Improvement

Eplfan2011

1 hour ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Busy week and what time I got on the saw was spent just cutting line,curves and corners trying to improve my skills. I must admit I got very frustrated with myself, don't tell anyone but I was cutting a corner and made a mistake and just pushed the whole peice of wood through the blade and threw the bits on the floor 🤯🤣🤣

Anyway I sat down for a few hours this morning and cut a Steve Good pattern. I must admit I did struggle with the small details, but my cutting was smoother, not happy with it but I see improvement. I also knocked up a quick Halloween lantern my wife had asked me to do. 

You are doing exactly the right thing. Work on something that has a purpose. Practice patterns are BORING! Those two projects are great and if they come out ok, great. If not, toss them or date them and put them away for a year. But from what I see, you are well on your way and probably being too tough on yourself. Just keep pushing yourself onto harder and harder things. So far, all good.

Also I might add, as in projects like the witch one, always work from the center outward. Get the little stuff cut before you cut out the outer shell. That way it keeps rigidity as long as possible.

Edited by OCtoolguy

5 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Also I might add, as in projects like the witch one, always work from the center outward. Get the little stuff cut before you cut out the outer shell. That way it keeps rigidity as long as possible.

This is exactly what I did, I also drilled for the external cut so as to help keep it more rigid, but I did cut out some chunks around the details to get to them from different angles.

13 hours ago, lawson56 said:

They both came out Fantastic!!!!👍👍 Don't ever give up, if you feel your getting to frustrated, take a brake, chill on some cola, or a cold one, then go back and cut some more.😃

My personal safety rule:  Once I drink alcohol, I do not operate power machinery for the rest of the day, scroll saw included.  

On 9/17/2022 at 4:35 AM, TAIrving said:

My personal safety rule:  Once I drink alcohol, I do not operate power machinery for the rest of the day, scroll saw included.  

ABSOLUTELY! Other than my insulated thermos of water or coffee, all beverages are banned from my shop. Canned ones leave rings on the saw tables and, invariably, some one will set one on a saw table. Alcohol is just plain VERBOTEN! Shiny spinning things and, other types of blades and, booze don't mix.