Hello from Missouri

MidwestTrudell

Howdy! I've been scroll sawing for a handful of years on my DW788. I started out with 2D patterns from Steve Good, moved to some fun boxes, and am mostly cutting compound ornaments when I can get to the saw. I also have an ever growing inventory of patterns and books on the hobby.

I enjoy gifting whatever I cut, and always move back to the garage as Christmas approaches. Looking forward to hanging out here a bit and learning from the community.

Welcome to The Village, Matt. I've only been scrolling for about a year and a half and have learned a lot from the members of this forum. Please post some of your work so we can enjoy your efforts. You'll find that we are family here and you'll receive a lot of praise as well as very constructive criticism.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Here are a handful of compound cuts I've produced in the last few months. The candle is a favorite pattern of mine and I cut it in the last few days after joining the forum. Building a jig to has helped with the consistency quite a bit. I like cutting other people's patterns but look forward to designing and finishing my own projects. (I plan to give away several of the little birdhouses once I figure out how to finish them.)

IMG_20221006_183959943.jpg

IMG_20221006_184108771.jpg

IMG_20221006_184150558.jpg

IMG_20221006_184241707.jpg

Those are mighty fine.  I also enjoy compound cutting and have done some.  It always amazes me, when you pell away the waste, there is something inside that piece of wood that was not there before.  One of my favorites is from JEplans.com.  If you click on "all plans' and scroll down you will find a Christmas Nutcracker.  I have made four of them, very fun to build and paint.  I have made them the size of the pattern and enlarged the pattern by about 20%.  Some how every time I make one, it disappears.  

On 10/9/2022 at 10:37 AM, OCtoolguy said:

Welcome from So. Cal. I too love compound 3-D cuts. Your pics are great and I'd love to get your plans.

Thank you @OCtoolguy The little bird houses are from the Scrollsaw Workshop: Compound Cut Bird House and Stand

The candle and ornaments are from Diana Thompson's book: Compound Christmas Ornaments for the Scroll Saw. It's got patterns of varying complexity and was money well spent.

Edited by MidwestTrudell

On 10/9/2022 at 9:23 AM, scrollerpete said:

Welcome to the village, you will find knowledgeable and friendly people that truly enjoy making sawdust. Your 3D cuttings are excellent, may I suggest for the miniature bird houses to glue different thickness of wood to add a new flavour to it.

Thank you @scrollerpete! Laminating some different colored wood is an excellent idea which I look forward to experimenting with.

Edited by MidwestTrudell

On 10/8/2022 at 2:07 PM, Scrappile said:

Those are mighty fine.  I also enjoy compound cutting and have done some.  It always amazes me, when you pell away the waste, there is something inside that piece of wood that was not there before.  One of my favorites is from JEplans.com.  If you click on "all plans' and scroll down you will find a Christmas Nutcracker.  I have made four of them, very fun to build and paint.  I have made them the size of the pattern and enlarged the pattern by about 20%.  Some how every time I make one, it disappears.  

Thank you @Scrappile There's a great sense of relief when the "Hidden Art" is revealed - especially on complex cuts that take a lot of time. I now have JEPlans bookmarked and will have to consider tackling that nutcracker. It looks intense!

Edited by MidwestTrudell

The Nutcracker is pretty easy, even tells you in what order to make the cuts for each piece.  The hair was the toughest for me.  Cutting it I felt there is no way it was going to come out right, but when through cutting, buried in piece of wood is some unruly hair.. It is a fun project.

brothers 3.jpg

Edited by Scrappile