Anyone Know Of Any Plans / Patterns For This?

kmmcrafts

Just got word that my daughters old best friend ( my second daughter kind of, LOL ) is getting married and her mom reached out to me today asking if I could make something just like this... The wedding theme is beauty and the beast, LOL.. I only need to make the clock thing not the candle part of this image. 

Becca.jpg

2 hours ago, Charlie E said:

I didn't read it but looked at the pictures. He should work for Disney. :) 

Yeah, no way would I make this for just any customer.. in fact I almost turned it away anyway as I'm not too great with just winging it for making stuff without any patterns. They really want the design in the link that Dan posted.. the other looks too cartoon-ish.. While I might be able to figure it out with lots of trial and error and many scrap pieces I'd really like to find some plans for it. Thankfully they're not getting married until next May.. so I have a little time..  

Nobody makes them and that would also take out the sentimental value for me anyway knowing that I didn't make it. Not to mention I haven't seen anywhere that anyone is selling these. The reason I would never sell them is because it's trademarked ( Disney ) stuff and they are actively looking for those infringing. 

Did anyone look at the link Dan posted? I skimmed through it the other day but was just sort of skimming again and looking more closely at the pictures. It's made of foam and painted to look like wood, LOL

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Nobody makes them and that would also take out the sentimental value for me anyway knowing that I didn't make it. Not to mention I haven't seen anywhere that anyone is selling these. The reason I would never sell them is because it's trademarked ( Disney ) stuff and they are actively looking for those infringing. 

Did anyone look at the link Dan posted? I skimmed through it the other day but was just sort of skimming again and looking more closely at the pictures. It's made of foam and painted to look like wood, LOL

Yep. I noticed that.  keep us attuned to you progress, it will be a challenge for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after looking through the blog that Dan posted I found that the person that made it is on instagram.. so I sent them a message on there asking if they had any plans for sale etc. They said they would put the sketches up on the blog in a couple weeks after they get all the sketches scanned. So that should help get a starting point.. Said they'd message me once they were up on the blog. It'll likely be after the new year before I get time to start this project since business is always crazy from Oct. to the new year.. 

10 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Well, after looking through the blog that Dan posted I found that the person that made it is on instagram.. so I sent them a message on there asking if they had any plans for sale etc. They said they would put the sketches up on the blog in a couple weeks after they get all the sketches scanned. So that should help get a starting point.. Said they'd message me once they were up on the blog. It'll likely be after the new year before I get time to start this project since business is always crazy from Oct. to the new year.. 

interesting, someone had asked on the blog post if he had patterns and he had said he couldn’t find them and thought he might have thrown them away, but he would share them there if he ever found them or something  like that.  So, either he found them or he has had so many requests that he is recreating them. 😉 Either way, it will be good if you can get them in time to do your special project. Be sure to share if and when he lets you know they are available. Might be interested in them myself.

2 hours ago, meflick said:

interesting, someone had asked on the blog post if he had patterns and he had said he couldn’t find them and thought he might have thrown them away, but he would share them there if he ever found them or something  like that.  So, either he found them or he has had so many requests that he is recreating them. 😉 Either way, it will be good if you can get them in time to do your special project. Be sure to share if and when he lets you know they are available. Might be interested in them myself.

Yes he did say he found them and that he normally post them in the blog but didn't with this one since he thought he had thrown them out. But did happen to find them recently.

• 1 month later...

@meflick Thank you, that may be some help when I finally get started on this project. Thankfully they asked me well in advance, LOL 

The person on that blog did message me also and said they found the plans and put them up on the blog post, said if I had any questions feel free to ask so that was very nice. Hope to get started on this maybe late January.. 

• 1 month later...

Well I’m sort of getting started on this. Cut out the lower feet this morning. I’m making this from walnut for the main darker parts. The lighter portions I’m torn on what to use, I have poplar, maple, red oak, ash, and mahogany on hand. What one would you use? I’m torn between red oak and maple. Poplar is nice to work with though since I may end up with some sanding and shaping to make things all fit together well. Might do the arms out of mahogany? Any suggestions on making the swirl marks on those? 

Most of this looks pretty straightforward once I decide on materials to use other than the swirl marks in the upper arms sections. 

open to any ideas or suggestions.

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Well I’m sort of getting started on this. Cut out the lower feet this morning. I’m making this from walnut for the main darker parts. The lighter portions I’m torn on what to use, I have poplar, maple, red oak, ash, and mahogany on hand. What one would you use? I’m torn between red oak and maple. Poplar is nice to work with though since I may end up with some sanding and shaping to make things all fit together well. Might do the arms out of mahogany? Any suggestions on making the swirl marks on those? 

