, I see that the major components that go bad aren't all that expensive so I picked the saw up for cheap (real cheap).  So now, with a very modest investment, I think I have a pretty reliable machine.
I'll cruise through the forums to see what's going on around here.
Thanks for having me !!
John

thanks for the kind words - I'm not really a scroller "enthusiast", per se. I like to make dimensional signs and have always used the band saw, routers, or Roto-Zip to cut the elements out then do some handcarving to perk them up a bit. I'll put some of my projects in my folder later on.

I work mostly with HDU (High Density Urethane). I very rarely clear-coat anything. (I'm a painter. That's what I do. I like to paint things).

975352902_carvedletters03.thumb.JPG.ac5d3d40c345e41bf8917960d922cba5.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...