Chess sets.

Dave Monk

7 hours ago, rjweb said:

Dave, what can I say you are a true craftsman, beautiful work, I hope in my next life I too can do the quality work that you do,  I guess these are for sale for an upcoming event, or an order, thx RJ 

I will show them at a future event. I kind of doubt if the top pieces will sell. They will be fairly pricey and they are very fragile. It took me about an hour to cut each one and then I had to sand and finish. They will shatter if they would hit the floor. 

9 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Dave is the second set a Diana Thompson pattern?   i want to make a set, and am going to see if I can. 3D cut "alternative Ivory".  It would make beautiful pieces but I do not know how dfficult it would be to cut on a scroll saw.  I use to turn on a lathe.

I got it out of the book "The Art of the Scroll Saw."  I have several patterns of chess pieces but that is my favorite. I would be interested to see if you can cut the Ivory. Would you have to polish it after you cut it?

@Dave Monk

Ha, I have that book also.. I new I had seen that before.  I have a piece of the alternate ivory left from my pen making days.  I am going to give it a try one of these day.  I do not know about the finish.  That could be difficult.  Also, I can not find it thick enough to make a chess piece, so the question is will it hold if I glue two pieces together.  But I think it would make beautiful chess pieces if it worked.