Most of this looks pretty straightforward once I decide on materials to use other than the swirl marks in the upper arms sections. 

open to any ideas or suggestions.

Kevin, I was looking at those arms and saw that they seem to be of some sort of a tapered piece curling inward. So, I think if you have some forstner bits you could do some concentric circles moving inward and reducing the sizes and it would appear that they were "swirling". I was thinking of how to make the tapered effect also. It's going to be a real head scratcher though. If you do make one, it might almost be a good idea to make extra pieces and parts as you go along so that if you screw up something you have a fall-back on hand. As for all the different types of woods, the one pictured seems to just be painted. That's how I might go about it too and just make it out of whatever you have on hand.

35 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Kevin, I was looking at those arms and saw that they seem to be of some sort of a tapered piece curling inward. So, I think if you have some forstner bits you could do some concentric circles moving inward and reducing the sizes and it would appear that they were "swirling". I was thinking of how to make the tapered effect also. It's going to be a real head scratcher though. If you do make one, it might almost be a good idea to make extra pieces and parts as you go along so that if you screw up something you have a fall-back on hand. As for all the different types of woods, the one pictured seems to just be painted. That's how I might go about it too and just make it out of whatever you have on hand.

Thank you Ray, That was the same idea I had about the swirls and maybe trying to use the Forestner bits.. but I thought I'd ask to see if maybe there was a better method. Yeah the one in the photos above is entirely made from 3mm and 6mm foam sheets and glued together and painted. I'm trying to replicate it out of wood. 

I decided to use Walnut for the darker areas and went with Maple on the lighter areas. Have the feet and lower portion all cut out. Thinking about Mahogany for the arms but not sure yet. Since it's made up of a lot of pieces and glued together I'd rather not paint it or stain it and I have a whole truckload of Walnut to use up, which makes up most of the project with just a few pieces of maple for accents, and maybe Mahogany for the arms.. or maybe even Cherry.

3 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Thank you Ray, That was the same idea I had about the swirls and maybe trying to use the Forestner bits.. but I thought I'd ask to see if maybe there was a better method. Yeah the one in the photos above is entirely made from 3mm and 6mm foam sheets and glued together and painted. I'm trying to replicate it out of wood. 

I decided to use Walnut for the darker areas and went with Maple on the lighter areas. Have the feet and lower portion all cut out. Thinking about Mahogany for the arms but not sure yet. Since it's made up of a lot of pieces and glued together I'd rather not paint it or stain it and I have a whole truckload of Walnut to use up, which makes up most of the project with just a few pieces of maple for accents, and maybe Mahogany for the arms.. or maybe even Cherry.

Sounds good.

Making a little progress. Just a bunch of pieces cut and stacked up, nothing is sanded or glued together yet. Think it should look decent once it’s finished up. Still have to drill holes for the clock and make the arms hair and other decorative pieces. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

55 minutes ago, meflick said:

Looking good. Look forward to seeing it completed. Glad you decided to go with the maple, I think it’s a good choice with the walnut. They complement each other and I feel they are both high quality wood choices. Make sure you are keeping patterns and copious notes. 😉

The plans / patterns are on the blog website now that Dan first posted.. They are downloadable and printable.. However to do over which I'm hoping not to have to do again I would enlarge the sizes maybe 10 - 15%.. My original plan was to put a pendulum clock in it.. However the size of the torso and where the clock would be I don't see the pendulum being able to swing.. shortest pendulum I've found was 5" and it's just about right on the dot 5" from the center of the clock to the bottom of the torso.. so I think it would need to be at least a inch or so taller... Thinking I'll just put a 3" clock insert in it and make a wood pendulum to decorate the torso rather than having the functional one, LOL. Probably paint gold. 

Thinking for the shoulder of using 1" dowel and then scroll out the arms and glue it all together since I seen some left over Maple Dowel rod I had tonight while looking for something else. Since the one on the blog was made from foam.. they have the arms just as rolled up foam.. I could do it that way as well but rather make it all entirely out of wood. Think I have some 1/4" walnut dowel too so that might work for the hair / hat or whatever is on the head, LOL.  

• 1 month later...

Still working on this piece little by little in between orders etc. I need to get on the ball and finish it up. Not quite certain how I'm going to make the arms and I might redo the hair. I have some other trim type pieces to go on it too. 

My original plan was to use a swinging pendulum  type clock.. however the size of this wouldn't allow me to fit a pendulum in it.. so I think I'm going to just saw one out of wood and maybe paint it gold and glue it in there.. Or possibly cut one from some thin brass sheet.. since I've never cut brass, LOL.. but we'll see. 

This is a shot of it just taped together and test fitting things before I start gluing. 

Edited by kmmcrafts