Drill press throat depth

Wichman

As to going beyond the typical drill press throat depth, think outside the box ( and upside down ).

I want to do large live edge panels that are way beyond the throat depth of my current drill press ( 7 1/2" ). I have a dremel plung router ( too much slop ) and the reviews on the drill guides are iffy at best.

So I thought that I could beef up the rafts and mount a drill press upside down above a workbench, remove the head from the column and reinstall the head, what would now be right side down. But most drill presses will not allow this, but there are some. Here is one example:

https://www.grooves.land/bosch-tischbohrmaschine-pbd-bosch-hardware-electronic-pZZa1-2097583520.html?language=en&currency=USD&_z=us&srsltid=AYJSbAd-dcHA4dK5-N-c6ABb6X-Jvf0254o1vej3oStdj7F6thsvPn61w14.

I have not done this myself, yet. Just thinking outside the box. :)

If your just doing 90 deg angles, there are various less expensive drill guides.  Like for drill tapping guides.

But if you need precision angles for bowls then hanging if from rafters might not be good. 

Now the ebay link is interesting,  what if we could mount the rods on the scroll saw arm and use the scrollsaw table for setting drill angles.   Of course the mounting has to be temporary and easy to do.

Me.

Mark Eason

I say "Do it !!"

Though I've never had a ceiling mounted drill press, but I have taken a bench mount version, turned the base around backwards, and let the drill press itself hang off the front of the bench. This was to done be able to drill the center holes in lamp columns before I bought a floor standing drill press. Several stackable boxes placed on the floor, provided the support for the work, with box re-stacking when the max depth of the spindle and bit was reached. The drill press table was still useable for short work in this arrangement. I now have a floor standing drill press and two bench mounted. The one mounted backwards is long gone. 

I recently mounted a photography tripod on the ceiling though. It was done to digitize large posters. I placed them on the floor with tape markings on the floor for corner positioning, so I could put all of them in the same position. Then pointed the camera straight down and zoomed the lens to fill the frame with the poster, and used a wireless trigger to take each shot to minimize vibration.

Please take photos of your ceiling mounted drill press. They will be interesting. Thinking Outside The Box is sometimes necessary. I think you've got a winner there.

Charley 

I've previously posted about mounting a dremel drill press holder above my work bench upside down.

I've been using mine for about 3 years now without any problems for all my flat work progects.  I've been able to do panels as large as 24 x36. Actual depth is just about 11 inches. (Limited only by where the upside down mounting surface is off the wall.)

Another Limitation is only the depth of material to be drilled because of the dremel high speed.  When drilling 3/4 material with a longer small bit the bit tends to burn and not plung perectly straight throug the wood.  However for 1/8 and 1/4 panels it is more than accurate enough using the very small bits for 2/0 blades.  

The dremel drill press is not a heavy duty piece, but has been working well for me.  However, my original small dremal tool I was using did burn up.  I replaced it with a little more pricy model which has been going strong for quite a while now.

Here is a copy of the previous post I made:

This is my solution!

The Dremel drill press as is, because of it is only 3" from the bit to the post, is imparactical to use for drilling blade holes in almost any fretwork larger than 6" wide.  However, I had the idea in my head I could do something to make it work and Home Depot near me had the Dremel Drill Press/Tool Station in stock for $45.   I took a chance (knowing I could return it if I could not make it work) and bought it this morning.  After I got it home and did some investigating how I could make it work the light bulb lit up in my brain and this was the result.

941937913_Drillpress1.thumb.jpg.195d8f1cca4ff116ee38195c7fce13ef.jpg1963796947_Drillpress2.thumb.jpg.b1f60de1a1d43e96f6e2d62ddf67b0f9.jpg100408088_Drillpress3.thumb.jpg.ade207b00bbad53b207c5d6fb1459e38.jpg1176319831_Drillpress4.thumb.jpg.2a383b2511b9b3848bf2181332f71b5b.jpg

There is a shelf above my workbench that was just the correct height to allow me to mount the base upside down. I slid the Drill press body on the post opposite of what is normal.  The press can be rotated around the post allowing it to be swung out of the way if necessary.  I use a piece of 1/4" ply as a drill backer and set the stop so the bit will not punch into the workbench top.  Very easy to locate the bit ove the point where the hole is needed.  From the bit to the wall is about 11"  so as positioned it can accomodate panels up to about 22" wide.  

I have two Dremel Rotary Tools so this one will be a dedicated drill for drilling blade holes, although the tool holder body can be rotated up to 90 degrees and used for other operations. 

I don't think I will be braking as many drill bits with this setup.

I located it near the rear corner of the workbench so it should not interfere tooooooo much with other workbench usage.  

As the say, where there is a will there is a way.  And when space is at a premium, you have to think outside the box and make evey square inch count.

Edited by FrankEV

1 hour ago, oldhudson said:

I'm not sure what dimension you're calling the throat. The distance from the chuck to the support column or from the chuck to the table?

The distance from the center of the chuck to the column is the "throat"

The "swing" is the "throat" x 2

Other important specifications are

spindle travel or work stroke; how thick a piece you can drill through "without additional setup"

max distance from table to chuck or spindle

table tilt some are limited to 45 degrees (if you want to drill holes in the ends of long pieces you need at least 90 degrees)

type of table

type of table mount ( this can be important if you want auxiliary tables )